It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:00 pm 

Zib_Redlektab wrote:
I followed the tutorial to the letter, but when I get to the step wherein I have to select the Age and Page from the dropdown menus, nothing shows up. I put the plain text .age file in C:/PlasmaTest/dat, and the folder the config file is pointed at is C:/PlasmaTest.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? :-\

I had the same problem, and it turned out I had moved where the config file had pointed to and forgot about it^^ But it could also be a typo in the .age file perhaps? Could you post what you've put in there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jairden wrote:
As an amature "writer" interested in learning some of these things, what all does this release entail? Layman's terms, please, or as close as you can? Thank you.

This release concerns the plugin for the 3D modeling software 3ds Max. This plugin allows the modeler to give the objects that they create in the software game-related properties, such as physics, audio and placing the important link-in-points (otherwise, the game won't know where to position the player when entering the Age), among many other things. The plugin also allows the Writer to export all of this information into files that the engine (Plasma) can understand (it can't do anything with plain 3ds Max files).

Note that most or even all of these things* were already possible in Blender, another 3D modeling program, using the fan-made PyPRP plugin. However, if anything the 3ds Max plugin makes these options all a bit more easily accessible (in my opinion) and makes it easier to create Ages for people who are used to working with 3ds Max (as they don't have to go into Blender to export them).
* I don't know enough about the PyPRP plugin to be able to judge this.

Is that the information you were looking for? : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

Agenotfound wrote:
Page=jlakProto,1,1

A new page ? (or an old one perhaps)

interesting...

I'm guessing it was historical. The artist probably started with the proto-type age. Then created the "real" age in the same max file, using the page info component to separate out what would not be in the final age and just specifying not to load the proto page. And then finally putting an ignore component to remove the proto-type stuff not used or deleting them altogether from the max file. But they forgot to delete the page from the age info. That's my guess.

--Chogon

Post subject: 3ds max source plugins
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon:
I am a big fan of 3ds max, and am anxious to start writing ages with the plugin. I contacted autodesk to try to purchase a legal copy of 3ds max 7, and was told that autodesk does not sell licenses to version 7 anymore.I do not want to use a pirated copy of the software. I can get a 30 day trial version of 7 in the 3ds max bible from amazon, but that is only a temporary fix. Would you be willing to release the source code to the plugins so one of the fans can update the plugins for use in version 9 or 2010 or 3ds max? I have a legal copy of 9.
Thanks.
Metabasalt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:07 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Metabasalt1, everything Cyan has stated so far says that's on the roadmap to open source. The plugin binary is just one small step on the way for those who can use it. The rest will come as Cyan gets the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:34 am 

A quick question.. that may sound obvious...

The xxx.age file that we create to put the info below in it.
StartDateTime=0000000000
DayLength=24
MaxCapacity=10
SequencePrefix=572
ReleaseVersion=0
Page=mainroom,0

What program do I use ? Notepad ?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:36 am 

ddb174 wrote:
But it could also be a typo in the .age file perhaps? Could you post what you've put in there?

C:\yooroo\dat\foo.age:
Code:
StartDateTime=0000000000
DayLength=24
MaxCapacity=10
SequencePrefix=572
ReleaseVersion=0
Page=mainroom,0

C:\3dsmax7\plugcfg\plasmaMAX2.ini:
Code:
[Menu]
Version=10
[SceneViewer]
Directory=C:\yooroo\
Update=1
UpdateFreq=500
LoadOld=0
ReleaseExe=1
[Export]
X=76
Y=88
Dir=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

misterzen wrote:
What program do I use ? Notepad ?

Yep. Open Notepad, paste the text into it, and save as '[name].age'. If you want to edit it again, find the .age file in an explorer window and drag it into an open Notepad window.

Alternatively, you can download PlasmaShop, which includes PrpShop (if I remember correctly), which can open and edit encrypted .age files. But this is not a necessity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:27 pm 

Hmm... that looks good to me Zib. Is that a plain text file? Do you have any other files in the dat folder? (I.e. any other .age files which might be corrupt and thwarting the reading of all of them.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:42 pm 

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
It would be fantastic if Cyan also released a 3DS Max file of a sample age - or for a small age like spyroom. But I'm sure that's a low priority task at the moment. [Don't get me wrong - I'm very grateful for the release of the plugin.]

Something that would also be very interesting for us would be to have are the avatars models so that we can create animations and probably clothing - something we cannot do without the models while we can figure the major parts of the plugin without having a "sample age". But again I guess this is also very low priority....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Agenotfound wrote:

Something that would also be very interesting for us would be to have are the avatars models so that we can create animations and probably clothing - something we cannot do without the models while we can figure the major parts of the plugin without having a "sample age". But again I guess this is also very low priority....

It wouldn't even have to be the whole model i think. Just the bone structure. Well assuming that Plasma uses bone animation and not vertex animation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 am 

ddb174 wrote:
Hmm... that looks good to me Zib. Is that a plain text file? Do you have any other files in the dat folder? (I.e. any other .age files which might be corrupt and thwarting the reading of all of them.)

I made the file in notepad, so I assume it is plain text. Also in the dat folder is mat_testAge, which says:

Code:
testAge
===============================================
===============================================
No Materials Generated

this, I assume, happened when I tried to export 'testAge' (the old name of foo.age).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I just received a copy of the 3ds max bible 7 in the mail today. Although amazon's description says the cd contains a demo version of max 7, it does not. It only contains a link to autodesk's website where the trial version used to be. Now the link contains a demo of version 2010.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:53 am 

Metabasalt1 wrote:
I just received a copy of the 3ds max bible 7 in the mail today. Although amazon's description says the cd contains a demo version of max 7, it does not. It only contains a link to autodesk's website where the trial version used to be. Now the link contains a demo of version 2010.

Rofl, that doesn't surprise me. Even trying to find a legit demo download for max 7 is very difficult, ie I have not yet found a link.

So if anyone has got the Max demo, could they zip it up and upload somewhere where we could download it, just the demo?

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:44 am 

stanhin wrote:
I read the entire thread, don't understand a thing in it, but hope it's good news. :D

I'm with you stanhin, and I downloaded the plugin though I don't know what to do with it! :shock:

You imitate the best. . .
the rest you memorize . . . .

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next