It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:45 am 

karmapup wrote:
While googling the subject, like many of you I sure, I came across this link:

url deleted

I do not know if this is legit or not, but it was the first legal looking site I found for this software. I was also able to find some trial versions but I don't know what happens after 30 days. I assume registering the product with autodesk would give you the opportunity to pay for and license the product.

it's not legit and is a scam.

Last edited by KhaiJB on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Please be sure if you provide an url to a site/program that this is a legal one.
In this the provided url is not legal and I had to delete it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:06 am 

veralun wrote:
Please be sure if you provide an url to a site/program that this is a legal one.
In this the provided url is not legal and I had to delete it.

I apologize for posting an illegal url. I am still unsure of how one is to know how a site like that is legal or not. On the surface it appears to be on the up and up. When I am looking at sites like this, how can I tell if it is legal or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:34 am 
Obduction Backer

karmapup wrote:
When I am looking at sites like this, how can I tell if it is legal or not.

Ip check of this site brings you to a country which is known for providing illegal software.
And it was clear that there was something wrong with their costs for the software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:51 am 

veralun wrote:
karmapup wrote:
When I am looking at sites like this, how can I tell if it is legal or not.

Ip check of this site brings you to a country which is known for providing illegal software.
And it was clear that there was something wrong with their costs for the software.

Thank You Very Much. I am reasonably new to posting in Forums. I will do more research on websites that I am unfamiliar with before posting them here. I should have considered that before I posted it here.

I am everywhere, and nowhere at all-
I am Consciousness and Bliss.

I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

- Shankaracharya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:29 am 

darn... I'm sleep editing....! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:54 am 
Obduction Backer

aloys wrote:
D'ean wrote:
i would advise waiting for the community to create the blender plugin,

That new version MOULa compatible version of the Blender plugin won't be available before a while, and most likely not until Cyan publishes the sources..

This may be true, but only because it's tough to figure out how best to integrate Plasma with blender. While the source may help in a few obscure areas, lack of it doesn't seem to be what's currently making a plugin difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:49 am 
Basically, if you can afford it, it's not legal. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:15 pm 

zander_nyrond wrote:
Basically, if you can afford it, it's not legal. :evil:

Y'know, I know you mean in general, but this attitude really bugs me.

I paid $600 for a permanent educational license for 3DS Max 8 while I was studying 3D animation. No, it wasn't cheap, but I made a point of affording it for my own education. I do have a legal license.

(And since Cyan is not selling Uru as a commercial venture, but only asking for donations, I feel that using an educational license for this is fine. Especially since Autodesk wouldn't allow me to upgrade my permanent license. It is only usable for Max 8, which they are no longer supporting.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:28 pm 

It sounds to me that Cyan is making decisions about web sites based on assumptions about countries in which said software is being hosted. It seems a bit strange to me that they would make these decisions based on the country as a whole. While I do agree that prices like the ones listed on the site that was posted by myself and deleted by Cyan, should throw up a warning sign, I don't think that the price or the country of origin should be cause to label a site as 'illegal' based on those reasons alone. Does Cyan have personal experience with the site that I posted or is it as stated before, based on assumptions and biased opinions regarding the country of origin? I think the latter. If that is in fact the case, then why was this plug-in released at all? Why then did you not wait until you had something that was actually usable, at least for the majority??

It seems to me that Cyan has given us a plug-in that will only work on a now defunct piece of software that can only be obtained through illegal means or that will be usable for only a very small minority of the URU population. What this all boils down to is that by releasing this plug-in at this stage, Cyan is forcing the hand of many people anxious to get started on age creation with the new plug-in and WILL get the software and/or license by whatever means they feel necessary or available. This is not me making threats, I have not yet personally decided how I am going to get the software or whether I will get it at all. I am simply being realistic.

As I stated in a previous thread, I will do more research on sites before posting them here. I WILL however post them on other sites to give people the opportunity to judge the site for themselves without CYAN or some other company/entity making judgments for them.

I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

- Shankaracharya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

karmapup wrote:
What this all boils down to is that by releasing this plug-in at this stage, Cyan is forcing the hand of many people anxious to get started on age creation with the new plug-in and WILL get the software and/or license by whatever means they feel necessary or available. This is not me making threats, I have not yet personally decided how I am going to get the software or whether I will get it at all. I am simply being realistic.

As I stated in a previous thread, I will do more research on sites before posting them here. I WILL however post them on other sites to give people the opportunity to judge the site for themselves without CYAN or some other company/entity making judgments for them.

