It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:36 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:03 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
Note however, the Eder puzzles are the only ones like that in Uru... and even then, most people I ever do a run with, I don't often remain in contact. its just that the other puzzles have had a success rate of 0. =P

A (small) number of puzzles, that need others doesn't really mean much at all, and I think we can all note how many times people have complained about the small number that we already have. =)

I find Uru is much more conducive to a small group of friends, hanging out together. =) Which is probably why I think DIRT would've worked out better (with different multiplayer capabilities, perhaps akin to Neverwinter Nights? (if at all multiplayer)) Actually, I think multiplayer as done in NWN would've worked out far better for Uru than what we have now. =)

Something about Uru didn't work, we know that as a fact - Uru has failed not once, but twice. Its a wonderful idea, its lovely and all that jazz.. I love Uru. But, something, somewhere is wrong. And I don't think anyone can really argue against that. I don't claim to have the answer... but *something* isn't right.

But, also, keep in mind the Uru we have, right now? comes from one of the Betas of the original Uru Live... Prologue was essentially a Beta... and we've never really gotten past that. =) We've never really gotten to see what was planned for Live, the real Live. And maybe, we never will. =/

I once heard from RAWA, that there were many more hood layouts planned... but they got put on hold, when the first live was cancelled. =/ Little things like this, they make me dream of what could have been. I've spent my entire time in this community researching what could've been, what might have happened, had all gone to plan. =) What little I've found... was glorious. But it was also depressing, because it, realistically, looks like it might never happen.

So, I dream my dreams of what could've been, with the hope that they might yet come to pass, in the future.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:19 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm
Posts: 517
kaelisebonrai wrote:
Also considering once you've done the main content (doesn't take very long, etc), all you have to do is chat, and do marker missions. Both of which you'll pretty much need your KI, not to mention you /need/ your KI for gahreesen, and also for doing anything in Jalak... or doing the Great Zero stuff... or making a hood, or using the nexus... or... You get the point.

Whoops, I completely and utterly forgot about Nexus and Jalak. There, -1 brownie points for me.

I still think getting the KI itself isn't a puzzle when you have 3 big banners that tell you exactly where you can get the KI. If I tell you that to get to Walmart you need to exit this building, cross the street and then follow the single path available, will you find that confusing?

Whyliam wrote:
We need to change Uru as much or as little as we like and see what works without people like you and others spreading paranoia. Uru will never be just another MMO.

Look, how about we drop all the puzzles because they are too hard and they confuse people? Will that still be Uru? How's being careful about what to change being paranoid? I think you use these words too often to make your point. I might just make a special counter for them, just for fun!

If we change too much of Uru, it WILL be just another MMO. The KI is one example. Is it easy to get one? Yes. Is it possible to make it even easier? Yes. Why is it this way though? Because it adds realism and immersion, something other games quite lack.

You need to understand that if you don't like/agree with/see the point of something, it doesn't mean that everyone else that doesn't agree with you is stupid or not worthy of being listened to. Case in point: I like the multi-player puzzles. Uru is supposed to be this real-world Cavern filled with people, who also use linking books to go to other Ages. As somebody pointed out, real-life can't be done without help. Uru, by its nature, needs to have multi-player puzzles.

Maybe you should go have a talk with Cyan and tell them they shouldn't be taken seriously because they intended this to be fully multi-player at one point.

Whyliam wrote:
If you read any of the posts by new players, you would know that you may end up in the wrong place even though you think you're following the directions.

Whoo, what? Did I miss something when I entered the hood-instanced Gahreesen? There is a book, which takes you to one particular instance and has one big fat path to the KI dispenser that glows. What's more, the path after the dispenser is blocked off. Gee, confusing, isn't it?

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Something about Uru didn't work, we know that as a fact - Uru has failed not once, but twice. Its a wonderful idea, its lovely and all that jazz.. I love Uru. But, something, somewhere is wrong. And I don't think anyone can really argue against that. I don't claim to have the answer... but *something* isn't right.

A lot of things are not right with Uru and I agree with most of the OP. Instancing, linking to Nexus for the 100th time, etc. But not this whole "let's put options all over the UI and maybe a KI dispenser in Relto because it's really challenging to get a KI."

The biggest problems of Uru, however, are the cost to develop it and the fragmented story we got. The story, as it stands now, is like having seen the first 2 seasons of LOST, then seeing the finale, and then seeing a new series based on those seasons. +1 for full reset.

