It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Which way do you think Cyan should accept fan created content and story?
Cyan should only take the best of the best. This being ages approved by fans popularity and by Cyan's personal review. 24%  24%  [ 31 ]
Cyan should take the most popular ages, content, and storylines the fans have deemed to be the best of the best. They should also check to make sure the age doesn't violate any of their canon or rules. 38%  38%  [ 50 ]
Cyan should allow the most popular fan ages, content, and storylines regardless if they break any rules. The fans speak, Cyan should listen. 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Cyan should allow the most popular fan ages, content, and storylines regardless if they break any rules. The fans speak, Cyan should listen. 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Cyan should allow almost all the fan ages, content, and story lines available. They should only leave out ones that are broken or are of truely sub par quality. 14%  14%  [ 18 ]
Cyan should allow all fan content and storylines. If you don't like something, don't visit it. 17%  17%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 131
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

What Zardoz said, always, and yes I'm returning to the topic :D

I just can't see Cyan reviewing ages to put on their shard. On fans doing the work of Cyan, not in bug testing or forum management (they do great there) -- but in determining what goes on the Cyan server/shard -- that squicks me out.

Yes, seeing what shards/servers get visited -- that would be interesting.

Extending the lore of a world is an interesting thing. For Star Wars, there are some that would claim that Bioware made much more interesting stories than Lucas ever did (yes, yes, I know, licensing agreements). There might be some work out there that isn't part of the "works for Cyan" umbrella, but just works, and it might be on a non Cyan shard. We'll see.

Now, what did I vote for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually, the representativeness of this poll and the topic of this thread are very related. “Popularity” is part of the choices offered by the poll, and so implementing those choices would require a method for measuring popularity. I can see someone suggesting that we run a poll on these forums. And I would buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz . . .

What will always be a better measure would be voting with one’s feet. Which Ages are visited the most? But again, whether an Age’s “popularity” on a non-Cyan shard is a good predictor of its popularity on Cyan’s shard is open to debate.

Look, I hate to use that tired old argument-from-authority angle, but I work for an agency that spends millions of dollars on assuring the representativeness of its survey samples, and so I have an appreciation for what it takes to make these statements. Polls are great. But make “popularity” the determinant of whether someone’s months of work shows up on Cyan’s server, and then I hope and pray we’ll see far fewer cavalier statements about “representativeness” and so forth. (And Robert, the key difference between polls in these forums and any modicum of scientific sampling is that the respondents to these polls are self-selected in so many ways, there is no hope of them being representative, at least IMHO.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Zardoz wrote:
(And Robert, the key difference between polls in these forums and any modicum of scientific sampling is that the respondents to these polls are self-selected in so many ways, there is no hope of them being representative, at least IMHO.)

Agreed. If only there were some way to randomly poll people in cavern... Maybe BAD could hang out in the GoG 'hood with his clipboard and talk only to people whose last digit of their KI number matches the current number of seconds on the D'ni clock. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

i see in a lot of post about Cyan's servers and fan ages

and looking at old post i can not find any about Cyan running anything other then a data server with there ages on it i find \nothing about them running the own shard or any thing about then running fan made ages

so if cyan does keep a game server running after fan server are up and running i do not think it will have any thing on it other then cyan's ages

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm 

That's a good point, MercAngel. Have we--well, have I--been labouring under a colossal misunderstanding here all this time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:31 am 

It is my hope that once the Ball is up and rolling Cyan will just be running a data servers and Cyan Content and the fans will be running servers with fan ages on them. It is also my hope that I will get to those fan servers by first logging into the game thru Cyans server and going to the Nexus (or where ever) to select which fan server I want to visit. That way everything is under one roof and easy to find. I fear that finding a fan server is going to be like trying to find an event now.... hunting thru forums. I'd really like it to be transparent and not that OOC.

In the near future I think Cyan will have some fan ages on their server. The method for the selection of said content should be based strictly on Cyan. It's their server.... just like you don't want Cyan telling the fans what can be on their servers. I'm sure Cyan is going to choose the most popular ages anyway.. like they are going to go, "Man everyone REALLY HATES this age.... Let's put that one in just to mess with them!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:58 am 

MercAngel wrote:

and looking at old post i can not find any about Cyan running anything other then a data server with there ages on it i find \nothing about them running the own shard or any thing about then running fan made ages

so if cyan does keep a game server running after fan server are up and running i do not think it will have any thing on it other then cyan's ages

They also explicitly set up (at least some of) the Guilds in order to make the process of Age creation, approval and mapping more "official". I do not see the point of all this, if what matters in the end is only the decision of whoever runs his own server.

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:54 am 

MercAngel wrote:

It is currently their goal to get something up on their server. All Cyan is waiting for is for one or more people with access to Max7 to finish an Age, get in contact with Cyan, and get that ball rolling.

In longer terms, it is uncertain whether Cyan will wish to continue adding fan Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:25 am 

Phew. I hadn't seen that. Okay, so all this hot air hasn't been entirely without justification. Thanks, quahog42.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:44 am 

As we just about make it over the 100 votes hump, I figured we should give this a bump. :D

Visit our new site!

SOUP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:24 pm 

What worked Before CAN WORK AGAIN! Set up a new updated UU aka MOULa shard network again,
Get the united Shards going again & a link to here, and then have each shard have a dozen of so slots open for
fan created ages at the same time Shard owners now become apart of a new Guild of Branches,
to make 20 D'ni Guilds. after there are so many ages activly running on most of the shard branches
Cyan could come in at leasure to take a look, later if Cyan liked anything they saw, the persons involved with creating said age
would be contacted by Cyan in some form, to have what they liked implemented into the 'D'mala' main canon Tree trunk
shard. ( the catch is Cyan my just want to use only a certain element or object etc. from what they see and not the
'Whole age its self.) ummm did I just open up another can of worms??? :P bad Voi

P.S. All content Should be of WORKING order ( not crash anything etc.) and not violate canon, thats it.
Branch shard owners will dicide what stays and what goes. and last the Jarry Springer approach. ' If you are offended or
don't like it, don't go there again, or leave.

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3