It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:41 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

karmapup wrote:
Perhaps I should have been more specific in my response. When I said that Cyan seems to be making decisions based on assumptions about the country of origin and the price of the product, I was really responding to Velarun's statement about the country of origin, which happens to be Russia, and the cost of the product automatically making the site illegal. Those were in fact the reasons given for removing the link to the site.

Veralun was speaking from experience. Which, unfortunately, all the moderators on this forum have had to deal with a lot of spam for illegal and scam sites posted here. Which they all have been doing a great job removing it so the rest of us don't have to see it! And we do have to err on the side of removing too many links than letting one site through that scams someone on this forum.

Ghame wrote:
Perhaps Cyan have never updated thier own 3ds versions ...<>...

Sadly, that is the truth. And we are still using Visual Studio 2003! which is a double whammy since we can't even consider trying to make updated plugins because the latest sdk for 3ds max only runs in VS2008.

--Chogon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
karmapup wrote:
Perhaps I should have been more specific in my response. When I said that Cyan seems to be making decisions based on assumptions about the country of origin and the price of the product, I was really responding to Velarun's statement about the country of origin, which happens to be Russia, and the cost of the product automatically making the site illegal. Those were in fact the reasons given for removing the link to the site.

Veralun was speaking from experience. Which, unfortunately, all the moderators on this forum have had to deal with a lot of spam for illegal and scam sites posted here. Which they all have been doing a great job removing it so the rest of us don't have to see it! And we do have to err on the side of removing too many links than letting one site through that scams someone on this forum.

For once, I agree with an action of moderation ;). To throw in a another useful piece of information, on the GoW forum, all of Russia and several other eastern European countries are banned entirely. The amount of spam was awe inspiring, and there was only one of me to delete it :\. Fortunately, phpBB 3.0.6 introduced a better captcha, so the spammers/spam bots get through only every blue moon.

Chogon wrote:
Ghame wrote:

Sadly, that is the truth. And we are still using Visual Studio 2003! which is a double whammy since we can't even consider trying to make updated plugins because the latest sdk for 3ds max only runs in VS2008.

--Chogon

Several of your fans have Visual Studio 2008 and 3dsm 2009 ;)

I feel your pain regarding VS 2003 though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:36 am 

Chogon wrote:

Ghame wrote:

--Chogon

Which would give more emphasis on the source being released soon. I'm sure there are lot of guys around that could get it up to the modern Max 2010.
Of course, i'd like to see the source of the plugin too, that way the development of PyPrp2 for Blender can really get under way.

I prefer Blender as opposed to my first experiences of 3Ds Max some many years ago.

I didn't find a single link last night for a download or torrent for the trial version of Max 7, so if you have a link to or packaged demo that we could download, that too would be awesome.

Cheers Chogon

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:11 am 

Grogyan wrote:
Of course, i'd like to see the source of the plugin too, that way the development of PyPrp2 for Blender can really get under way.

This isn't exactly true. We already know how prps are made, libPlasma is as complete, if not more complete at writing prps than Cyan's plugin. The only thing standing in the way of developing PyPRP2 very quickly is Blender. Blender's API is not exactly as nice as Max's; everything has to be in Python and there is no nice place for the plugin to sit when it's running (unlike with Cyan's Max plugin).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:21 am 

Lontahv wrote:
Grogyan wrote:

This isn't exactly true. We already know how prps are made, libPlasma is as complete, if not more complete at writing prps than Cyan's plugin. The only thing standing in the way of developing PyPRP2 very quickly is Blender. Blender's API is not exactly as nice as Max's; everything has to be in Python and there is no nice place for the plugin to sit when it's running (unlike with Cyan's Max plugin).

That I know, but yet there maybe some tricks that Cyan does, that won't be obvious until the source is released, right?

Ive just downloaded Blender 2.5 Alpha 2, so will play with that a bit soon, however I read a long time back that all the tabs are scriptable, even allowing a new tab to be created then ported into Blender, can't remember where I read that.
Found it
http://www.blender.org/development/rele ... dated-gui/

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.