PS: Regarding the intelligence of some new players. Here's an anecdote: a buddy of mine was going through one DRC(12023120) hood and met a new to Uru (even Myst, I'd say) player. He instructed him to go to Gahreesen and get his KI. He even told this guy which book to use to link there. Guess what? This player used the ugh Nexus book instead. Now tell me what you can do to make Uru easy for people like this one.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:00 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
dragossh wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
Also considering once you've done the main content (doesn't take very long, etc), all you have to do is chat, and do marker missions. Both of which you'll pretty much need your KI, not to mention you /need/ your KI for gahreesen, and also for doing anything in Jalak... or doing the Great Zero stuff... or making a hood, or using the nexus... or... You get the point.

Whoops, I completely and utterly forgot about Nexus and Jalak. There, -1 brownie points for me.

I still think getting the KI itself isn't a puzzle when you have 3 big banners that tell you exactly where you can get the KI. If I tell you that to get to Walmart you need to exit this building, cross the street and then follow the single path available, will you find that confusing?


Probably, yes, but that's due to a difficulty with processing audio information, rather than anything else.

Note, however, it is a puzzle, just like finding the note regarding the imager in Myst is. They're both laid out to lead you from one step to the other... But its still a puzzle. And I still say making the main UI a puzzle is.. ridiculous, at /best/.

dragossh wrote:
Whyliam wrote:
We need to change Uru as much or as little as we like and see what works without people like you and others spreading paranoia. Uru will never be just another MMO.

Look, how about we drop all the puzzles because they are too hard and they confuse people? Will that still be Uru?


I'd say: yes, it will be, as my experience of Uru has always been about the people, and the environments, with the puzzles being /very/ much secondary.

dragossh wrote:
How's being careful about what to change being paranoid? I think you use these words too often to make your point. I might just make a special counter for them, just for fun!

If we change too much of Uru, it WILL be just another MMO. The KI is one example. Is it easy to get one? Yes. Is it possible to make it even easier? Yes. Why is it this way though? Because it adds realism and immersion, something other games quite lack.


Why is it more immersive to have go from your hood, to gahreesen, to get a KI? Just askin'. I think we see it as more immersive, as that is how we have been trained to see it, as this is how it has always been.

dragossh wrote:
You need to understand that if you don't like/agree with/see the point of something, it doesn't mean that everyone else that doesn't agree with you is stupid or not worthy of being listened to. Case in point: I like the multi-player puzzles. Uru is supposed to be this real-world Cavern filled with people, who also use linking books to go to other Ages. As somebody pointed out, real-life can't be done without help. Uru, by its nature, needs to have multi-player puzzles.


I question the validity of this statement. Myst was meant to be very real, too, and you never had help, there.

dragossh wrote:
Maybe you should go have a talk with Cyan and tell them they shouldn't be taken seriously because they intended this to be fully multi-player at one point.

Whyliam wrote:
If you read any of the posts by new players, you would know that you may end up in the wrong place even though you think you're following the directions.

Whoo, what? Did I miss something when I entered the hood-instanced Gahreesen? There is a book, which takes you to one particular instance and has one big fat path to the KI dispenser that glows. What's more, the path after the dispenser is blocked off. Gee, confusing, isn't it?

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Something about Uru didn't work, we know that as a fact - Uru has failed not once, but twice. Its a wonderful idea, its lovely and all that jazz.. I love Uru. But, something, somewhere is wrong. And I don't think anyone can really argue against that. I don't claim to have the answer... but *something* isn't right.

A lot of things are not right with Uru and I agree with most of the OP. Instancing, linking to Nexus for the 100th time, etc. But not this whole "let's put options all over the UI and maybe a KI dispenser in Relto because it's really challenging to get a KI."

The biggest problems of Uru, however, are the cost to develop it and the fragmented story we got. The story, as it stands now, is like having seen the first 2 seasons of LOST, then seeing the finale, and then seeing a new series based on those seasons. +1 for full reset.

PS: Regarding the intelligence of some new players. Here's an anecdote: a buddy of mine was going through one DRC(12023120) hood and met a new to Uru (even Myst, I'd say) player. He instructed him to go to Gahreesen and get his KI. He even told this guy which book to use to link there. Guess what? This player used the ugh Nexus book instead. Now tell me what you can do to make Uru easy for people like this one.


Regarding the P.S.: I'd say the first step is to stop insulting them, then to realise you may not be right. As Whil said, people often end up in the wrong place. Fancy that, they /did/ end up in the wrong place. Didn't you say that wasn't going to happen?

