It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Very nice indeed.. the shots show it's in-development, but that's no big surprise. It's a real testament to what people with free time and a dream can do... and I just realized my 'joke' about emulating the assorted games in Riveal was off. I envisioned the 2d games... this is a 3d thing and far more complex. This is something to keep eyes on... :D

So, does it handle any multiplayer connections yet? Any idea how it's going to link to assorted stuff like MOULa and possibly other plasma server types?

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:34 am 

Right now it only connects to the Auth server and Vault, we had some problems earlier getting the right messages to the Game server. So you're technically "offline" in an Age.

A very early version did show boxes to represent other players, and properly moved them around. There was also a basic system for KI chat, but I don't remember if it actually sent the data or not.
However, we've redesigned the architecture since then, and the current model is probably the best. (and by "we" I mean, Paladin/branan with a the rest of us bouncing around ideas :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 am 
Obduction Backer

That's great to see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:57 am 

The team obviously put a lot of passion into this. That is admirable.

For the sake of people who can only see a "hey look at this" attention getter, connected to a technical website that goes way beyond the experience of most who have entertained themselves with URU, it would be even more interesting if someone on the team would spend a few minutes talking about your thoughts as to what this might mean for current users, URU alumni, and future players.

Why is this a good thing? How does or could it change the current situation? What can an ordinary person do now (or will be able to do in the near future) that he or she couldn't do before? Without going into any privileged details, is there a current dialog with Cyan about this new creation?

...I seem to recall that It was paraphrased by a fan somewhere in these forums that RAWA once might have said that they didn't have a firm release date -- shortest would be 1 year, longest would be 3,4,8 or 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
For once, I have to agree with Reg. Most technofeebs like me will just ignore this because it's not clear what it is, what it does, or why we should want to use it. So, we'll just presume it's something meant solely for the technical community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Regnad Kcin01 wrote:

Why is this a good thing? How does or could it change the current situation? What can an ordinary person do now (or will be able to do in the near future) that he or she couldn't do before? Without going into any privileged details, is there a current dialog with Cyan about this new creation?

Good questions !

I've had a little look at the techy stuff and its gone clean over my head.I'd need to do a tremendous amount of study just to get a reasonable understanding of it.The questions I want to know is,

1.Can/will the game be improved
2.Expansion of the game as in new worlds/ages,will this be possible on a user level.
3.This expansion of the game ( if its possible ) would have to be controlled,otherwise you'll end up going round in circles wondering what to do.
4.Quality ! who'd decide what game elements hold true to the original game and who'd decide what was acceptable and whats tripe ?
5.Cost,Setting up a server isn't cheap and one would have to have a version of the game that works.

Cyan,need to clarify whats going on and inform us of what we can/cannot do and give some kind of guide lines which everyone can follow pertaining to an open source ( go it alone ) server.Maybe that way we wont end up having 20/30 different servers running altered games that aren't compatible with each other.

If this project is to create new content within the Uru game but on a different server then fine.My only concern would be quality.Think Cyan would be more concerned about this than actual Patents that might be infringed apon.

Heres another question that just entered my noodle sized/like brain,why do we have to go open source anyway ?

If Cyan has finished with Uru on a commercial basis,then why not allow users to create their own content,review it,edit it and then implement it.Is it cost ? Seems to my theres a few clever/creative people on here,why not let them have their day ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:23 pm 

Wow! Why doesn't everyone get out the torches and pitchforks and just storm the castle to kill this new evil monster?

What I want to know is whether or not it will allow me to make a fruit smoothie or bake an upside-down pineapple cake? Will it let access my Hall of Monuments in Guild Wars or let me download the new episode of my favorite show that won't be broadcast till next week?

Now those were good questions :roll: . Maybe if we ask enough inane questions, Branan will get so discouraged he will cease this evil project and we can all go back to... whatever it is we do.

For those that even care, if this program was 100% functional and compatible, you would see absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in MOULa. It is the game engine and only controls what you see happen on the screen. It has nothing to do with Age Writing. Think of it as using Firefox instead Internet Explorer to surf the internet. A web browser does not have content, it only renders a website's content for you to see it.

Then again, maybe it could get rid of that ridiculous dance animation or make the KI somewhat easier to use...

Last edited by johnsojc on Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

johnsojc wrote:

Branan will get so discouraged he will cease this evil project and we can all go back to... whatever it is we do.

For those that even care, if this program was 100% functional, you would see absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in MOULa. It is the game engine and only controls what you see happen on the screen. It has nothing to do with Age Writing. Think of it as using Firefox instead Internet Explorer to surf the internet.

Firefox ! I stopped using that,didn't think it was that good.Using Opera at the mo.Anyway I didn't think my questions were inane but if they were its only because I'm still unaware of what Branan is up to ( fairly sure its not evil ) and I have no intention of proding him with a pitchfork. or tarring him in feathers.If truth be told I'm more annoy'd with Cyan's lack of "action " if thats the correct word to use.

Anyway,if Branan or someone would care to clarify the situation then good.

I did notice that one of the moderators got a bit jumpy at a question that was asked and that confused me.Has a forum rule been broken then ? Just realised that was on another thread dealing with mercurial or python.forget which.

Last edited by rolliko on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:54 pm 

OHB wrote:
it's a drop-in replacement for the client we currently use. Except this one works harder, better, faster, stronger.

And on platforms other than Windows, without requiring WINE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:01 pm 

This program is for a game client and just replaces uruexplorer.exe which controls logging into the game and what you see on the screen. It is what controls your avatar movements and how it reacts to bumping into things. I think that also includes the way the KI works and your game settings and chat. It should allow the inclusion of Unicode characters for multi-language support.

Cyan has promised to release the client source sometime in the future but this is a project to build one from scratch. My somewhat acerbic post was my frustration at people asking (mostly) innocent questions that are bound to start rumors that lead to misunderstandings that generate troll food ... yadda, yadda, etc, and so forth. Too many people simply walk away when their projects are criticised or misunderstood. I don't want that to happen again.

Oh, yeah, that... wouldn't native OSX support be nice for all those non-techie Mac owners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:36 pm 

Yeah, a more dumbed-down overview of the client would do wonders. From my knowledge of the project (not much), it's a fan-created client. So it would essentially replace the uruexplorer.exe client we have. I believe the goal is to develop this client so it renders uru ages exactly like Cyan's client does. From there, I would imagine development would go towards simplifying the code (Cyan's is apparently very cluttered).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
johnsojc wrote:
Wow! Why doesn't everyone get out the torches and pitchforks and just storm the castle to kill this new evil monster?
Maybe if we ask enough inane questions, Branan will get so discouraged he will cease this evil project and we can all go back to... whatever it is we do.

Geez, johnsojc, thanks for encouraging people like me to participate. It's attitudes like that that make us afraid to ask questions and it's a lack of understanding these new things that creates the fear in people and starts the rumors you claim will arise from asking questions.

If your attitude was prevalent in this community, we'd do away with the Spoilers, Hints & Tips section and tell the newcomers that if they can't figure out Uru for themselves, then they have no business being here. That's how people like you make me feel about the Open Source section - like I have no business being here. Message received, loud and clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:02 pm 

As usual, Tai, you missed the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:23 pm 

There are a few posts which I would classify as provocative...

God I hope this doesn't turn into another flamewar. :\

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:25 pm 

ThedStranger wrote:
There are a few posts which I would classify as provocative...

God I hope this doesn't turn into another flamewar. :\

*flames Stranger* :lol:

Last edited by Whilyam on Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next