It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Story?
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:32 am 

I was curious about the story in MOULa. I've been catching up on some of the happenings in the cavern, such as the evil bahro, Yeesha's speech in K'veer, and the cave beneath Kahlo pub where Wheely Engberg was trapped, and the strange reference to Noloben...and I was wondering if any of those loose ends will ever be tied up. Cyan has hinted that they will release content, but will they continue the story? The thing that intrigued me about Myst when I first started playing was the engaging story; I hope that we will get to see more unfold if cyan has the time/ability.

Post subject: Re: Story?
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:10 am 
Obduction Backer

MegalomaniacalBahro wrote:
Cyan has hinted that they will release content

No, they haven't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
CAVCON 5: Unlike some movies, which get the DEFCON levels backwards, CAVCON 5 is the best state. It means that donations are exceeding MO:ULagain expenses, there are a couple of months of MO:ULagain expenses in reserve, and extra money can be put toward server upgrades, bug fixes, new content, incorporating fan created content, etc.

Bold emphasis is mine.

Of course that is only if we get Cavcon 5.
And if that refers to the story however is anyone's guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Dang Neereus, you beat me to it. Oh, well, here's the link to your quote: CAVCON Meter.

I believe that if Cyan ever releases new content, it will likely be as part of the story. But, of course, that's way far down the road.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:58 am 
Obduction Backer

Just because CAVCON 5 says that they may release new content (among other things) does not mean that they will (OP's original word).

If you want to take a rational approach, there are a lot more useful things that can be done more cheaply than creating new content. For example, what about that open source we were promised? We're not there yet. How about some bugfixes and more security updates? I'm very displeased with the level of security in the vault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
The OP's original phrase was "hinted that they will" which, to me, means the same as "may." I think we all agree that there are far more pressing issues for Cyan to address with Uru before creating any new content, but that's not the discussion here. The way I read the OP's question was if there's new content, will that include continuing the storyline as well? And, IMO, that's exactly what Cyan would do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:05 pm 

Well, my stance is should we reach the point where Cyan is doing well, Uru is bugfixed, server upgraded, and fan content is plugging along, and they have the time energy and manpower to start making that long list of Ages and D'ni City areas I can't see any concieveable reason why they wouldn't bring back the story in full force.But there is a long road before getting there.

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:50 pm 

I'd like to point out this post by RAWA:
RAWA wrote:
MatthewH12 wrote:
After seeing all those sketches, it kinda makes me worry how much content Cyan has thrown out, or given up on that had they had been designing for Uru.

You might want to look here to get some idea of what was in the pipeline when the first Uru Live was shut down. Long ago, I posted a translation of what the various DRC phases mean describing how far through production they were. Some like Kahlo were suspended for technical reasons, e.g., waiting for technical improvements to be become available. So the Age _looks_ great in screenshots, but none of the gameplay was actually working.

Many of the Ages were ambitious as we were getting ready to ramp up to a larger production staff shortly after launch. That, as we all know, didn't happen. So, the Ages that were very close to being finished were altered slightly to make the Path of the Shell and To D'ni expansions. Other Ages in the pipeline that could be re-purposed and finished with our then current staff were finished for Myst V.

When GameTap brought Myst Online back, it was for a much smaller budget, and we had an even smaller staff than for Myst V. New Ages had to be things we could do with what we had in a relatively short span of time.

But all those older, more ambitious Ages still sit, waiting for the day when we can finish them. Which is why we haven't given up on Uru, and why we repeatedly say that we still have stories to tell here. We haven't given up on these Ages, either. We're just waiting for the resources to do them.

Someday...

Fear is the mind-killer

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]