It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: How?!
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:14 pm 

So... how will all this work?

I'd rather not keep visiting offline player-made ages...

I'm hoping this will end up as a project in which the player-made ages will be able to be added to our Uru Live bookshelves to visit with friends... that IS what will happen eventually... right?

Spam Poison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:46 pm 

...ummmm... You have me wondering how much of the forum you have been reading...

The View Posts Since Last Visit does not always work. But, if you bookmark the page after clicking the link (whether it reports any new posts or not) and use that link when first visiting the site it works most of time. It then seems to work best if you then right-click the links on the results page and open them in a new tab.

The whole point of open source, a major topic here, is to get fan created content into the online version of the game. Our current understanding is that fans will eventually be able to run their own servers and have various versions of the game... meaning some will have different fan ages included and various fixes and additions running. The How to Submit Ages (paraphrased) thread is a discussion (using the term loosely) about how to help Cyan decide which fan made ages and changes to add to the Cyan server.

The GoW, GoMa and OpenUru.org forums are primarily targeted at the mechanics of making that happen. One sees fewer of those discussions here because of the licensing limbo we are in as we wait for Cyan to come up with an open source license. Also, because of the limbo, many fans working with server and client programming changes and additions refrain, to some extent, from discussing those efforts openly.

No one has a clue when we may see open source arrive or other game servers be licensed...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject: Re: How?!
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:05 pm 

To answer this friendlier...
HypnoPants wrote:
So... how will all this work?

No one really knows, but it will almost certainly involve fans running shards either with Cyan or on their own.

Quote:
I'd rather not keep visiting offline player-made ages...

You can visit them online, but not in MOULa. I think that's all I can say. :P

Quote:
I'm hoping this will end up as a project in which the player-made ages will be able to be added to our Uru Live bookshelves to visit with friends... that IS what will happen eventually... right?

Pretty much. I think a better idea is to have a fan-age Nexus. Purely because the Nexus is infinitely scalable. A bookshelf has to be added every time you fill it, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:44 pm 

From what I've read, my impression is this:

1) Dude makes Age.
2) Dude hosts Age on a server.
3) Dude tells people about his Age.

4) Explorer logs in to MORE-type-thing.
5) Explorer starts off on Cyan's server.
6) Explorer hears about Dude's age and switches to Dude's server to check out the Age.

7) Cyan hears about the Age.
8) Cyan, initiates some peer review process.
9) Peer review says Age is of a high enough quality for Cyan to adopt.
10) Cyan add Age to Cyan's server.

One would assume that the only reason 7-10 would be important is for canon reasons. Some servers will be better than others - other than using Cyan's content server they're freeform. So some servers will have lots and lots of ages on, some will only have a few. Some will be RP only and have ages that tell stories, some will be more open and have ages the RP crowd don't use. Server admins customise content for their own users, becoming the "GMs" if you like, acting a little like Cyan. Hopefully, this would mean that there's always something to do when you log into Uru - some server somewhere will have done something interesting. It will also hopefully mean the game constantly gets improved.

Of course, this is all speculation and comes from Cyan's MORE concept from about two years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:07 pm 

So in otherwords... this is going to be a 100-1000x better version of Second Life?

Sounds good, but I wonder how good player-made puzzles will be... or if Cyan will add puzzles to the ages that get picked as Cyan-Server material.

Currently I play Uru with my gf/pet/etc. for the puzzles, I figured them out a while ago but I adore watching her mind at work figuring out the puzzles, especially when I give her very subtle hints like in Teledahn, "That sun moves very fast doesn't it... I wonder if it even goes down?"
((or my fav, "You will never have to guess in a Myst game, if you are guessing... you've missed something."

Although I use hypnosis to make her feel more like she's 'inside' the world of Uru... most of the fun we have is all puzzle-based, when we run out of puzzles... we might not be as interested.

The way I see it right now, most of the RP content is not something newer players can understand, so if all the new ages are just RP-based without any good puzzles... I'm not sure how well it will keep/attract a new playerbase.

The whole reason I played originally was because I hate grinding in MMORPGs... so I joined Uru to escape all that, unfortunately my reason for joining Uru is actually quite rare... and it appears other than players of the Myst games, my view is really the only other reason new players might be attracted to Uru.

Spam Poison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:52 pm 

If you have been visiting off-line player ages, then you know what to expect in the way of fan made ages.

Appearance-wise some are beginner level and some are Cyan or near Cyan quality.

Story-wise... Puzzle-wise... it seems the same. It's been about a year since I loaded any fan ages.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:25 am 

Nalates wrote:
If you have been visiting off-line player ages, then you know what to expect in the way of fan made ages.

Appearance-wise some are beginner level and some are Cyan or near Cyan quality.

Story-wise... Puzzle-wise... it seems the same. It's been about a year since I loaded any fan ages.

oh? okay... because I don't want Magiquest puzzles :P
although those child-level puzzles would be good for my 7 year old sis, she loves Uru... but can't do any puzzles withou major help from me.

Spam Poison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:01 am 
Obduction Backer

of course, one might ask what "puzzles" there are in the hoods, or Ae'gura. =P

My own fan age is designed with social interaction in mind, rather than puzzles. =P

Puzzles are not all there is to Uru. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:23 am 

But URU definitely lacks in puzzles :P

Egon #2052375 Guild of Writers
Who You gonna call? Guild of Doorcallers! #5356672
Eder Tsogal/Delin Marathon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:00 pm 

kaelisebonrai wrote:
of course, one might ask what "puzzles" there are in the hoods, or Ae'gura. =P

My own fan age is designed with social interaction in mind, rather than puzzles. =P

Puzzles are not all there is to Uru. =)

true, but puzzles are the embodiment of Myst.

Spam Poison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:02 pm 

True, but this is Uru :twisted:

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

jadawin12 wrote:
True, but this is Uru :twisted:

Doh! I thought this was Sparta.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Asking which puzzles are where is missing the best of Myst.

In the best parts of Myst (all of the games), the only reason you know you've found a puzzle is that you can't get any further. Figuring out what the puzzle is, much less the solution, is part of the fun. :)

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 am 

vidroth wrote:
Asking which puzzles are where is missing the best of Myst.

In the best parts of Myst (all of the games), the only reason you know you've found a puzzle is that you can't get any further. Figuring out what the puzzle is, much less the solution, is part of the fun. :)

Riven did one better in this regard (it is one huge ginormous puzzle). I really enjoyed how everything connected.

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

HypnoPants wrote:

Currently I play Uru with my gf/pet/etc. for the puzzles,

Just curious as to what kind of pet can do the puzzles with you?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next