It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Would you like to see player created worlds that are,
Poll ended at Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:06 am
Based on the old D'ni, cracked and sometimes working? 35%  35%  [ 19 ]
Based on old D'ni, well maintained and very much works? 50%  50%  [ 27 ]
Looking modern, like what we have around in an industrial area? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Out of this world, eg a space station or an ET planet? 15%  15%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 54
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm 

aloys wrote:
Nalates wrote:
Since the Art is a means of creating new real estate it would be studied and exploited. New ages would likely be treated like newly discovered lands. There would be explorers that want to preserve the culture, assimilate it into our own, assimilate into it, use it, preserve it, ...

You have a very positive view of humanity. :)
There are litterally unlimited Ages, […]
Look at what happened in Africa and then in America. […]
If D'ni was real and had been discovered […]

Thx. Generally yes. Even more so for the Myst community. We seem a more ideologically positive group. So, how we handle our exploration will likely deviate from the RL probable.

In a D’ni currency and economy discussion that point of endless wealth came up. Subjugation of weaker indigenous peoples is routine. :( But, we don’t have to add that to our RP.

Grogyan , as to becoming ‘ethically’ more advanced… my experience is that some base number of people are always at the bottom of the enlightenment ladder. Some portion of the population is learning and growing and reaching some ‘higher’, better, useful level of enlightenment. In my world-view the range is expanding faster than it is moving forward as a whole. Thus, aloys’ point remains a probability in RL. (One of the philosophers I studied with pointed out that enlightenment is more like a spinning disk than a ladder. Good is balanced by evil and growth of either is at the edges. If either gets too far ahead the whole thing gets out of balance.)

We do have a choice as to how much of our human stuff we bring into the game. I’m sure some will bring in more than I would prefer. Some will reflect our higher nature and others our …rougher… aspects. But it can all be fun. Until now it seems much of our current RL age and nature has been left out.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 pm 

Nalates wrote:
It is not going to be an issue of whether we learn to write ages or not. The Art parallels what Cyan was doing with their computers. Now that Uru is going open source, however that ends up looking, the Art is out of the bag. Others are writing ages.

Then we have just thrown away a whole chunk of "history" rich in potential story material, and created an instantaneous "elite" of people who have somehow become adept at Writing when nobody else even knew it was possible. I find that a shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 pm 

Zander_the_Heretic wrote:
Nalates wrote:
It is not going to be an issue of whether we learn to write ages or not. The Art parallels what Cyan was doing with their computers. Now that Uru is going open source, however that ends up looking, the Art is out of the bag. Others are writing ages.

Then we have just thrown away a whole chunk of "history" rich in potential story material, and created an instantaneous "elite" of people who have somehow become adept at Writing when nobody else even knew it was possible. I find that a shame.

There aren't really any guidelines on how to make an Age be sufficiently amateurish, in an in-character sense. I don't think there need to be any (though I would certainly read over and consider any such guide) as there are already significant limitations in the process of making Ages.

On the other hand, there are guidelines asking people to keep their Ages' linking rules within what the D'ni used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Cool question!

I really want all of those...I think within the Myst worlds there is so much room to create and explore.

My real curiousity is...how and where will the links to these lands be?
Will we link online from within Uru Online as it is now? Or will these lands be online, but seperate? Or will these lands be off line and seperate?

And if we link online from within Uru...will there be a special linking place to add all the ages players create? Will that create a book on our bookshelf in our Relto? Are we limited to how many links we can place on the empty stands in the museum and the library?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:35 am 

Zander_the_Heretic wrote:

Naaaww… I think the point of paralleling what Cyan did with their computers and what we will do with ours in open source opens a whole new realm of possibilities. It is only limited by our imaginations. As long as only Cyan is working on ages they are the only ones writing story. As numerious people begine creating ages they can each be writing their story of how they learned… or not. Others can be writing about how they think writers learned the art. We can turn OOC tutorial and wiki building processes into IC story… its endless what we can do.

If we don’t get open source, MOULa will likely devolve into a UU style environment. Then it will be a shame.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2