It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:57 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Glitch list for OSMO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:08 am 

I think it would be good to maintain a running list of glitches in OSMO so that we can return it to MOUL-status (at the very least). I don't know as yet how much of this will be in our purview, and hence fixable, but it still seems to be a wise course of action in any case.

Aside from the random crashes I have had (which are hard to pin down—after all, even Cyan had trouble with this when funding was good), I just noticed a particular problem: In the Baron's Office, Sharper's diary (I think that's what it is) comes up as "I'm an empty book", which either suggests shenanigans on Sharper's part, or a misplaced file handle somewhere. Can anyone confirm this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:48 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

No missing file. I believe this is intentional. Sharper got fed up up with everyone sneaking in and reading his journal so he replaced it with a blank :wink: .

In MOUL, this was periodically updated with contemporary articles. With no game updates going on, the journal has lost much of its relevance now.

Tickets for bugs are still being collected at http://support.cyanworlds.com/ but they're not being actioned. Although nothing has been said officially, I'd hope that the Open Source community will be able to get some form of dump of the outstanding tickets (probably sanitised to protect beta tester identities, etc.). It won't be as good as having full access to the database, but it would give a "hit list" of known bugs, even if some of the supporting information is missing.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Last edited by Mac_Fife on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:15 pm 

Since the words are in Arial or some such script and not handwriting or typewriter font, I'm inclined to believe the file is missing/someone put in a dummy page while Cyan worked on some small farewell for Sharper or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:27 pm 

Mac_Fife wrote:
No missing file. I believe this is intentional. Sharper got fed up up with everyone sneaking in and reading his journal so he replaced it with a blank :wink: .

In MOUL, this was periodically updated with contemporary articles. With no game updates going on, the journal has lost much of its relevance now.

I hope the wink emoticon means you're joking, because this topic has been discussed...
1) The sensible consensus is that the journal has not lost its relevance.
2) As Whilyam pointed out, the style of the "I'm an empty book" text makes it obvious that it is not meant to be canonical.
3) The idea that the journal's contents were stored serverside and were therefore lost along with avatars, Reltos, neighbourhoods, etc. seems likely to be true, or at least close to the truth. In any case I expect the contents are backed up on some Cyanist's computer and can therefore be restored eventually.

Now, let's return to the original topic.

MOULagain KI# 00831617 MOUL: 04072686

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I strongly suspect this is not canon. In addition, I can state conclusively that:
There are no missing files.
This error message can apply to *any* journal.
That the real error for this is that the text is set to come from the vault, but the vault has no entry for this journal.

Tahg

Post subject: Re: Glitch list for OSMO
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

di gama wrote:
I think it would be good to maintain a running list of glitches in OSMO so that we can return it to MOUL-status (at the very least).

Just so things don't get confused, we don't have OSMO. There is no Open Source Myst Online here yet. What you're playing in MOULagain, a related but different animal.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject: Re: Glitch list for OSMO
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 am 

Deledrius wrote:
di gama wrote:
I think it would be good to maintain a running list of glitches in OSMO so that we can return it to MOUL-status (at the very least).

Just so things don't get confused, we don't have OSMO. There is no Open Source Myst Online here yet. What you're playing in MOULagain, a related but different animal.

You're correct, however my OP is still correct to state "OSMO" since I am referring not to MOULagain, but to OSMO (since the first version of the source code placed in our hands will be based on this). I am proposing a glitch list for OSMO which will be updated based on progress to OSMO. MOULagain is static, so it needs no bug list, but it is a good starting point when debugging OSMO. I'm sure the bugs will increase a hundred-fold once we get the code due to all the redacted sections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ah, I see what you're doing. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:31 am 

I also get an excess of hit noises when I hit the basket-bridges in Eder Gira.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:28 pm 

A physics engine re-balance would be nice, there's the infamous missing Minkata sparkley to deal with too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:35 am 

I haven't reached Minkata yet (my server connection, or the server itself, has been intermittent). I was wondering about the sparklies too, though. Obviously I can't call it a bug since the monthly thing makes no sense now (code-wise), but I did find it odd that all the sparklies were active, but unclickable. (By the way, was it the case before that the Kadish sparklie hung in mid-air when the pillar was down?) I think the sparklie collection area came automatically (correct?), so there would be no place to put them now anyway (although I would expect that code to be still active, if this is a snapshot release from the end of MOUL). Anyway, what is "infamous" about the Minkata sparklie?

Actually, it occurred to me that any physics bugs are irrelevant, since the whole thing will be tossed out and we'll start from scratch there anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 am 

One bug that requires fixing as soon as possible, Neighborhoods are still being referred to as "Bevins".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 am 

That's a bug? Honestly, I'd call that a feature request. And besides, what's wrong with "Bevin"? It is accurate if your consider that every "Bevin" uses the Bevin model (a.k.a. is an instance), as compared to Kirel (or others?). I suppose it does sound a little silly. Then again, we could always consider Bevin as a translation of "neighborhood". I realize it isn't, technically, but such things can enter the lexicon (for example, facial tissue -> Kleenex).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

But the neighborhoods were not instances, they were actual distinct residential areas in D'ni. Until the Gametap era, the DRC didn't even acknowledge the existence of different instances of an Age.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 am 

Ian Atrus wrote:
But the neighborhoods were not instances, they were actual distinct residential areas in D'ni.

Well, they're instances now. E.g. a GZ marker which is placed in one Bevin instance can be retrieved from any Bevin instance. And all Bevin instances have exactly the same GZ coordinates. This indicates multiple instances rather than distinct locations.

If there are neighbourhoods other than Bevin and Kirel, we can't get to them. The linking book on the left-hand side of the top shelf in Relto takes you to (an instance of) Bevin, not to some arbitrary neighbourhood.

If you want many different neighbourhoods (rather than just instances of Bevin), it's likely to require some non-trivial engine changes to maintain consistency. E.g. ensuring that markers placed in one neighbourhood don't show up in another. The GZ coordinates could be dealt with by placing the neighbourhoods "out of range" (or does that conflict with existing canon regarding the GZ?).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next