It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

What would you like Cyan to do about open source Uru?
I'd like Cyan to move towards releasing open source Uru as quickly as possible, so that my friends and I can get on with making online Ages. 35%  35%  [ 28 ]
I'd like Cyan to move towards releasing open source Uru, but not too fast. There are many things that need to be sorted out first, and I'd prefer them to get it right rather than rush. 39%  39%  [ 31 ]
I'd like Cyan to wait until they have the resources in place to monitor their server properly before they release open source Uru. I'd hate to see any poor quality or non-canon Ages slip through the net. 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
I'd prefer it if Cyan didn't release open source Uru at all. I'm happy to wait till they have new material to add to the game, however long it takes. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
I'm not bothered. I have the offline game and other pursuits, and now MOULagain. I'm happy. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
I don't understand why you're asking these questions. Are you with the government? Is this an ongoing investigation? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I found a subway token in my pocket, and this was odd because I have never used the subway. What should I do? 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
None of the above: I will tell you what I think in comments. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 79
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I voted for the first option, but what I really think is something between the first and the second. I’d like Cyan to move towards releasing open source Uru as quickly as possible, but with “as quickly as possible” understood in a sense that does not imply “quickly”. As quickly as possible, but no quicklier, so to speak. I have no particularly demanding expectations as to what quickness is possible and would have no problem at all with waiting a few more years. Getting it right rather than rushing is included in that.

I would however prefer them to have releasing the source code take priority over things like fixing bugs or getting fan ages onto the MOULa server. I think that would lead to faster progress for everyone in the long run – the sooner they tap into the work force of the fans, the better.

When Rand says, “a little bit from them and a little bit from us”, I accept that, even if it’s not what I expected, seeing as Cyan is struggling to do even a little bit, while the fans are frustrated at being able to do only a little bit. From the original open source announcement, the impression I got was that the motto is “nothing from Cyan, for the time being (except the bare necessities, i.e. source code and a data server), lots from the fans”. But I completely understand the reluctance to let go of their baby (I was very suprised that they were willing to do it at all), and I think starting their own server first was a good move to get the community together again.

I see no connection or exclusion between “having the resources in place to monitor their server properly” and “releasing open source Uru”, apart from the fact that the two activities are competing for the same scarce spare cycles (my preferred outcome of the competition stated above). I want them to do both. I have no preferences about whether they should let “any poor quality or non-canon Ages slip through the net” around their own server, or the other way around – that is completely up to them and I’m fine with any decision they take about it, as long as they don’t put any nets around servers run by others.

Sudre wrote:
C) Client code (which is not needed at all. Some may try and say otherwise but it's not)

Who defines what is needed? Most of the bugs that I’m itching to fix are in the client, so that’s the source part that I’m looking forward to most and will probably work on most (if I find the time to do anything at all, that is).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

There's no option for "I want Cyan to put Lehm's Guild Hall in! Like, right now! (Okay, after it's finished.) And a puzzle for the Guild Hall would be nice, too!" :D

That's what I'd pick if it was there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 am 

There wouldn't be, because it's my poll and restricted to things that can, you know, actually happen. There are other polls and such for blue-sky pipe dreams and metaphorical ponies.

I hate it when people pour cold water over other people's fond imaginings, but when we're talking about the road to official open source online Uru, it's important to keep a clear distinction between what we know (from available facts) *can* happen and what we would *like* to happen. Cyan can not add new content at this point or at any point in the foreseeable future. That may change, but right now it's a fact. They are working (in between times and whenever they can) on making open source online Uru available to us. And that's what the poll's about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 am 
Obduction Backer

I know that... Though in Lehm's thread, there's certainly some discussion going on about the possibility of fans doing modeling. :-)

(I don't generally vote in these polls anyway. I never can find an option that says exactly what I want.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2