It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:52 pm 

Rusty_Russell wrote:
Quote:
That's why I personally think that multiplayer should not be the main feature in Uru .

I think that The Stranger should go and look up the story of King Knut (Canute). :P

What story is this...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:00 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm assuming he means this, specifically the section near the bottom after the genealogies that is headed "Ruler of the waves". I vaguely knew the tale, but read the whole article thinking it might be something else. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:38 am 

One of the other problems noobs have is fear of being embarrassed. New World Notes wrote about Linden Lab's effort to provide new people homes as part of their sign up. It is too soon to know how well this does or does not work. I think there is little doubt such a problem exists.

The solo start to a point solves the problem. However, not having help available in the form of other players has resulted in a high exit rate for MMOG's.

While many of us have voiced a desire to have homes in Uru, I don't know that will be a viable solution for a large number of players. Or even possible.

I think the greeters in a welcome area are an ideal solution. Since there are likely to be multiple shards, cross shard chat is going to be important for the Greeters.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates

I agree with much of what you say but, having been a shy newcomer when I started in MOUL (it took me ages to pick up the courage to actually talk to someone!) I think you need to balance the availability of greeters in a welcome area with leaving a bit of space for newcomers to wander around and watch things without feeling any pressure to talk to others, or be spoken to by them. For me, I needed to spend quite a lot of time watching the dynamics and effectively lurking in public hoods like GoG before I felt comfortable talking to people. I think an ostensibly well-meaning welcome committee would have sent me fleeing, terrified.

Totally agree about the cross-shard stuff. It will be a nightmare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:53 am 

dnidaz, your point is being seriously discussed in several places. I just read a writer speculating on why Linden Lab (LL) may have dropped their greeter-mentor program in Second Life. For many it made no sense for LL, which is wanting new participants, to disband their mentors. It seems counter-intuitive. However, considering that LL has all manner of stats on their SL users one could assume that the new member retention rate was higher among those that did not meet mentors and thus the decision to drop the program. Chances are good there are numbers of people that feel as you do.

I'm pretty sure MOOU will not have an over abundance of greeters. Also, the tradition of allowing people their space is an Uru tradition, a no spoiler thing. So, hopefully greeters would not turn you and those of a similar nature off. I tend to hang back in RL until I am sure of what is going on.

There are people that like to give back to the community. Their personalities make the idea of working as a greeter attractive and fun. I think we had a good group of greeters. They were there to help and I never experienced them being pushy or TOO helpful.

Balancing all the different aspects of the game and fans different preferences makes balancing the game a unique challenge.

Several of us were wall-flowers in Uru... :D How we ended up in SL, and enjoy it, is still unimaginable. :lol:

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates

interesting about the LL/SL stuff. I registered there recently for the first time (not for Uru/Myst stuff, but steampunk) so I went through the whole first experience thing again and didn't enjoy it much. I struggled to get an avatar anything like I wanted, I struggled with the interface and controls - all pretty usual for a first run at a new world/game. However, the thing that made me log out in the end was that people kept coming up and trying to talk to me! Now I'm pretty sure they were all just being friendly, but it didn't suit me. I haven't been back for weeks, and probably won't - in the end for me the cost/benefit balance didn't yield a net positive.

I think MOUL (my only experience of multiplayer Uru) was much more suited to people like me, which is why I'd be cautious about changing it too much. With hindsight, I loved the fact that you could wander around a busy public area of the city in MOUL and be accepted into ongoing conversations, but rarely get unsolicited solo attempts to engage you in conversation. If you entered a hood well populated with regulars then they would usually welcome you, but accept it if you said little else than "Shorah." I thought the Greeters were great - always welcoming and helpful, but never intrusive. They were the ones who got me out of my shell in the end. I wouldn't want to change all this in what might be a misplaced attempt to make the place more welcoming.

I guess the underpinning question for us and SL is how much of the population is like me. I know from other online discussions that I'm not that unusual. However, I wouldn't like to guess at the proportion of the population. In the end we want to come up with a strategy that welcomes as many different types of people as possible without inadvertently pushing any away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:35 am 

There have been several articles just posted on the first hour experience in SL. I think many of SL’s problems are similar to other VW’s and MOOU’s. In SL’s case it has become a primary concern of Linden Lab (LL). Consider that on average 10,000 per day sign up for SL. Only something like 1% make it through the first month.

One of the unique things they are learning is that it is more important to focus on new players than existing players. After all, existing players are apparently hooked. Making the retention rate something greater than 1% would do wonders for boosting SL’s growth. Most companies freak when the retention rate drops below 95%.

For those interested in what one of the top VW consultants thinks see Gwyneth Llewelyn’s new THE FIRST-HOUR EXPERIENCEit’s a long article. MOOU will have many of the same problems.

Dnidaz, no one tells you that the Info Hubs and Community Gateways, initial landing places now, are swamped with sales people, do-gooders, wanna-be griefers and loads of newbies. Most of SL is not like that. The community gateways are hit and miss. Some are great, some abandoned and some a marketing effort only. Because of that the D’ni Refugees try to welcome new Uruites coming into SL. But, one new to SL has to figure out how to get in touch. So, several here use their full SL name to help out. I wrote SL Explorers’ Guide for Uruites on GoMa. However you do it, get out of the initial landing area. Then click Edit -> Preferences -> General tab and look for the ‘Show Start Location on Login’. Next time you logon select ‘My Last Location’ and avoid the welcome areas. You can make this change just before you logon too.

In many ways having new players come into the hoods and be greeted by the Greeters would be an ideal solution for people with your preferences. The Greeters were low to no pressure. That solution really trashes the storyline. So far a little town outside the Cleft area seems to be one of the better options and a good compromise between the solo and gregarious players and has advantages for the storyline.

One of the interesting things Gwyneth points out in regard to MMOG’s that tend to be successful is the addition of social networking tools. What if you could come into MOOU and have it check your Facebook/MySpace account for email addresses and check for your friends? Then let you spam your friends with sort of a coming out invitation (I’m home…)? Or if you enjoy MOOU then spam your Facebook friends and tell them about MOOU?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
So far a little town outside the Cleft area seems to be one of the better options and a good compromise between the solo and gregarious players and has advantages for the storyline.

QFT now that we're back in the cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:01 am 

You seem to have missed the point of the post you are responding to... ...or I missed your point.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3