It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:58 am

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:02 am
Posts: 683
Location: Wherever my ages take me.
AdamJohnso wrote:
Dakro wrote:
Hoikas if Uru is SUCH a bad game..

Why are you here?


Because I get a kick out of tormenting you.

But in all seriousness, I am here only because I have a position in the Guild of Writers. No one else has really wanted to take the lead there, so I run that place; therefore, I must stay in the community to some degree. I am not here because I like Uru. Indeed, playing Uru is like being in fiery abyss to me now. I used to love it, back in the UU days, but Cyan and MOUL killed the dream. I know a lot about Plasma, so I lend a hand where I can.


So when you say no one has wanted to take the lead at the GoW, are you implying that the position is open? You've said you don't like Uru anymore, so why not give the position to someone who does? Wouldn't it be stressful to spend time with a community dedicated to a game that, you said yourself, you have no interest in anymore?

Why do you feel obligated? You don't have to stay if you don't want to.

_________________
KI#46415
KI#80658


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 am 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6235
Location: Everywhere, all at once
I once offered to take over the ADM after Sydney's first death (and counting) at the Kadish Tolesa vault. In a secret negotiation "Ethan Hunt," on behalf of the ADM, rejected my offer because he suspected, correctly I should say, that I would turn it into a campfire song group. He wanted conflict dammit!

If I offered my services to relieve Adam, would this be a close parallel?

:P

http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Anti-DRC_Movement

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:06 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:22 am
Posts: 1092
Location: On the bluff
This is no doubt why the Guardians of the Lake never invited you to join their effort in thwarting the lake lighting exercise, JWP - you would have just munched on the pellets and then sung happy campfire songs. :x


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Land of Confusion
AdamJohnso wrote:
Dakro wrote:
Hoikas if Uru is SUCH a bad game..

Why are you here?


Because I get a kick out of tormenting you.

But in all seriousness, I am here only because I have a position in the Guild of Writers. No one else has really wanted to take the lead there, so I run that place; therefore, I must stay in the community to some degree. I am not here because I like Uru. Indeed, playing Uru is like being in fiery abyss to me now. I used to love it, back in the UU days, but Cyan and MOUL killed the dream. I know a lot about Plasma, so I lend a hand where I can.


tormenting :shock: :idea:

How do you think Cyan and Moul killed a dream, and what dream did they kill. Cuz my first experience with Uru Live was with MOUL, and what do you think can be done about it in the mean time. Because you and I both know Uru Live will live on somehow.........the Question is, is there a way it can be done better then it is presently so if and when Cyan actually does release the source code, they'll see what already exist and know that they made the right move this time. and if they don't.........well its being done pretty good any way so its a win win situation........in theory, but again everybody hasta work together either way if its gonna happen. all the potential open source admins need to be able to cooperate.

Perhaps an open source admin and mod age where they can all log in and compare notes as to what works what does not work. their is strength in numbers and although to many cooks spoil the broth I think in this case Assuming that their are gonna be several open source servers to choose from, it would be better for them all to get together and help one another then to compete against each other

In a community a little cooperation can go a long way, one person can push a bolder up a hill but several people working together can push it up faster. think of it as a rhetorical question.

TTFN

_________________
When You have eliminated all other possibilities What ever is left must be the solution

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared


Last edited by Karkadann on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:36 am
Posts: 55
Location: California
Well I mean, Cyan has to pay for having Mystonline.com on the internet right? If they've paid for it to not go down, that has to mean that they want the game kept alive, and they're working their best to try and get it into the hands of the fans.

_________________
-My Explorer Journal/Blog: http://urulive.guildaxis.net/?cat=18
-KI #: TBD


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 2598
Location: Israel
Yeah hoikas if you really hate Uru that much, I say: leave. As soon as possible. Give the job to someone who atleast cares a bit more than you (he doesn't have to like Uru, just not detest it as much as you do).

I indeed noticed that in the past 2-3 years (or maybe more?) you have been extremly negative and grumpy (usually in a very sarcastic way) about every aspect of Uru, the (non writers) Uru community, and Cyan Worlds. I barely see any rational posts by you concerning these things- it's usually over negative and/or sarcastic.Yet I thought maybe something holds you around.

But now that we know that you really hate Uru and only stay because you "have a position", I really think the best for you is to leave as soon as you find a replacment. We'll do just fine without a person who has to stay around and doesn't want to.

And no, this post is not sarcastic and I don't mean to hurt anyone.

_________________
Previously known as "The stranger"


Last edited by ThedStranger on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:37 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 864
Location: Shasta Lake, Superior California
JWPlatt wrote:
I once offered to take over the ADM after Sydney's first death (and counting) at the Kadish Tolesa vault. In a secret negotiation "Ethan Hunt," on behalf of the ADM, rejected my offer because he suspected, correctly I should say, that I would turn it into a campfire song group. He wanted conflict dammit!


I've got the smores ingredients. Where do we wanna set up camp?

