It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 pm 

Quote:
Now you want me to leave too?

No, I was talking to the writers overall.

And no, I don't want them to leave. I don't want anyone to leave. To me it seems you are just looking for people telling you to leave, even though no one did it except for a certain someone whom I won't mention.

If you actually read what I wrote, you find an amazing thing: I don't want the writers to leave. I like the GoW. But are you so essential to us that we won't exist without you? no.

So before coming into conclusion that I'm telling someone to leave, please actually read what I wrote.

As for adam, if you read what I wrote, you will find out the I don't want him to leave against his will- he himself said he hates Uru, and only stays because he holds a position. As I said, if I read it correctly and I believe I did, he wants to leave. So I'm only think he should leave considering staying around isn't healthy for him, and isn't healthy for us.

I am not against adam, and I'm not telling him to leave because he is nagative- I'm telling him to leave because that's what he said he wants to do, maybe not directly, but saying "playing Uru is like fiery abyss to me" means he wants to leave. Again, I would be glad if that not what adam meant.

Last edited by ThedStranger on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:36 pm 

Chuckles58 wrote:
Those telling others to leave are not contributing to the community, they are detracting from it.

Different rules apply when you are trying to convince someone to leave a position, which makes them involved in a game then openly have said they do not like anymore.

Hokas has said openly, on these forums, that he does not like Uru anymore. So why would he bother with being in his position anymore? I've said this before, and I will say it again; Wouldn't it be stressful to spend time with a community dedicated to a game that, you said yourself, you have no interest in anymore?

Why not give the position to someone who actually likes Uru right now at this point? It doesn't matter if you were interested in Uru at one time, it matters if you are interested in it here and now.

Let's give another example of the situation.

It's like joining a fanclub that is interesting in playing card games, when you hate playing card games. Sure, you may have liked playing cards a long time ago, but since you have no interest in playing cards anymore, why stay around? Why not give the position to someone who enjoys playing card games? It makes no sense to me.

I keep hearing the argument that Hoikas knows a lot about the website and things like that. It's one thing to have knowledge about how to manage websites and such, it is something else to have dedication for what you are running the website for; which is Uru. Anyone can learn how to manage websites, wikis and stuff like that, it is something totally different when it comes to being passionate about what you are doing this for.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, this is just how I see it.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
This seems to be a simple case of fear of the unknown on one side and much nose-thumbing on the other side.

Those who don't have the knowledge and expertise to do what the hackers do can't understand their motivation and fear their power. (And, it doesn't help that the word, "hack" just sounds bad to start with.) Then, some of the hackers fuel that fear by criticizing Cyan, especially with regards to how they've handled Uru.

Which results in, "Omigawd, they hate Cyan and want to hack Uru to death."

Now, if a hacker could simply explain (without a defensive tone) to the technofeebs what they do (in laymen's terms) and why they do it, and how hacks can or have benefited Cyan/Uru... perhaps it could begin a more civil dialogue here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:09 pm 

Unfortunately, any such a post would be deleted as soon as it began mentioning anything that violates the EULA.

Cyan seems happy to acknowledge the results of hacks, but not the hacks themselves.

Jamey wrote:
It's one thing to have knowledge about how to manage websites and such, it is something else to have dedication for what you are running the website for; which is Uru.

He doesn't run it for Uru, he runs it for Plasma hackers and Age developers; that does not necessarily mean Uru.

Last edited by Paradox on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:48 pm 

Maybe the Mods/Cyan can make an exception if this is indeed the case.

I know I'd certainly like to hear another perspective (without a defensive tone of course as Tai'lahr said)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:02 pm 

I'm working on a (long) blog post about this, and I'll post the link when I'm done :)

EDIT: It's up - http://paradox22.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/what-we-do/

Last edited by Paradox on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jamey wrote:
Why not give the position to someone who actually likes Uru right now at this point? It doesn't matter if you were interested in Uru at one time, it matters if you are interested in it here and now.