Post subject: 3ds max 7
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

I too could not find any sites to download a legal trial version of 3ds max 7.
I tried buying the 3ds max bible from amazon, and even though they said it had a legal copy of a trial version of 3ds max 7, it did not. Do not waste $30 if you are buying the book for the trial version of max 7.
I called autodesk on the communities behalf and asked if I could buy a legal copy of max 7 and they said they would not sell it to me.
But I do not think this justifies illegally torrenting or downloading a copy of max 7. I can create objects in 3ds max 9, export them as a .obj file and import them into blender. From there I texture the objects and export age files. These are tpot versions, but there is no need for moul code yet.
I too hope that cyan will release the code for the plugins. There are programmers who said they would be willing to update the source code for the plugins at GOW, and that is the path we need to go it we eventually will be able to load fan ages on moul servers. Either that or a converter needs to be devised that can convert tpot ages to moul format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:27 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
on the GoW forum, all of Russia and several other eastern European countries are banned entirely. The amount of spam was awe inspiring, and there was only one of me to delete it :\.

Doh! So that's why it's forbidden for me every time i use the links posted elsewhere. I can feel your pain regarding the spam, but the ip range ban is something of a racism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hardly racism. It was a massive problem, and that is the only real solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Rusty wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
on the GoW forum, all of Russia and several other eastern European countries are banned entirely. The amount of spam was awe inspiring, and there was only one of me to delete it :\.

Doh! So that's why it's forbidden for me every time i use the links posted elsewhere. I can feel your pain regarding the spam, but the ip range ban is something of a racism.

Oh, wow. We have a legitimate Russian Uru fan. Is your IP address static?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Banning complete countries is not the choice from Cyan. But I can see why some admins come to that decision, because dealing with spam is very timespending and a pest for your forum and/or site.

Here on the MOUL forums we do not ban an entire country, because we know there are Myst/URU friends all over the world.
We know it will open the door for everyone, and will also increase the risk that spammers can create an account and post here.
As Moderation/Admin team we take that risk and the extra work and do our best to keep these forums clean from spam as much as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:04 pm 

Actually, I think banning Russian IPs is fairly sensible. For the few cases where people are actually from Russia, the site can be opened. It's similar to why my YouTube videos are sometimes frequented by a huge number of Ethiopians. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

veralun wrote:
Banning complete countries is not the choice from Cyan. But I can see why some admins come to that decision, because dealing with spam is very timespending and a pest for your forum and/or site.

Here on the MOUL forums we do not ban an entire country, because we know there are Myst/URU friends all over the world.
We know it will open the door for everyone, and will also increase the risk that spammers can create an account and post here.
As Moderation/Admin team we take that risk and the extra work and do our best to keep these forums clean from spam as much as possible.

Dear Veralun: Considering this is regarding the Guild of Writers Forums, which, to my knowledge, you do not moderate (please dear god, I hope you don't), nor do you speak for Cyan.... I do not see how this was a relevant contribution to this thread.

Please, enlighten me, and post it in public, so we can /all/ see the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

kaelisebonrai wrote:

Dear Veralun: Considering this is regarding the Guild of Writers Forums, which, to my knowledge, you do not moderate (please dear god, I hope you don't), nor do you speak for Cyan.... I do not see how this was a relevant contribution to this thread.

Please, enlighten me, and post it in public, so we can /all/ see the answer.

No I do not moderate the GoW forums and I repeat that I can see why some admins come to such a decision.
And yes in this I can speak for Cyan, because I know what their policy about dealing with spam is.

Time to go back on topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:03 am 

I hope there will be a blender plugin soon. I used to hate blender, but now I'm growing more proficient in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:30 am 

MegalomaniacalBahro wrote:
I hope there will be a blender plugin soon. I used to hate blender, but now I'm growing more proficient in it.

Welcome to the darkside, lol

Blender is great
I love it more than any other package (personal preference)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next