EDIT: Regarding the KI, its not the best design for the device. and I don't think /anyone/ suggested a KI dispenser in Relto.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 am
Posts: 282
kaelisebonrai wrote:
dragossh wrote:
I still think getting the KI itself isn't a puzzle

Note, however, it is a puzzle, just like finding the note regarding the imager in Myst is.

From wikipedia:

A puzzle is a problem or enigma that tests the ingenuity of the solver. In a basic puzzle, one is intended to piece together objects (puzzle pieces) in a logical way in order to come up with the desired shape, picture or solution.

Ingenuity refers to the process of applying ideas to solve problems or meet challenges.

If following directions given by a sign is a "puzzle", then cooking pasta is a challenge worthy of the best geniuses worldwide. The fact that some people have troubles following the 'hood signs or clicking on the right book does not make them a puzzle - it says, however, that the signs are not as effective as they should be, or that sometimes we overlook important details when giving advice (e.g. I always assume people are in 3rd-person view).

kaelisebonrai wrote:
dragossh wrote:
Look, how about we drop all the puzzles because they are too hard and they confuse people? Will that still be Uru?

I'd say: yes, it will be, as my experience of Uru has always been about the people, and the environments, with the puzzles being /very/ much secondary.

Oh come on... I don't see the point in doing sophisms, and I believe you can see that your argument is flawed... The same goes for what you wrote about Myst against multi-player puzzles.

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Why is it more immersive to have go from your hood, to gahreesen, to get a KI? Just askin'. I think we see it as more immersive, as that is how we have been trained to see it, as this is how it has always been.

There could be a KI dispenser in the 'hoods, allright, although KIs were never so common in D'ni times. Do you think this would make things much easier? I think we would still need neon signs pointing to the dispenser. =)

dragossh wrote:
The biggest problems of Uru, however, are the cost to develop it and the fragmented story we got. The story, as it stands now, is like having seen the first 2 seasons of LOST, then seeing the finale, and then seeing a new series based on those seasons.

Agreed. I believe the original plan for Uru was not flawed as the (still beautiful and marvellous) patchwork of a game we have now.

_________________
Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.


Last edited by Simone on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:51 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm
Posts: 517
You see, kaelis...

kaelisebonrai wrote:
Probably, yes, but that's due to a difficulty with processing audio information, rather than anything else. Note, however, it is a puzzle, just like finding the note regarding the imager in Myst is. They're both laid out to lead you from one step to the other... But its still a puzzle. And I still say making the main UI a puzzle is.. ridiculous, at /best/.

Puzzle:
n. Something, such as a game, toy, or problem, that requires ingenuity and often persistence in solving or assembling.

Guess we'll just have to disagree on this.

Quote:
I'd say: yes, it will be, as my experience of Uru has always been about the people, and the environments, with the puzzles being /very/ much secondary.

For me, they are what makes Uru Uru. Otherwise, it would be Second Life with prettier worlds.
The people aspect plays a big role, but not as big as the Myst-ish nature for me. Take that away, and it's a boring chatroom.

Quote:
Why is it more immersive to have go from your hood, to gahreesen, to get a KI? Just askin'. I think we see it as more immersive, as that is how we have been trained to see it, as this is how it has always been.

Maybe. Now that I think of it, putting a KI dispenser in the hoods might be quite a good solution with an IC explanation. If I ever came into a real Cavern, and needed this piece of equipment to do most stuff, I would expect it to be available somewhere public. Immersion retained (= I need to work to get things in real life, I need to work to get things in Uru too).

Quote:
I question the validity of this statement. Myst was meant to be very real, too, and you never had help, there.

Then again, Myst was a one-person trip. Uru is a Cavern filled with people.

Quote:
Regarding the P.S.: I'd say the first step is to stop insulting them, then to realise you may not be right. As Whil said, people often end up in the wrong place. Fancy that, they /did/ end up in the wrong place. Didn't you say that wasn't going to happen?

They ended up in the wrong place because they DIDN'T LISTEN TO THE INSTRUCTIONS. Is that Uru's problem in any way then?

Quote:
Regarding the KI, its not the best design for the device. and I don't think /anyone/ suggested a KI dispenser in Relto.

It isn't. It's clunky. But it has that D'ni feeling and if we redesign it, it needs to retain that.

