It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great post Tai'lahr and Natales. Tai'lahr, that's also a lovely in character explanation, in the fictional world of virtual worlds, of why people are in different worlds. It makes everything coherent from a story perspective. Uru closed and people fanned out into different worlds, sometimes recreating parts of Uru, because they love it so much. It's also a nice way to create worlds and tell stories. Sometimes people say "create your own worlds", but I think it often works out if people start with something other than a blank piece of paper. You can start with the Uru story and world and build on it. That's working out quite well, in my opinion.

And here's the thing -- no one ever needs to go to any of those other worlds, ever, if you don't want to. You can stay in Uru, keep playing the solo player game, keep taking screenshots or manipulating the screenshots you took from MMO Uru days --heck, even purist CrisGer actually manipulates screenshots to put his kitties in the picture! You can keep hoping for Uru to come back, as an MMO. That's one acceptable option. I hope that too, I'm hoping for open source Uru. I'm not unsympathetic to the view of not doing anything pertaining to Uru, though I do think that view would be more palatible to me if we had, you know, a legal way to play an MMO version of Uru.

I think some of us differ in how we think of Uru. I think some people think of Uru as this thing totally and completely separate from the rest of the MMO world, the virtual reality world. I'm being simplistic here, but I suspect that for some -- it's MMO Uru, good, right, different, and the rest of the virtual world MMO space -- not good, not right, not anywhere you should go, all that. Yes, I'm being simplistic for the sake of argument, Even the Uru purists views are more nuanced than that. But --- I happen to see it as more of a continuum, Uru, and other virtual worlds and crossover to Uru stuff -- some of which appeals to me, some does not. To me it's more of a continuum than a wall around MMO Uru and all the other parts of the virtual world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Nalates must be psychic! (But then science that is sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic. ) :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3