I don't think Cyan are forcing anything. As 3ds is a hideously expensive program, there cannot be many people who own a (legal) copy and have resorted to using Blender and such for thier Age building.

But isn't this the case that this plugin was released simply because it was made for the version of 3dsmax which was around when the Cavern was built? Perhaps Cyan have never updated thier own 3ds versions and everything they have has been written for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:31 pm 

karmapup wrote:
It sounds to me that Cyan is making decisions about web sites based on assumptions about countries in which said software is being hosted...Edited for Brevity

as someone who posted pointing out that was a scam site, I must speak here.

I did not profile the site by country, but from experience.

I've been involved in 3Dmodeling now for quite some time and over at Renderosity, (a large 3Dmodeling / art site), a site which I've been on since 2000, we often have ppl asking 'is this site offering photoshop/max/lightwave/poser/etc legit?' .... just like the link you posted.

the baseline is : if it's stupidly cheap (latest Max for $199? it's pirate.), not a recognised vendor for the software, (easy to check with the software makers) or it's just plain not the site of the software authors, (eg JoeBloggies 3D Emporium) then you should consider the site as unsafe.

often these sites as well as selling pirate software are also harvesting things like CC numbers etc.

I hope that explains about these sites and why ppl should avoid them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:14 pm 

Only 1 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
http://www.amazon.com/3ds-max-Bible-Kelly-Murdock/dp/0764579711/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268165326&sr=1-7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 pm 

KhaiJB wrote:
karmapup wrote:
It sounds to me that Cyan is making decisions about web sites based on assumptions about countries in which said software is being hosted...Edited for Brevity

as someone who posted pointing out that was a scam site, I must speak here.

I did not profile the site by country, but from experience.

I've been involved in 3Dmodeling now for quite some time and over at Renderosity, (a large 3Dmodeling / art site), a site which I've been on since 2000, we often have ppl asking 'is this site offering photoshop/max/lightwave/poser/etc legit?' .... just like the link you posted.

the baseline is : if it's stupidly cheap (latest Max for $199? it's pirate.), not a recognised vendor for the software, (easy to check with the software makers) or it's just plain not the site of the software authors, (eg JoeBloggies 3D Emporium) then you should consider the site as unsafe.

often these sites as well as selling pirate software are also harvesting things like CC numbers etc.

I hope that explains about these sites and why ppl should avoid them.

Perhaps I should have been more specific in my response. When I said that Cyan seems to be making decisions based on assumptions about the country of origin and the price of the product, I was really responding to Velarun's statement about the country of origin, which happens to be Russia, and the cost of the product automatically making the site illegal. Those were in fact the reasons given for removing the link to the site. Ultimately, on this subject, Cyan - Velarun should have been more specific on the reasoning. By the statement that was provided, then it sound like ANY country which has any site hosting illegal software ought to be banned from these forums, which essentially means that ALL countries should be banned from this site.

Cyan forcing people's hands in obtaining the software may have been a bit harsh. I do however believe that it was a bad decision on Cyan's part to release the plug-in at this point in time. I believe they should have waited until the source was ready or the software could have been released for the majority rather than the very small minority that already has the software or has gotten it by other means.

On a personal note, I am really not trying to criticize Cyan here. I am a huge fan and have been playing Cyan games since Original Myst was released . I honestly believe that Cyan staff, past and present are extremely talented people, I can only hope to achieve their level of talent when it comes to the game building and 3d modeling. When it comes to business and making money, not so much. And, perhaps, profit was not the main motivation for Cyan. Maybe if it had been, they would be in a better place today, at lease financially.

I am Shiva! I am Shiva!

- Shankaracharya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

karmapup wrote:
Cyan forcing people's hands in obtaining the software may have been a bit harsh. I do however believe that it was a bad decision on Cyan's part to release the plug-in at this point in time. I believe they should have waited until the source was ready or the software could have been released for the majority rather than the very small minority that already has the software or has gotten it by other means.

Cyan are forcing no ones hand. They're releasing the tools for those who have 3DSM, for those who don't the GoW will more than likely build something for Blender (well take their existing pyprp and expand it with the stuff learned from Cyan's tools).

It was a good decision to release it now as it gives people plenty of time to engineer it into something the larger community can use. It seems to me that many are jumping into the tools because Cyan released them without really understanding what it takes to build an Age.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next