As for the KI dispenser in Relto, I was just exaggerating and picking on the "let's make this very easy for new players" issue. Betting the Cleft or getting the KI are things that introduce new players into the Uru style of thinking. Another example is the Egg Room from Uru: Complete Chronicles. You NEED the links to solve To D'ni, but you still need to get to them first, and how to get them is not quite obvious at first.

... it's all a matter of personal views! :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:41 am 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 1:58 am
Posts: 528
Location: France
kaelisebonrai wrote:
I find Uru is much more conducive to a small group of friends, hanging out together. =) Which is probably why I think DIRT would've worked out better (with different multiplayer capabilities, perhaps akin to Neverwinter Nights? (if at all multiplayer)) Actually, I think multiplayer as done in NWN would've worked out far better for Uru than what we have now. =)

That's a topic that's been going on and off since '04 which is very interesting. Since Uru's current business model doesn't work one way to make it more attractive is to move to a subscription-free model. There are many MMOs out there doing it successfuly and the one closest to Uru is possibly Guild Wars; which could be a very fitting model.

The 'Guild Wars model' for those of you who don't it is as such: the core game is free, you don't pay a monthly fee, you only pay for the extensions and the additionnal content. (But if you don't want to get those extensions that's fine you can still play the core game as long as you want - although obviously you will miss out a lot). And unlike most MMOs you spend most your time there with only one or two dozen people at most, and in instanced areas. But aside that you still have 'hub' areas (like the City) with plenty of people.
It is easy to see how much it looks like Uru: In Uru you seldom spend time with more that 20 people except in the City. And one of the most important part of the game is definitely the additionnal content.

On top of that, there is the famous 'content pipeline'. Pushing hard to release a new Age/area every month is just very difficult if you want to do things right, even if you have very large teams of designer. Freeing Cyan from this self-imposed scheduled would certainly help a lot. Although obviously you'd still need to publish decent amount of content to keep people happy (and paying).

Uru's subscription fee is certainly a entry barier to many people, and removing it and having a game/business model built around that makes a lot of sense. It may not be the solution to everything, but of all the models out there it is certainly the one that seem to fit Uru the most.

One important point I'm leaving aside from this post is Uru's evolving story and the accompanying live events and the way it all determines the content pipeline. Regarding this Uru is an hybrid thing, half-way between a game and a TV show. But producing a TV show on a fixed schedule is infinitely easier that producing a game, especially a multiplayer one.. At least if you want to do a quality game. Cyan could put out a new 'Eder' Age each month, but is it really what we want?
Many people argue that the story, and the way it is delivered, is not the most successful part of Uru. The question then becomes, can Uru still be Uru without the live story and events? That's a big question, too big for this post, which is why I leave it aside for now. :) What I can say is that the monthly current story/pipeline model sounds like a good idea in theory, but it has yet to be proven to work.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:12 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
Simone wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
dragossh wrote:
I still think getting the KI itself isn't a puzzle

Note, however, it is a puzzle, just like finding the note regarding the imager in Myst is.

From wikipedia:

A puzzle is a problem or enigma that tests the ingenuity of the solver. In a basic puzzle, one is intended to piece together objects (puzzle pieces) in a logical way in order to come up with the desired shape, picture or solution.

Ingenuity refers to the process of applying ideas to solve problems or meet challenges.



Then I'm sure you'll agree many of the other "puzzles" are not, infact, puzzles, then. =)


Simone wrote:
If following directions given by a sign is a "puzzle", then cooking pasta is a challenge worthy of the best geniuses worldwide. The fact that some people have troubles following the 'hood signs or clicking on the right book does not make them a puzzle - it says, however, that the signs are not as effective as they should be, or that sometimes we overlook important details when giving advice (e.g. I always assume people are in 3rd-person view).

kaelisebonrai wrote:
dragossh wrote:
Look, how about we drop all the puzzles because they are too hard and they confuse people? Will that still be Uru?

I'd say: yes, it will be, as my experience of Uru has always been about the people, and the environments, with the puzzles being /very/ much secondary.

Oh come on... I don't see the point in doing sophisms, and I believe you can see that your argument is flawed... The same goes for what you wrote about Myst against multi-player puzzles.


I gave my honest opinion. Uru has never been, in my opinion, about the puzzles, but rather the story, the people, and the environment. The puzzles are merely a means to an end.

Simone wrote:
kaelisebonrai wrote:
Why is it more immersive to have go from your hood, to gahreesen, to get a KI? Just askin'. I think we see it as more immersive, as that is how we have been trained to see it, as this is how it has always been.

