It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:48 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

I won't buy copies of games I already have, nor will I buy game for platforms I don't have, such as the iPhone. I am probably going to buy chapter 1 of MagiQuest Online when it comes out -- I want to see what it's like.

If and when open source Uru comes around, I'll evaluate whether I'll pay a fee for things such as getting on certain shards. I not going to pay to have Cyan do open source Uru, but that's me. Other people may feel differently.

Thanks for posting RAWA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:16 pm 

The only thing that's new here is the refreshingly candid tone of the news post.

But it's still not clear if we're a year out, or longer (or longer), from the Open Source release; this seems to be the most "severe" of the status updates we've had so far, but the Uru news would've applied at almost any previous time they were talking about Uru after the GameTap closure - times are tough, money is tight, it won't be out for a long while. At least they're indicating the difficulty of the release in plain English this time instead of putting a brave (but wrong) spin on it. They were digging into these issues before, and either didn't want to believe it would take so long or just decided we didn't need to know about it. I guess we haven't, since other companies / interests are taking up our time (aside from the people who voted "yes" on the Pay for Uru poll and apparently believe the grass is always greenest on this side). It has had the side benefit (for Cyan) of directing some attention from Myst fans towards MagiQuest, which is fine. As always I wish the company the best of luck.

The issues of fees (paying a minimal fee for a Cyan-run server is reasonable but it's not what was said earlier) and servers (shards or no shards - c'mon Cyan, is this really Open Source or not?) leaves a bad taste from having been misrepresented earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:18 pm 

Well, I can see your point.

I was just trying to do something constructive. *sigh*

But I understand why people won't pay for a game that they already have, and the concept of buying Cyan games runs into the same problem as before, which is that we don't know if it'd make a difference. :(

But to me it was worth suggesting, maybe because I tend to want to do something to make Uru happen - even if it didn't end up working, at least I'd know I'd tried, and I thought this had a possibility of success - if the fans got behind it, which obviously most didn't.

I understand that. I guess the pessimistic view is more realistic - indeed, you wouldn't know it looking at my posts, but when it comes to some things, I'm an incurable pessimist.

I have some pretty glaring personal flaws, not the least of which is my autism. Which is probably why I don't see things realistically here, I lack common sense.

So I say and do clueless, idiotic things here (as everywhere) and hate myself for it, feel like no matter how hard I try I realize I'll never be human, never be normal, never be able to think like other people think.

Sometimes I fantasize about leaving human society altogether, sequestering myself in some cabin in the woods and forsaking all human contact so my screwed-up-ness won't bother anybody anymore.

I'm well-intentioned but a lot of what I do is misguided and comes across very badly due to poor social skills and lack of common sense.

I live in constant fear that something I did that I meant to be good, will unexpectedly turn out to be evil and wrong; I'm like a dog who cowers but has no clue what it did wrong because it's stupid and clueless - and so am I, I'm stupid and clueless.

I wish I could explain why the Myst series, and Uru, mean so much to me - I know they're just games, really, but in some way those worlds felt real to me. They were an escape into another reality. They were beautiful and peaceful, and there was something about those other worlds that freed me from my own.

When I imagine heaven, I imagine it being like that in a way, only better and more real than these games ever could be - being this continual journey of exploration and discovery of things that are varied and wondrous and beautiful, going from amazing experience to amazing experience, each one unique, and the number of them infinite.

In some small way, the Myst series tapped into that desire we have to explore places and realities beyond the ordinary.

It's a common trait of Aspies to have "obsessions" - and one of mine is the Myst/Uru series (for better or worse).

I don't know, I guess I'm having trouble letting go of this, and I don't like the sense of helplessness - the sense that there's little to nothing I can do to bring that back; I wanted to suggest something - anything - that might help make it happen.

Even if it was stupid and naive and unrealistic. I just wanted to do something. But I'm starting to realize, maybe, there's not really anything I can do.

:(

And honestly, I need to move on.

And I think I will if nothing much new happens in this series in the next year or so.

If MagiQuest Online flops, Uru doesn't go Open Source, the Myst Movie doesn't get made, and the Myst series really dies, yeah, I'll move on - but even then, the ideas and style of Myst will still stick with me, influencing my future work.

I think the same is true of many people; the surreal imagery or ambient music or fantasy style or puzzle design, or storyline, or the idea of linking to other worlds - these things will live on long after Myst finally is gone.

But I don't think we're at that point yet. And I hope we don't get to that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:31 pm 

matthornb wrote:
I was just trying to do something constructive. *sigh*

You did :D Don't feel bad if people think differently. It's all just part of a big discussion; there's hardly a way to establish any definite right or definite wrong on most of the topics being discussed. The fact that some are a bit louder than others on Forum don't make them into spokesmen of anything else but their own thoughts.

