It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:33 pm 

Everything Whilyam said is complete rubbish, but I don't have time to explain why and I really don't care. :P :lol:

Seriously...Chogon's explanation makes things a lot clearer. So, if I understand this correctly, Cyan's server would still be essential and central to any form of OS Uru, because you'd access fan Ages through it and using its assets (avatars, KI and so on) which would still be controlled by Cyan. Of course, that was 2008, and plans may have changed in the meantime...

Last edited by Zander_the_Heretic on Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:46 pm 

jw you are a saint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:50 pm 

He misses a lot of scenery, though... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sadly, "Cyan's server" is too vague. What sort? Authorization? File / data? Game?

UU with its multiple shards only had one auth server. I look forward to more detail from Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
The story Cyan began nearly a decade ago and the world that they created resonate with me in ways nothing else ever could.

And fan stories have existed for just as long, heck I've been running Beneath since I got into the Ubiru Beta back in 03, that's a 7 year long fan story right there (which is still running for now, whether it continues to when the arc is finished remains to be seen).

Marten wrote:
Some people are bound to dislike the opinion I'm about to state... but I think the people who've left permanently to pursue fan ages are proverbially small potatoes, and unimportant in the long term. I'm pretty confident that the majority of people who've left or idled have gone on from Uru altogether, to other games and worlds and communities. Sometimes, they check back in to see if things have changed. And eventually, due to the chronic slowness with which the MORE plan has progressed, many just give up.
That upsets me a lot more than a few people who've left because their impatience leads them to try to take matters into their own hands.

Little surprised to see this coming from you Marten. Who are we to say one group of people are more important than others? As one of these people who has left to pursue fan Ages, I'd like to think my view on uru is still as important as the next guy.

There is nothing about impatience here. I've been hovering in the Myst community 12 years, I've followed Uru since the first hints were dropped, I was in Ubiru, Prologue, Prologue Rehearsal, tested Tpots, UU (unfortunately) MOUL beta, MOUL Rehearsal...so I've stuck with it for a while.. but everyone has their limits. The train wreck of MOUL combined with community mentality these days has left a very vapid taste in my mouth and just makes me want to stick to my little corner not dealing with witch hunts, zealots and drama-llamas and build stuff for those who want to explore fan content, the only new content that Uru gets these days..

To quote Whil;

Whilyam wrote:
Finally, most of Loshem's other points are wrong but I have an awesome D'ni location I want to model, I don't have the time, and I simply don't care. Note that this sentiment is rapidly spreading in the community. You can continue abusing people or you can work with them.

I echo his sentiments, I adored D'ni, I adored the lore and would fight to preserve the canon set up, but when the canon is driven into the ground by those who set it up, I'm left feeling what's the point...I had a whole bunch of D'ni related stuff in the pipeline to finish and release but at this point I just don't care to do it, I'd rather move away from it, and I know Whil and I aren't the only ones who feel this way.

12 years of following the lore...not seeing it go out with a bang but with a whimper of the lame dog that got hit by a truck..is a saddening concept.

That's my two posts for this year *wanders back to his little corner*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:06 pm 

Uru can't be compartmentalized to allow for traveling between servers *and* have those servers have control in any significant way. (Uru just isn't modular in this way, nor can it be made so without breaking the existing game.) It would just be a token to say "See, you can run your own shard!" when you're really not. Not at all.

Some people want Cyan control, complete with the domineering that entails. Some people want only Cyan content, and they can't have that on Cyan's shard if Cyan includes fan Ages. Some people want only approved fan Ages. Some people want all fan Ages. Some people want to change their skin color green. Some people don't want Cyan screwing up their shard. Some people want a shard with just them and their friends. Etc, etc. And the only way they can all have that is with the ability to join one of many shards, or to create a new one if one that works for them does not already exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:25 pm 

ddb you've thrown out a lot of big words but I have to ask what you are considering a "Significant" amount of control over a server.

Most Fans if my friends are anything to go by are all very happy in other games being able to load in game levels they want to host, and enjoy community made mods being applied to those game levels as they choose. Uru is a bit behind the times but in Uru terms most of the other games I play have fan Ages in spades, mods changing the appearance or function of just about everything (fps banana) , and admin commands somewhere in excess of the combined might of the Reseng KI, User KI, and Admin KI for godlike powers to play with should you own a server.

Edit
I realize you and others will make the argument that passing people between Cyans permanent Vault and a Fans non-permanent one was never done/impossible in UU Servers and that my examples are other games. The very broad "facts" that have been discussed ad nauseum about MOUL however point to it being possible in MOUL where it was impossible in UU which is all the Fans have hard facts about.