There could be a KI dispenser in the 'hoods, allright, although KIs were never so common in D'ni times. Do you think this would make things much easier? I think we would still need neon signs pointing to the dispenser. =)

dragossh wrote:
The biggest problems of Uru, however, are the cost to develop it and the fragmented story we got. The story, as it stands now, is like having seen the first 2 seasons of LOST, then seeing the finale, and then seeing a new series based on those seasons.

Agreed. I believe the original plan for Uru was not flawed as the (still beautiful and marvellous) patchwork of a game we have now.


Which "original plan"? Uru has deviated from its original plan, DIRT, quite a bit, over the years. Same goes for its original plan "MUDPIE", or even Choru... or even Prologue... Which original plan? There are probably other "original plan"s there, too, like Parable. =)

As for Aloys' post:

I can agree with you there, *big* lots of content, not nearly as often (and paid for as expansions), with small, repeatable updates here and there would've served Uru well.

I still say something more akin to NWN would've been nice, too. Where groups of people explored in D'ni, etc. With the possibility of setting up "persistent worlds" (MMO-type things, similar-ish to Shards, just as in NWN), for those who wanted to play with others. They once called NWN an "intimate multiplayer online game."intimate" not being an innuendo, mind you, merely just that is is bigger than your average multiplayer game, but... the group is more.. uh.. together? more close-knit, and it is driven by the groups who play together, rather than an overarching persistent single game world. You can still have your single world servers, "persistant world"s, as the NWN community called them... but they weren't the only way. And to be honest? I think this would've been a lot more of a successful route, as that sort of game doesn't have the same demands and expectations of the playerbase, as MMOs do.

MMO players hunger for content, constantly. When the content runs out, they demand more, and the trouble is? this will never end. They expect to be entertained... that's just the way things are. As we've seen, after two closures.. Its just not feasible for Uru, right now. With fan content, maybe it will be... right now? It really isn't feasible.

Also, if you think of how understaffed Cyan is, right now? Its /really/ not feasible. I really don't hold out a terrible lot of hope for new Cyan content, right now.

Uru just isn't bringing them in any money. Sure, there's those donations... but the thing is, they've already said the donations are only going into the MOULagain fund, and not really going elsewhere. Sure, they might go into the hypothetical new content.. but they won't go anywhere unrelated to MOULagain. So, really, do you all expect them to take time away from their paying clients to develop for Uru? I'd just rather they let us deal with Uru, and let us handle new content for Uru. They're real people... I'd rather see them still have a job at the end of the day, than to have them develop content for Uru. =)

Also, regarding KI designs, keeping it D'ni is a bit hard, since we've only seen two examples of D'ni interface design. =P

http://guildofartisans.org/dnistuff/lon.bigKI1.jpg <-- this is the KI I want to see again, though, or at least something more like it, than the current KI. =)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:51 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:03 pm
Posts: 96
Wow, I can't believe we're whipping out the dictionary to define "puzzle". That's hardly the point. Whoever said "if we make the Ki easy to find, we may as well remove all the puzzles" is just being silly.

There is an extremely important difference between 1. Getting the Ki (however easy/hard/confusing/straightforward it is), and 2. All of the other puzzles in the game.

If you haven't done #2, then you have a puzzle to solve, and you can take your time, or wander to another puzzle, or ask for help, etc. If you haven't done #1, you're screwed. You're not really a player yet. You can't ask for help unless you happen to be in a populated hood. You can't use the Nexus, which means you can't get to any of the global instances (i.e., Ae'gura) where people are likely to be that can help you. And while there are quite clear instructions, they may take a while to find and follow.

Now a lot of people are arguing over what they feel is important. People are saying:
* Puzzles are important
* Multiplayer is important
* Socialising is important
* Being by yourself is important
* Story is important
* Environments are important
Now obviously, Uru is about all of these things and they mean different things to different people. So there is no use coming on here to say to someone, "no you idiot, puzzles aren't important, Uru is about the story", or any other permutation of the above. First, accept that for everything in the above list, someone will find it important where maybe you don't.

Therefore, I think what really is important is that all of these aspects of Uru are available from the get go. This is the purpose of Yeesha's "alone or together" intro. When the game starts, you can get into the puzzles, the multiplayer, the socialising, the solo exploration, whatever. Unfortunately, the multiplayer and social aspects are hampered by the fact that you have to do quite a bit of work to get the Ki. Making the Ki easier to access just frees up new players to engage in multiplayer/social.

