It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:47 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 am 
Obduction Backer

By the way, for anyone without MS Word or wanting to read on-the-go, you can use Google's Document Viewer to read the file: Plasma Plugin Document

TheMagician wrote:
I've created a little site with some video tutorials on the 3D Max Plasma Plugin.
Click here to go to the website

Wow, that's very slick-looking. Good job!

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 pm 

TheMagician wrote:
Hello everybody.

I've created a little site with some video tutorials on the 3D Max Plasma Plugin.
Right now there's something for beginners and more advanced users. I hope to add to it once or twice a month.
My goal is to cover the most important components from the plugin and give some advice on workflow issues.

I would like also to thanks The Magician for his tutorials. Everything is very well explained in a very concise, practicle and simple format. I'm looking foward to see more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:53 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm very glad you like it :)

I've added a new tutorial on how to set up cameras (default age camera, camera transitions, forcing first or third person perspective).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:42 pm 

TheMagician wrote:
Hello everybody.

Right now there's something for beginners and more advanced users. I hope to add to it once or twice a month.
My goal is to cover the most important components from the plugin and give some advice on workflow issues.

Have fun,
Stefan

Wow. Those are some slick tutorials! Hat's off to you sir!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:50 pm 

Stefan,

Your tutorials are absolutely superb. I can't wait to see more! (I'm especially excited for texture application and music, but I think the pace and structure you've chosen is ideal: start with primitives and logic, slowly edge it forward to polished Ages.)

Ergo, I'll be patient. Thank you so much!

Cheers,
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm very glad that you like the tutorials :) Thank you for the nice comments.

You're right Stephen, I tried to start with the basic components. However, I also have to admit that for the more complicated things (like water) I'm still figuring out how to set them up properly myself :wink:

The tutorial on sound effects and background music is in the making. And the next one to be released (hopefully this weekend) is about particles (including presets for rain and snow).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

The tutorial on particles needs some more time.

However, I've added a new category to the site: "3D Max Modeling Tips for Age Creators".
Right now there are 3 quick tutorials in there which don't deal with features of the Plasma Plugin but are some general modeling tips for 3D Max newcomers. I tried to explain workflows which might be useful when creating an age.
-Creating a banister using the spacing tool
-Creating a path on a terrain
-Creating 3D models from simple shapes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:22 pm 

Thanks, Magician!

The embarrassment of riches continues...

Cheers,
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

TheMagician wrote:
The tutorial on particles needs some more time.

However, I've added a new category to the site: "3D Max Modeling Tips for Age Creators".
Right now there are 3 quick tutorials in there which don't deal with features of the Plasma Plugin but are some general modeling tips for 3D Max newcomers. I tried to explain workflows which might be useful when creating an age.
-Creating a banister using the spacing tool
-Creating a path on a terrain
-Creating 3D models from simple shapes

the tutorial are great and i wish you had done these before i went through a lot of stuff.

seam you know a lot about max one thing with something like a tree or a flower when you apply the material of a leaf or flower to an object how do you make some parts of it transparent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:38 am 

Transparency settings and effects are located under the material editor (click "Render" then select "Material Editor"). Play around with the various settings to get the effect you want (and there are a LOT of cool settings!) To add a bitmap to the material editor, simply drag it from file manager.

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 pm 

MercAngel wrote:

seam you know a lot about max one thing with something like a tree or a flower when you apply the material of a leaf or flower to an object how do you make some parts of it transparent

If you are creating something like the leaves on a tree, etc, you'll want to have a texture that already has the transparency in it. The actual leaf, flower petal, etc will be the only visible part of the texture.

When you apply the material to your plane mesh of the plant, make sure while in the Material Editor, if you use Plasma Standard, you are in the Material and go to the Layers Parameter roll out box. Make sure you select "Alpha" under Output Blending.

Also, if you are doing a plant, chances are you'll have more than one object with textures that have transparent layers. If you have one behind the other, when you look at it in game, it will have a "X-Ray Effect" meaning you'll see right through the object behind it that also has a transparent texture. It will look like it's not even there.
To avoid this, while in the Material Editor for that object, go to the material for it and look in the Advanced Parameters roll out box. Place a check mark where it says "Z No Write". This will make that X-Ray Effect go away.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Great stuff Latharion & andylegate. 8)

Thank you. :wink:

Hope this information is making it into a FAQ somewhere. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:13 am 

BTW - the documents for Cyan's Plugin for Max have some information incorrect in them regarding Billboards and Sprites.

The documents read that using this component will have the object's (usually a plane as you would use this for things like light glares, or distant trees that the avatar can not normally get to) Z axis always face the viewer.

This is incorrect (as I just proved by testing it). You must make sure you are in Local view with your object selected, and then move it's pivot point so that the Z axis faces AWAY from the viewer. If you do not do this, the player will never see the sprite or billboard, heh. This is how we do it in Blender too.

So the document really should read: "It specifies an object's Z-axis as always facing away from the viewer and....."

Bold emphasis mine.

My Tutorials

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

@chogon&CYAN: awesome - and so many more options than I expected!

@TheMagician: super cool tutorials - thanx a lot :)

Every thing works just like it should - (after two days of desperate hammering the keyboard to configure ;))
More donations definitely on its way

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10