The Basic assumption from the Chogon quotes

Cyan Server
    Primary instances of the MOUL Ages
    The Bulk of the ingame KI mail system
    The persistent "Vault" that stores everything and associated engine/server software to make things go
    some as yet undefined method to move between servers
    Login Authentication

Fan Server
    Possibly Secondary instances of the MOUL Ages
    Fan Ages
    Transient "Vault" and associated engine/server software to make things go
    Possibly In Server KI Chat system to limit the chat Cyan has to handle in the KI down to messages that will hop the server borders.

P.S. With the KI Source open now to public viewing and the example of the Teledahn Gun/solar collector I have to say a much improved spectate mode that is friendly to the Servers is a real possibility, and the cherry on top as far must have features go for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

OK then!
Glad to see people posting, especially Tweek.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:35 pm 

Tweek wrote:

12 years of following the lore...not seeing it go out with a bang but with a whimper of the lame dog that got hit by a truck..is a saddening concept.

It is not difficult to see that a generative principal at the root of this statement has been the catalyst for everything that has led to this moment in time. The responsibility for it goes directly to the top decision maker(s) at Cyan, and It is important to note it.

The emergence of Myst was an event that was the metaphorical equivalent of catching lightning in a bottle. It was unique. It had enough energy to birth a number of subsequent, yet increasingly less creative offspring beginning with Riven.

Unfortunately, it appears that for whatever reason(s) the leadership within Cyan has developed an attachment to "The Idea of Myst", and this attachment has allowed the company to become the gaming world equivalent of the "one hit wonder" repeatedly recycling old ideas and old games for new technology. Some of this is no doubt reinforced by listening to a small, but vocal fan base that is just as blindly stuck in a similar feedback loop. This group wants to see each emergence as something new, yet refuses to perceive the reality that very little that is significantly creative has emerged from Cyan in over a decade.

When one couples that influence with the grand mistake of attempting to recycle the same foundations that propelled the single-player offspring of Myst to modest successes, and apply them to an environment that allows players to co-mingle, one sets the stage for exactly what we are seeing now.

It seems obvious to this observer that to some extent, listening to this small but vocal population has helped reinforce an inability at the very top levels of Cyan to say "NO" to their attachment to "The Idea of Myst".

A Rand Miller Interviewer wrote:
"I don't want to be part of the game that wouldn't die," Miller jokes. "But at the same time, we've grown to love this thing."

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:43 pm 

Regnad Kcin01 wrote:
Unfortunately, it appears that for whatever reason(s) the leadership within Cyan has developed an attachment to "The Idea of Myst", and this attachment has allowed the company to become the gaming world equivalent of the "one hit wonder" repeatedly recycling old ideas and old games for new technology. Some of this is no doubt reinforced by listening to a small, but vocal fan base that is just as blindly stuck in a similar feedback loop. This group wants to see each emergence as something new, yet refuses to perceive the reality that very little that is significantly creative has emerged from Cyan in over a decade.

I'm not sure about that. Uru is different from most of the stuff out there, Myst and Riven included. Actually this is where part of its problems come from.

Moreover, when an artist produces a fictional world, it may take tens of years to perfect it and explore all the possibilities it offers. I would not complain with J. K. Rowling because in six sequel books she has not produced anything significantly creative with respect to the first Harry Potter, whatever "significantly creative" means. ;-)

Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'll try to respond to Tweek's concerns over what I've said, later, but for now I will only say that I don't agree that anyone has been abused. But you know, there are some people who'll poke at an unstable rock, and when it falls on them, they blame the rock. There might be some of that going around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 pm 

Simone wrote:
Moreover, when an artist produces a fictional world, it may take tens of years to perfect it and explore all the possibilities it offers. I would not complain with J. K. Rowling because in six sequel books she has not produced anything significantly creative with respect to the first Harry Potter, whatever "significantly creative" means. ;-)

I've read all 7 books, and I think it would have been better if she had stopped after the first one, and started something completely different. A little off-topic, but then again, perhaps not ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:37 pm 

Yes, it's so sad that some of us continue to find pleasure, enjoyment, intellectual stimulation and satisfaction from something that's just so...so old, isn't it? What a pity we can't all wake up and be as dissatisfied as everyone else.

Oh, and..."principle," I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:14 am 

I don't know why doesn't Cyan create a naive for macs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Christopher910 wrote:
I don't know why doesn't Cyan create a naive for macs?

For the same reason they aren't doing a host of other things, alas.

No one is paying them to. Everything they're doing with MOULa right now, they're doing for love of the game. But a guy's still gotta eat.

If/when the open-source client is released, a native mac version will come VERY quickly.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next