_________________
When you shop, insist on free range corn dogs


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Land of Confusion
Well Adam perhaps it is time to retire from the position, stick around long enough to show the new guy the ropes and maybe after a vacation from your position in the GoW you'll have a new perspective. You'll never know....stranger things have happend

_________________
When You have eliminated all other possibilities What ever is left must be the solution

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:27 pm
Posts: 167
I think you would find that even if Adam did step down, either:

a) The new person would similarly not delete the posts *you* want deleted, and so you will still see the same things as you see now. So you would not be any happier.

or

b) They will do as *you* want, and eventually, most everyone who cares will drift to another forum. I don't believe it's a coincidence that moderation at GoW is similar to how it was at Cobbs, and the old Cobbsians are comfortable there.

So no, I don't think a change is in order.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:12 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:14 pm
Posts: 595
Location: DFW Texas
Why hasn't a forum admin stepped in to stop this attempt by some to create a mutiny to overthrow the current leadership of the GoW? Usually you can barely even mention that there is a GoW without the post being deleted.

Rather than random posters (posers) giving ultimatums to those talented individuals that have helped to create tools, procedures and have taken age creating to its current levels in order to place themselves in those postitions of power. Where would we be if those individuals had been in charge all along? Right, nowhere. Y'all please quit the power trips and try to play nice. Just because some in the community are disillusioned with things as they currently are, yet contribute greatly to the tasks at hand, doesn't require the "negativity police" to jump in time after time to tell them to leave. Haven't enough talented people left already? If I had a nickel ...

I have toyed with the idea to spend more time in the GoW resources to learn more about age creating, but seriously, the pettiness of some takes a lot of the fun out of it. It seems like now we've got to have an "us against them" fight every week now. Hasn't the community learned its lessons from the UU days? I guess not.

Personally, I appreciate the varied talents of those that have given the community something to do towards Uru's future. I don't think that much at all of those efforts will be wasted when Open Source Uru Live is finally realized. It was Cyan after all that encouraged the increased roll of the guilds, especially those focused on age building.

_________________
Image<--- Click
"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 2598
Location: Israel
I'm sorry chuckles58, but I thought adam meant he wants to leave but can't because he holds a position at the GoW. After all, he said:

Quote:
I am here only because I have a position in the Guild of Writers...
Indeed, playing Uru is like being in fiery abyss to me now.


To me it seems he really wants to leave. So I suppose he will agree with me when I say he should leave. Unless I read it in the wrong way.

I like the GoW but really one of the most annoying and untrue statement, often repeated by writers, is this:

Quote:
Where would we be if those individuals had been in charge all along? Right, nowhere.


No, not really. The writers are doing an awesome job, and the community will be smaller without them. But really- those individuals have never been in charge on the community, but only on a certain group. Don't let you ego run wild- we can live without you. Live smaller, but live. I don't underestimate the writers, as I said they are doing a great job. But it really annoys me when they say that without them there is no community.

_________________
Previously known as "The stranger"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 1972
Location: Land of Confusion
All Im really saying is if he does not like the Position he has in the GoW that he should take a break from it maybe just a vacation is all he needs but if being in Uru is like what he described he may wanna consider finding a replacement for himself or someone who can take over for him while he does other things to get his mind off of Uru so that when he comes back he will enjoy the Caverns like the rest of us do.

I cant deny that the GoW has done a bang up job on all the extras I have seen for Uru and im not trying to start a mutiny or mess up the power structure of the GoW (as I don't understand it very much) but I think it might be a good Idea if he would perhaps pick a Assistant Technical Director who could pick up the slack when he would really be doing something other then working on something that feels like fiery abyss to him. it may actually be more beneficial to GoW and him in the long run. he could always pick up where he left off after a short briefing of what happens since he left if that is indeed what he decides to do.

_________________
When You have eliminated all other possibilities What ever is left must be the solution

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 12:33 am
Posts: 1182
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Adam is really the only person with direct access to the server that hosts the forums. If something breaks, he's the only one who can fix it.

He's also the person with the most experience administrating phpBB. Last time I tried to edit journal permissions on GoW, I accidentally made it possible for anyone to delete global news items... it wasn't a very pretty sight, but as far as we could tell, there was nothing wrong with the permissions I had set up.

It's also worth noting the same thing that ddb did... even if the administration at GoW changes, the users will not stand for moderation. As soon as posts start being deleted, most of the users will pack up and move off to a different forum.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:14 pm
Posts: 2598
Location: Israel
Quote:
so that when he comes back he will enjoy the Caverns like the rest of us do


By the look of things I don't think he wants to even hear about Uru ever again.

_________________
Previously known as "The stranger"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:15 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:14 pm
Posts: 595
Location: DFW Texas
The Stranger wrote:
Don't let you ego run wild- we can live without you.


Now you want me to leave too? :shock: This community is big enough for all of us without asking/telling others to get lost.

I am not a writer, so I don't have an ego running wild, but I can allow others their space to be in the community in the role they are comfortable and useful. Those telling others to leave are not contributing to the community, they are detracting from it.

_________________
Image<--- Click
"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: