It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:43 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:19 am 
Obduction Backer

I vaguely (really vaguely, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!) recall reading something that the age itself sets the linking spots possible inside of it, and the ones that can be found via books. If that's true, that means that unless Cyan's planned 3ds plugin includes a way to import ages as well as export, you can't actually do this no matter what you do regarding the 'no touching Cyan ages' rule since we won't be getting the age source. Unless of course a way to define them externally exists, or is written into the source in the future.

As it goes though, the fans here seem to have a real rabid protectionism of Cyan's content, even past the point of what Cyan themselves has said or can do. My views on this are known and were pretty much ignored, so all I can really say is don't let it get to you, and that you might be surprised how quickly people will change their opinions on what can be changed and what can't a few years with total freedom.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nalates wrote:
Aloys wrote:
[...]Now, this won't work in MOULa because you can't add/change Age files, (for security reasons) but it shouldn't be too hard to do in a controlled manner as an actual gamepaly feature when the server/client sources are released.

Each time a linking point was added and an age file updated... wouldn't that create problems for the launcher checking for damaged files?
Yes it would, that why I say that currently it is not possible to do in MOUL. But if someone decided to add an actual feature for that in OSMOUL it would probably be quite simple to do.
(technical details: all we need the client to do is get the current coordinates of the player, create a new PRP with a linking point with those coordinates and update the .Age file and checksum - and then add a book in Relto or add a page to the Age's book)

Gondar wrote:
unless Cyan's planned 3ds plugin includes a way to import ages as well as export, you can't actually do this no matter what you do regarding the 'no touching Cyan ages' rule since we won't be getting the age source. Unless of course a way to define them externally exists, or is written into the source in the future.

That's what I mentionned in my previous post: you don't need to modify the Age's content. You just need to add another file (a 'page') that includes this linking point. But you don't have to import/export the existing Age content.
People have been doing that in offline Ages for years. For a while I had a linking spot at the top of the mountain in my Relto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:27 pm 
Thanks, aloys, that helps me to get my head round what I'm envisaging.

In other words, it would be a functionality that Cyan would have to make available in the course of OS-ing Uru, if they were okay with the idea...but it would be doable. That's what I wanted to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:26 pm 

While we're wishing, how about a way to link back to the Minkata caves after you have solved the age? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 am 

Personally I would find that as cheating in a way if you are able to do this.

Perhaps from a stand point of "I have completed the age, and would like the come back to XYZ every now and then, ok that's not so bad.
But to be able to add them to an active age where the puzzles are not yet complete... I dunno.
I mean yeah, I'd love to not have to walk around Ahnonay everytime, and just be in front of the Linking book, but it's all part of the game in the end.

Custom content, if the age allowed, due to a complex puzzle, you to be able to do this for whatever reason, then yeah why not.

I dunno, suppose just wait to see what Cyan does with the whole thing.

The Book of Ziana: - A fan based Myst novel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 am 

aloys wrote:
Nalates wrote:
Aloys wrote:
[...]Now, this won't work in MOULa because you can't add/change Age files, (for security reasons) but it shouldn't be too hard to do in a controlled manner as an actual gamepaly feature when the server/client sources are released.

Each time a linking point was added and an age file updated... wouldn't that create problems for the launcher checking for damaged files?
Yes it would, that why I say that currently it is not possible to do in MOUL. But if someone decided to add an actual feature for that in OSMOUL it would probably be quite simple to do.
(technical details: all we need the client to do is get the current coordinates of the player, create a new PRP with a linking point with those coordinates and update the .Age file and checksum - and then add a book in Relto or add a page to the Age's book)

Yep been having that problem last night as I gear up to try and finish my shell.

OT I wish people would stop referring to opens sourcing MOUL to OSMOUL, I get tongue tied saying it aloud, and MOOSE is easier to say

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2