Agreed. Its bad enough not having a Cavern, not to mention the amount of time which has passed since closure, without counter-productive malcontention as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ghame wrote:
Agreed. Its bad enough not having a Cavern, not to mention the amount of time which has passed since closure, without counter-productive malcontention as well.

Mal-content they may be, but counter-productive? Hardly. Indeed, if GoW had been filled with the personality-type that acquiesces to Cyan at every step, I suspect it would have accomplished little. That's not a knock against Cyan, but a recognition that a little mal-contentedness can be productive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:13 am 

Well that kinda depends on the recipient

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
I'm a member of the Guild of Writers and I haven't accused them of anything. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:44 am 

Greendragoon, you are slacking… roll those accusations out.

When Prologue was running Uru Obsession was overly protective of Cyan’s rights. Even explaining how to back up the game was not permitted and considered a hack, which lead many to use Clockwork. The concept of hacking was very negative.

I agree with Zardoz’s point about what fans would have accomplished if they had been Cyan compliant. I remember the closing Cyan words, Repeat after me. There is no hope. There is no hope. There is no hope. There might not be any fan ages, if we had only listened to Cyan.

Paradox’s blog post is great.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:50 am 

I kinda get the feeling a hard drive is more like a community then most people realize, in that when it starts to fragment to severely its gonna take that more time to get anything running.

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:22 pm 

Jamey wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
This month, popular topics have included:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18618
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18545
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18558
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17653
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18497
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18449

You really don't care about Uru any more, do you? You must realize that we want to help. Most of us who are skilled in C++ want to help you. You know who we are. We're the same people who create and maintain things like PRPExplorer, PyPRP, and libPlasma. But wait, what's that about outside help? You don't accept it or even see where it is being offered. What do we have to do, parade into Rand's office in the nude to get your attention? Hand us a contract and we will make Uru live again.

If there is no response to any of these topics or an announcement of any sort, then this will be considered direct confirmation that you do not care about Uru any more. If you don't care, then I know I sure as heck don't.

(Note to mods: Yes, this deserves a separate topic. However, yes, I do feel your pain at all of the separate topics on the same issue.)

So let me get this straight; If Cyan does not have the time to respond to any of the topics listed, that means they automatically don't care about Uru anymore?

That's totally ridiculous!

They seem to have time to post to other sections and threads of this forum, if you'd care to check. Its only this one they are ignoring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:40 pm 

jmdoggett wrote:
Jamey wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
This month, popular topics have included:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18618
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18545
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18558
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17653
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18497
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18449

You really don't care about Uru any more, do you? You must realize that we want to help. Most of us who are skilled in C++ want to help you. You know who we are. We're the same people who create and maintain things like PRPExplorer, PyPRP, and libPlasma. But wait, what's that about outside help? You don't accept it or even see where it is being offered. What do we have to do, parade into Rand's office in the nude to get your attention? Hand us a contract and we will make Uru live again.

If there is no response to any of these topics or an announcement of any sort, then this will be considered direct confirmation that you do not care about Uru any more. If you don't care, then I know I sure as heck don't.

(Note to mods: Yes, this deserves a separate topic. However, yes, I do feel your pain at all of the separate topics on the same issue.)

So let me get this straight; If Cyan does not have the time to respond to any of the topics listed, that means they automatically don't care about Uru anymore?

That's totally ridiculous!

They seem to have time to post to other sections and threads of this forum, if you'd care to check. Its only this one they are ignoring.

Because it is not necessary since they have given an update on URU. It does not mean that Cyan does not care about Uru anymore, just because they have not responded to any of the topics listed which are now, at this point, have little point to them.

These topics listed were made in response to little to no communication from Cyan. Are we saying that because Cyan did not post the update specifically in any of the topics listed, that they don't care about Uru anymore?

Again I say, totally ridiculous.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:05 am 

I'm telling you guys, these sorts of threads have to stop. The original thread is whining. This does not help us and in fact does quite the opposite, showing that we are splintered in our motivations and that we feel we are entitled to Cyan's attention. This will fix nothing.

I recommend we all cease posting in this topic.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next