Believe me, I've invited a number of new players to the game (including Bellerophon, in fact), with the intention of meeting up with them to do puzzles, and it wasn't a good experience. If you just want to start playing with someone else (new), you have to either let them wander for about half an hour and discover the basic game UI themselves, or you have to guide them to it, which is very difficult without a communication device (we used Skype ... but that's silly).


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:42 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm
Posts: 517
Eat_My_Shortz wrote:
Believe me, I've invited a number of new players to the game (including Bellerophon, in fact), with the intention of meeting up with them to do puzzles, and it wasn't a good experience. If you just want to start playing with someone else (new), you have to either let them wander for about half an hour and discover the basic game UI themselves, or you have to guide them to it, which is very difficult without a communication device (we used Skype ... but that's silly).

Oh, yeah. You CAN chat in the game without the KI, but you need to know the commands. I'd put the chat list in the chat feature and not in the KI. Leave the KI for other functions like photo taking and invites and Great Zero coordinates.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:10 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
That still leaves us with all the horrible problems of "what do i do if i need help, and i don't have a KI, so I can't get to any of the populated areas at all?"
Because your "solution" doesn't solve anything at all. =P


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 am
Posts: 282
I still don't understand what is the proposed solution... is it to have a KI dispenser in the 'hoods?

_________________
Simone - KI#1001138
Please avoid drinking the lake water.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Sweden
I have a funny feeling that the people that likes URU the most do not log onto the forums much anymore now that those minutes can be spen't in the cavern.

(Myself I do not have a computer at hand that allows me to explore, otherwise these rare minutes that family and work let me sit down on my own would be spent logged on)

So with a working cavern to visit it is not so strange that these forums are now dominated by those who think most of URU is faulty somehow.

PS! except for kaelis who I ran past in the City a few hours ago when I looked for my daughter. But there must allways be an exception to verify the rule, you know!

PS! Right now the KI is not a problem. You are totally obsessed. But by all means. Do spend your time rewriting the interface. It will not be a solution, but go ahead.

_________________
--- I know what I like and I like what I know ---


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:17 pm
Posts: 270
It stinks when I have ideas but no time to mention them fully. However the truth of the matter is Uru does need to be a bit more player friendly. The intro needs a bit of work, fixing the blasted Instance system would solve alot of problems (So that way I could just take the new person to Gahreesen without having to try and teach them how to share a book). Finally having the Public instances Multiplayer and the Private instances Single Player would solve alot of the Multiplayer VS Single Player nonsense.

I'm not against the idea of KI dispensers in a Hood but I don't really want one in mine.

_________________
Image

Thelonius "Prof" Higginsbottom

member of the Guild of Calamitous Intent

"I invented the term the Bevin Generation do I get a spot in Mystlore?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:15 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
Ahh, of course... anyone who sees the reality of a game that has failed twice, hates Uru.

I love Uru, I love it dearly. It, like /everything/ it has flaws.

I don't log into uru because I got tired of seeing something with so much promise rot away.

I will occasionally pop in.. but.. meh.

If I didn't care for Uru, I would not have spent the last two years waiting desperately for Uru to come back.

Uru failed twice, so, clearly, something, somewhere was wrong, this is fact. A game does not fail /twice/ with no flaws. Once, maybe.. Twice? No.

I logged in, and the first thing I noticed, was how depressing the atmosphere was. There's no life in the cavern like I remember.

I checked some old avatars of mine.. hoods full of people that haven't been on in months.. one of my avatars - no one had been to its hood in 3 months... and there were lots of people still in that hood (none of which were online). How many more dead hoods are there out there? I'd say lots. Because most of my avatars were the same.these avatars for me, are mostly KI-stuff storage, but.. whole hoods full of them? and I know some of those names were new, too. If not all of them.

Something is /clearly/ wrong, somewhere.

How many accounts are there, now?

How many of those accounts have avatars?

How many of those accounts have an avatar log in?

How many avatars are in, say, the city, or the hoods, on average?

Because when I log in.. its virtually dead.

And you're trying to tell me something isn't wrong, somewhere?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:03 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 12:55 pm
Posts: 9852
Location: Luton, UK
Quote:
fixing the blasted Instance system would solve alot of problems
jadawin12, you couldn't do away with it altogether. Trying to keep track of the relative positions of multiple transient objects across a network is a huge resource-intensive task. Having instances divides up that task into managable chunks.

There's a trade-off. There were 6 global instances of Ae'gura in prologue and there were never more than 35 people in each.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 32  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: