It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:18 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Imager and KI font.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:55 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't know if we'll have permission to change this part of the game, but I really would like this to be discussed at some point once MOUL is open sourced:

I hate the fonts used for both the KI and the imagers. I'm not entirely sure what font is being used, but it is not suitable for every use-case, and I think it hinders the usability of the imagers. What boggles my mind is that they aren't even the same font.

Instead, I suggest using a nice fixed-width font.

Here's an example of something that would be incredibly hard to do, if not impossible with the current fonts:
Code:
---------------------------------------------
| NAME    | DESCRIPTION                     |
| Bob     | A boy with a typical name.      |
| Shay    | A girl with an atypical name.   |
| Geoffe  | A boy with an atypical spelling |
|         | of a typical name.              |

Just thought I'd point this out...kind of angry me off tonight when I tried to upload something to my Relto imager and saw it mangled. (after I had spent all that time making sure it looked nice in the KI).
[/code]

Ahda Mor #55503 | Greeter Ahda #1803579

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:34 am 

I completely agree-- and if anybody ever gets the chance to tangle with the whole KI-system, this would be one of many improvements I'd recommend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh, I could write a book on everything that is wrong with the KI's UX design. I'm not going to do that yet, though...I'll wait until there is actually an active project to improve it before I chime in with the major fixes.

I figure changing the font would be fairly simple to do, and would provide a huge improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Does anyone know what font is used for the imagers? I've been trying to figure it out with no luck.

EDIT: It turns out the Imager font is just Arial Normal. I could have sworn that I tried that already, but I guess not :D

So that everyone knows, the imager can hold 31 Ms across and 16 lines down. I don't know if anyone else is anal enough to care, but figuring this out has been really important to me for some reason. Hopefully posting this here will save someone some trouble in the future.

Last edited by adrianbrooks on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:35 pm 

I believe the imagers use Arial, but at a different size than the KI interface.

I would really love for Plasma to support .ttf files so that we could change all the UI fonts to Droid (the set of fonts used by Google's Android OS, which are free and licensed under the Apache license). :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, I was thinking Droid Sans would be a good one. Or maybe Droid Sans Mono/Andale Mono, which would help with the ASCII art.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]