And we all can relate to your feelings for URU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:11 pm 

What are you talking about, matthornb? you got great logic, and I'm always enjoying you posts :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Just because I don't plan to buy new copies of old games doesn't mean your post was bad matthornb! That's what we do around here. We talk about stuff.

I agree with you Ed Oscuro. RAWA's post appeared to be good, great, honest, but we no timeline. I tend to think we are quite far out, if open source Uru (open Uru?) is ever going to happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:12 pm 

I agree, Matthornb. Heck, I have bought extra copies of some Cyan games because I knew it would help the company, not that I needed them. For example, I have both the CD copies of Uru, and the downloadable version as well. Your ideas aren't orders, after all. You have just as much right to say them as I do to say mine. Now, if you had said, "Here ye! Here ye! I command all fans to buy many copies of Cyan games on Dec. 15! Let it be done!" Besides getting a chuckle out of many, and probably a terse reply or two, Nothing else would have happened. It's kinda like all the posts I read about people attempting to arrange the eventual Uru release into something they can control - I just smile. They'll do what they want, and I'll do what I want - live and let live, eh. So please don't feel badly because you want to help the game we all love succeed. I, for one, like reading your posts :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Matthornb

that was a poignant post. I don't think you should beat yourself up. I didn't see anything wrong in your post, although I didn't necessarily agree with all of it. I'm sure many of us have posted things here that we've later regretted slightly- it's only human to do so. Nobody here should mind unless it's openly abusive, and your posts never are in my experience.

As to your frustration, I think we all share that. I think the hard thing is that there doesn't seem to be anything that we can do. We're waiting on others doing something. It's out of our control. That's always hard. But I guess we all think there is something here worth waiting for, and RAWA's recent posts confirm that. Hang on in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:44 am 

matthornb wrote:
We could organize a drive to get the whole fanbase to buy new copies of Cyan Worlds games on a particular day.

This is a good alternative because:

A) It doesn't require Cyan Worlds to set up a new funding system - it uses what's already in place (game-buying) to support Cyan Worlds.
B) It would result in fans getting something of value even if the drive fails to speed up release of Uru. The games we buy can be played, given as gifts, resold, etc.
C) Doing it all on one day could draw Cyan's attention - we could tell Cyan Worlds as a group, that we're doing this to fund the reopening of Uru. The sudden spike in sales might also temporarily boost the sales ranking of Myst for the iPhone, and put it back into a few top 25 lists - thus increasing peoples' awareness of it and amplifying the effect of our purchases.

I suggest that we choose a date around Dec. 16-18 - late enough that MQO might already be available to purchase, late enough that we have time to organize the drive, but early enough that the purchases can be given at Christmas as gifts.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Sorry, but in this economy, I'm not going to go out and start buying boxed copies of games I already own, and even if I had the money I wouldn't do it. I expect you're going to get a similar response from most other people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:27 am 
Obduction Backer

At this point most of us own multiple copies of the various games anyway.

I think I have 4 or 5 copies of Uru in various forms, my wife has 2 or 3 herself, not to mention the 2 copies of Myst 5 each, 3 copies of Exile, 2 of Revelation, 2 of Riven, 3 of Myst (all each).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:35 am 

The only Myst games that I've purchased once are realMyst and Myst V. (I only bought Revelation twice because I crushed one of the discs under a chair leg.) The winner is Exile with four copies. I originally bought it on CDs, then bought the 10th anniversary DVD edition and then both copies of Revelation included an Exile DVD as a bonus. Typically if I bought additional copies it was because it was an upgrade of sorts, so I don't see myself buying any more Myst games anytime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:30 am 
Obduction Backer

While some publishing rights are probably still tied up with their publishing partners, it might be nice if Cyan could sell at least some of their own products directly, either through their website or with something like CD/DVD On Demand through Amazon.

Some soundtracks are already being sold this way, and it ought to be just as viable for out-of-production games as well. It's not practical for mass-sales, as for new releases, but it would still let you continue making some money after demand has fallen off without the need for another production run. You don't need a fancy box either, just CD or DVD case cover inserts and instructions, also printed on demand. This is how a game publisher friend is doing it now, and it works. :)

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:19 am 

:lol: Like poutrew, Tweek and Nerf, I too own multiple copies of the games and I suspect there are a bunch of others like us out there. 8)
Well, then, this only goes to show that matthornb's idea is not bad at all... it's just that we've already done it, though not all in one day like he suggested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yup. Couldn't pass an original copy of Uru with a "Peter Gabriel's latest hit!!1" sticker, or a PSP Myst for my linking book prop which uses a PSP as its core, or a complete EoA special edition. I wouldn't mind a 10th Anniversary Edition, either. So yeah, what Ethan said.^^

Robin has a point. If it's possible, it would be great. I know I'd be redirecting all the friends that I'm lending my games to to a direct buy for their own copies.

IT, thanks for the update. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2