It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:05 am 

A big Thank You to Rand for the update on MORE
It's not hard to understand the situation for Cyan
Why not go for the fee soloution? According to the poll done by Karkadann earlier here, there are 153 fans that are willing to pay a fee. Even a quite moderate fee would allow Cyan to employ a person half-time to get this going. And after it is all up and running -- keep the person for other tasks.
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:34 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Cyan for the Update :)
Best wishes -hope you'll manage to get your head over the surface.
Thank you very much for not giving up.!!
I'll look forward to that sunny day where you launch open source

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:16 am 

Which post are you referring to? Please link it. There is a lot of random information with some good information hidden and it takes a long time to filter it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:36 am 

Xeneros wrote:
Which post are you referring to? Please link it. There is a lot of random information with some good information hidden and it takes a long time to filter it.

This is the poll:

http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17653

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:17 am 

Xeneros wrote:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18766

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:49 am 

thomasa wrote:
A big Thank You to Rand for the update on MORE
It's not hard to understand the situation for Cyan
Why not go for the fee soloution? According to the poll done by Karkadann earlier here, there are 153 fans that are willing to pay a fee. Even a quite moderate fee would allow Cyan to employ a person half-time to get this going. And after it is all up and running -- keep the person for other tasks.
Thomas

And what if things get complicated and nothing is delivered within the time frame allowed by voluntary fees?

I think the pressure and impatience to get anything up and showing has rested with Cyan more than with the fans. With the MQ thing up and running there is a showcase of Cyan technology up and running that has great potential. Also it is something that is not labeled MYST and that is good. I hope that this takes pressure off Cyan a little, and I rather have MORE than open source anyday. I know that most here disagree.
But mostly I'm surprised to get a notice of renewed commitment to URU-live. Now I hold my thumbs that MQ-online is well recieved by the MQ audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, RAWA for the update! It's great to see something in Announcements and News. I look forward to the next update.

The repost for discussion is here - http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18767

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:56 pm 

Rudolfson wrote:
And what if things get complicated and nothing is delivered within the time frame allowed by voluntary fees?

Yep, you've got a point there. They need to get things going before getting the money. But that could be solved i guess... maybe with some kind of pre-order to secure that they get the first payment when MORE eventually is up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:07 pm 

Bringing up the question if there are enough enthusiasts to cover costs by a fee; in the poll there are some 190 people that would be willing to pay a fee. In the memberlist in this place -- www.mystonline.com -- i find 50 on each page and 287 pages which equals 14 350 members! Is that really right? So many? Am I missing something? If I'm right there should really be enough people to make a moderate fee sufficient for CYAN to go that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:30 pm 

thomasa, the members list is numbered... as of 11/26/09 at 12:57 PM PST there are 14,347 signups. Most of the members of other Uru fan forums are signed up here too. So, this one is used as the most comprehensive number.

Some people have more than one account. Some forgot their account and opened a new one... Some have never posted... The number is often used as the number of fans. I think it is generally accepted the actual number is something less. No one knows how much less. Because some fans on other forums have not signed up here it is more difficult to tell. Plus there were more than 14k fans in Prologue and MOUL. One knows the real number. There is not way to reach all the fans.

There are about 200 to 300 active posters here, which is an approximation and subjective. I have not figured out a way to get objective and an accurate count. We have a poll and count of those that have seen the poll. There are likely some more.

There are about 600 Uru fans in SL of which about 300 logon each month. (Based on a count of D'ni Refugee members). The more active SL players post here. So, say there are another 200 that might be willing to kick in.

There are a few hundred in Guild Wars. There is some duplication between SL and GW. I think it is a small percentage. See the Uru Obsession forum for GW players.

In all I think there are 500 to 1,000 that may help.

I suspect if you are missing anything it is that not all fans will be willing to pay a fee. The number of those that will and for how long is so nebulous it is unlikely Cyan will base a decision on it.

Several have voiced their opinion that they want something of value for their money. Fair enough. Others think it should be free. When one adds the question of for how long...

It seems to repeatedly boil down to someone fronting the time, effort and money.

The funding of the new Uru Obsession hosting account shows there are people willing to step up. However, I will point out it was very clear what they would be accomplishing with their donations.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you for the update.:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you Rand, RAWA, (& Chogon...who brought us safely to this point..) My thanks to fellow Fans, too..I get a lot out of your Posts.

As for Lists (numbers of (earlier) active supporters) dont forget these http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17230&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 and this ...http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4443&highlight= (Not sure if Nalates used thse but it kinda helps confirm some numbers I think)(and Thanks Nalates !)

But it would be nice to know if a critical path MORE Plan is in place somewhere (No specific schedule) ...or even available to the Fans ? ...Someday ?

I have to (re-) conclude that the official name is indeed MORE, right ?

Cyan Worlds can do no wrong.......

Abjab

Hi All !!.....Myst'ya !.....

Post subject: Sorry about MOUL Cyan
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:56 pm 

I can understand how cyan feels about MOUL being pushed back. We know this is a hard problem for you. I agree if cyan decided to open up the server for a fee. To help cyan I would diffidently pay for it. Even if there was no new contents. Just to help get the open source process started again. The other option I would suggest to cyan is what about help from the guild of writers. I'm sure cyan might of considered this option already. But I have no clue on that though. It just a idea to get the ball rolling again. I'm sure the guild of writers could help out if cyan willing to get there help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:48 pm 

Nalates wrote:
I suspect if you are missing anything it is that not all fans will be willing to pay a fee. The number of those that will and for how long is so nebulous it is unlikely Cyan will base a decision on it.

Several have voiced their opinion that they want something of value for their money. Fair enough. Others think it should be free. When one adds the question of for how long...

You're right about that. When thinking about it, the idea with a fee doesn't go to well together with open source either.
Thanks a lot for the excellent summary. Very interesting.
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:10 pm 

We could organize a drive to get the whole fanbase to buy new copies of Cyan Worlds games on a particular day.

This is a good alternative because:

A) It doesn't require Cyan Worlds to set up a new funding system - it uses what's already in place (game-buying) to support Cyan Worlds.
B) It would result in fans getting something of value even if the drive fails to speed up release of Uru. The games we buy can be played, given as gifts, resold, etc.
C) Doing it all on one day could draw Cyan's attention - we could tell Cyan Worlds as a group, that we're doing this to fund the reopening of Uru. The sudden spike in sales might also temporarily boost the sales ranking of Myst for the iPhone, and put it back into a few top 25 lists - thus increasing peoples' awareness of it and amplifying the effect of our purchases.

I suggest that we choose a date around Dec. 16-18 - late enough that MQO might already be available to purchase, late enough that we have time to organize the drive, but early enough that the purchases can be given at Christmas as gifts.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next