It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

With Open Source, should new Shards be allowed?
Yes 67%  67%  [ 41 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
Unsure 20%  20%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 61
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I voted "yes" out of what seems to me like basic necessity (and the nature of open source):

1) If you can't create your own shards, how can you innovate features, and how can you test? You don't want to do crazy feature testing in a production environment, and you're going to need superuser privileges to do your testing anyway.

2) How will you stop people from creating their own shards, if they want to, once they have the source code?

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aside from the fact that we have always had multiple "communities", Uru doesn't scale. How often is it possible to get into the main city, and there are all those neighborhoods you can't find in the Nexus, and there's all that lag. Is this going to be a better playing experience from all the other times?.

From all the evidence -- one shard never worked. I'm having a hard time understanding why it will work this time. What changed? And no one can fix anything. Is Cyan going to fix stuff? Are they going to approve fan ages and load them onto the shard? Cyan didn't have the resources to do this the other times -- it doesn't seem to me that they have the resources to do it this time. I think it would work out well if Cyan could run a server, do the open source agreement thing, set up a data server so you other servers could source the Cyan ages, and see what happens.

I think that if the open source thing happens -- there won't be a zillion shards. Grouping will occur, like minded people will get together and make changes, and popular changes will percolate through the Uru world. Lists of popular shards will crop up -- they always do. Would we have one Uru client -- well, I don't know, but I don't think we'd have dozens of them. It would work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
JWPlatt wrote:
All the above posts appear to be following my 19.2-step program. ;)

Hi, my name is Tai'lahr and I'm an Uru addict.... :wink:

It seems to me that the fear of fragmenting the community is really just a fear of the potential for missing out on something happening in a place/shard where you're not. Where has the community been for the past two years? Here, There, Second Life, Guild Wars, Uru shards... and they all came right back together when the cavern re-opened. Now, after awhile, some will get bored and return to their "other" homes, but still remain connected in the same way they did during the hiatus. Others will stick around, moving Uru towards a new future that will keep those people coming back time after time.

Diversity is good and I believe it's the foundation that makes this community so strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm 

The only things that may fragment the community is peoples Pride and ego's. Keep those in check and there shouldn't be any problems.

leading us down new paths

Walt Disney

Keep moving forward

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3