It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Tomala wrote:
Quote:
Do you for one minute think that they were going to start making it all up a couple of days before season two of MOUL was going to start?

And here I thought that was the genius that made it last the whole year round.

Reminds me of the Nick White escapades and its depth and over arcing story lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Dakro, my concept is set in D'ni, I believe that using my own textures for establised content/architecture, is the highest form of disrespect to Cyan. It is close-minded to question the quality of something you have never played. Did you know many game developers in the past have been /hired/ by the companies they "modded" for? (And a number of them have used the original company's assets to do so, even)

And, to be honest, "Cyan-Quality" is not about the originality, in my opinion, it is the depth of the setting. Which is something I'm working carefully on. As for lighting and sound, you'll just have to play the Age, to find out, I guess, won't you?

To RAWA and Cyan: Thank you for the response, that does indeed give me the missing piece to understand that. I was a part of Uru during UU, though only for a short period during D'mala, to be exact. I missed those posts as well, and sadly, missed a great deal of the things that happened in MOUL, only linking in on 14th of January 2008. Missing much of the story aspect, and only getting to see the wait for Season 2. As a result, for the story aspect, I only have the opinions of others to go on, and most of those are overwhelmingly negative. I have however, taken a fair bit of time to study, as it were, the Prologue period, and things that have occured during the past with regards to age creation. All I got to see in MOUL, was a vast quantity of content that appears mostly unchanged from the PotS ages I'd played around with for the umpteenth time just before trying out MOUL. Note, that MOUL was also the first subscription based online game I ever felt was "worth it" to subscribe to. Until then, I'd felt subscription based games were a waste of time and money. To find out I was paying more than many (being an Australian), for the privilege of interacting in MOUL, was a bit of a kick to the gut, really, especially seeing the content that was around.

However, RAWA, thankfully has explained a bit better the reasoning for that. Lack of staff sounds a rather plausible reason for the content, or lack thereof. Its a pity, though.

To further discuss Dakro's comments: Dakro, I would be pleased to see what you think, when the location is completed. Its far more than just the pub, however, the Pub will likely be the first release. Don't knock what you don't know, just yet. Sound and finalising the lighting is the next step, when I get around to making some more alterations to the Age as it stands at present. As for story, Dakro, read my IC blog, and maybe you'll see what is going on there, perhaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with mtn'man, although faster releases would have been more fun of course (even Cyan wanted to release things earlier), but that just wasn't possible. And it's true that they had a storyline for season two; Rand Miller said so much at Mysterium, that there was a whole lot more story they wanted to tell us.

Such a shame the second season was canceled, because then Uru would have really taken off. All new content would be new. I'm still interested in all the new locations that were added to the DRC Age list. It's just a list of course, but it tells me that Cyan had quite some worked-out ideas to expand the city (like the Ae'gura Aquarium).

Also, when there was a break after the first season, Cyan was still positive that the second season would continue (I recall greydragon telling us all not to worry). They probably developed some content during the break that we never got to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:14 pm 

RAWA wrote:
Negilahn - (...) Then in MOUL, with the "renegade Bahro", the Age was completely redesigned to incorporate the Bahro destruction and the other pods and puzzle surounding the pods was added. Most of Negilahn's original modeling survived the re-design, but it had to be completely rewired and puzzle elements added, etc. The lack of the original design for Negilahn's ecosystem was now a perfect story fit with the destruction caused by the renegade Bahro.

Wait... I hope you aren't saying that all those animals were left out of the MOUL version ON PURPOSE just to make the age fit in the storyline... are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:50 pm 

mtn'man wrote:
New ages are a great bonus, but the story *IS* our game of URU.

Remember. For many solo play and puzzle solving is their joy in Uru. The D’ni story serves as a series of clues and a frame for solving several puzzles. Many of those players couldn’t care less about the IC story that role players were into. The mix of adventure story line, current IC story the explorers created, or at least shaped, is part of what makes Uru a complex game with a diverse fan base. Don’t get trapped in just seeing Uru in your own personal preferences.

kaelisebonrai wrote:
I believe that using my own textures for establised content/architecture, is the highest form of disrespect to Cyan.

I’m not sure why one would think creating a Myst style look would be disrespectful to Cyan. Imitation is a form of appreciation. We see that in many art forms where an artist uses a style because they like it and want to create their interpretation with that form of expression. Devokan has a Myst-Uru look and feel without using Cyan assets.

>>JP<< wrote:
Wait... I hope you aren't saying that all those animals were left out of the MOUL version ON PURPOSE just to make the age fit in the storyline... are you?

I think they were released into SL. Their cross breeding could explain the chaos there. :?

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:05 pm 

Until Cyan arranges for tools and plug ins and a process for adding REAL new content to MOUL all the new work being done is a good learning experince but will never be seen in the real MOUL

thanks RAWA for sharing that info again, it is great how open Cyan has always been about the process.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps, instead of folks going around saying what will and won't be in MOUL, it would be best if we waited for Cyan to say what would and wouldn't be in it.

Last edited by Tweek on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:12 pm 

:shock: OMG now you're being rational... :roll: :D

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 pm 

Nalates wrote:

lol yes! Close the forums until further notice what!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:

Didn't you hear that this was declared a logic free zone?

We've got to fix this logic issue.

2 + 2 = 5

1 + 1 = 169

2^1/2 = 5.666666666666666666666666666666666666666666667

log 10 = 0

Bohr's atomic model is absolutely correct.

MOUL was good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:06 am 
Obduction Backer

And don't forget the gripping storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:56 am 

Hoikas if Uru is SUCH a bad game..

Why are you here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 am 
Obduction Backer

AdamJohnso wrote:
2 + 2 = 5

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 am 
Obduction Backer

Tweek wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
2 + 2 = 5

We have always been at war with Eurasia.

God, Tweek, you made my day! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Dakro wrote:
Hoikas if Uru is SUCH a bad game..

Why are you here?

Because I get a kick out of tormenting you.

But in all seriousness, I am here only because I have a position in the Guild of Writers. No one else has really wanted to take the lead there, so I run that place; therefore, I must stay in the community to some degree. I am not here because I like Uru. Indeed, playing Uru is like being in fiery abyss to me now. I used to love it, back in the UU days, but Cyan and MOUL killed the dream. I know a lot about Plasma, so I lend a hand where I can.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next