It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: What do YOU want to see?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Now that Uru is ope, i want to here suggestions of what you want for uru. I don't mean this as a forum to pester the techies working on this but rather as a well of ideas and suggestions.
My first requests?
A clothes designer program
An imager in relto that looks like the one on...er, in Myst Island.
Ok, a few far-fetched ones:
Video support for imagers
MP3 player cannen
A multiplayer cleft! (With MP3 zandi radio)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 am 

A recompiled plugin for later 3ds max modeling programs, or a smoother, and more legal, way to use blender to make ages. Actually, any artist-orentated plugin for anything would be good.

Now that the source for the plugin has been released, the GoUnmentionables(?not sure if they still are unmentionable, I'm out of the loop.) should be able to put something better together. The sooner we get tools more people can use(such as non-coder/blenderheads), the sooner many of us can get started making new ages/stories. Places that might further the interest in Uru Online, and get more then just the Uru/myst faithful playing(and thus occasionally creating) regularly. :)

On a less time intensive note, some improvements to the KI interface, particularly the methods used to send/recieve pictures/notes/messages would be very welcome, and help Uru feel a lot less clunky. In particular, how about a "send to" button that pulls up a list of players to send the message to, instead of having to use the arrow/scrolling/unholywhateveryoucallit that Uru currently uses.

How about fixing the sparkly? :p

Seriously though, it's probably going to take a while for all the codeheads to digest all the source that's been handed out. Too many awesome stuff all launching at once. :D

Alas, I'm very busy right now, or I'd be pouring some spare time into studying all this stuff myself. I'll just have to stand back till tools exist to make age design a bit more of a casual, artwork in the evening, ordeal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 am 
Obduction Backer

A friend of mine hates the controls... hint hint :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:00 am 
Obduction Backer

darkgriffin wrote:

How about fixing the sparkly? :p

Yeahthat </aol>

Seriously though, I'd love to see some people put some time into cleaning up what we've got, especially if it helps with learning the ropes.

And *then* bring back the Real girls dance. ;)

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:23 am 

We have numerous threads with loads of things people want to see change in Uru Live. I suggest looking through the plans that have been submitted on OpenUru.org and archived in the Wiki.

Some of the big changes like where to start the game are considered important and high priority by some. As is instancing. But, until the content license is released, such changes are unlikely to be displayed.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, the Ki needs an overhaul. implementing scrollbars would do wonders. allowing to select multiple items on the Ki would be fantastic. the Ki needs to be much more user friendly.

controlling explorer access to personal areas needs improvement as well. in fact, there should be buddy *requests* before explorers can put somebody on their buddies list that person must accept first (or better yet provide this as an option) allowing hood owners/neighbors to ban and kick explorers and even neighbors or set up permissions as to what members have the option to exercise such commands or under what conditions. and allowing personal age owners the same. setting up controlls to provide or limit access to portions of ages or hood instanced areas (such as the er'canna pellet machine) and allowing hood members to share hood instanced areas with non hood members. tweaking aspects of the instancing mechanics would be nice as well. for instance, giving the choice to link to public instanced areas of ae'gura when using a hood link.

filling the other relto shelf with in game journals as they are found, and updating them as new portions are read would be nice too. oh, and index tab the relto book!! so that particular pages can be flipped directly to.

and implementing content that never quite made it. i'm looking at the usual suspects: gahreesen wall, minkata sparklie, the other two types of marker games, etc.

and that's just the list of praticalities i can think of. i think these suggestions would benefit the masses. as for my own personal cosmetic idears, well, perhaps i leave that till later. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 am 

Things I'd like to see:
  • More dense area models, perhaps with tesselation when supported (Draw distance scaling might help some with this)
  • Bumpmapping/normal mapping
  • Overhauled Ki interface - using Higher resolutions where possible (SVG or vector-based graphics?)
  • More configurability for avatars
  • Dynamic lighting and shadows (A "flashlight", for example)
  • High Dynamic Range textures and modelling
  • More ages (of course!)
  • Hardening of the Vault, so client scripts can work a lot better without trashing the server
  • I would say higher-resolution textures, but Uru already has pretty awesome textures, so the main issue is model density
  • Client-side plugin architecture
  • An IK system for avatars, to make animations better, easier to make, and different size avatars work better.
That'll do to start with. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:47 am 
Obduction Backer

Anaerin wrote:
More configurability for avatars

agreed. more hair options. legwear, footwear, and headwear. facial hair options for guys. perhaps even a way to scale avatar height (would have to scale clothing to fit tho :? ) i know the ladies have mentioned gender specific clothing (though skirts and stilleto's hardly seem like suitable spelunking attire :P ) and for goodness sakes lemme wear the windbreaker! sheesh. :roll:

oh, and would using our arms like nature intended be too much to ask for? :roll:

another thing i've often perferred. instead of jumping up fallen walls/debris and the like, perhaps impliment a context sensitive control to trigger the avatar to climb ledges and such more naturally. such as crawling over or lifting themselves up. i always thought playing hopscoch up a percarious ledge or rock wall to be unrealistic. (the glitch jumpers might kill me for that suggestion tho :oops: )

perhaps even trigger avvies to stop forward motion when they encounter a solid object (wall, another avvie) this can even allow avvies to be tangible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:28 pm 

Here are my suggestions

Little:

1)Bugs: Bug fixes. Got a lot of them.
2)Memory: Have more memory on the KI. 15 pictures just isn't enough.
3)Journal:Like the one in CC.

Harder (again, not like I would know):

1)New KI layout: Like this or this These both are pretty good examples of what I was thinking.
2)Rating system: This would be kinda easy, when the fan created ages are being placed in the game someone could make a website or something so people can vote/rate or comment on an age. This way all the ages are together and you can know immediately if that age is a good one or just a test level with no purpose.

Hard!

1)Hight: I think the ability to "Shrink" avatars would be funny. For the young people in the carven.
2)New Ages: Duh! But it would be nice to have some sort of ratings of the fan created ages (like above). That way you know which ones are GOOD and you know which ones are just random test levels.
3)New Pages: New Relto pages, like this or these.

Those are my two cents worth of Ideas. I'm sure I can think of some more.

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes! Squirtdude!! Ki memory!! Yeah, another *much* needed Ki improvement. I've heard people say it's the first thing they're gonna ammend when OS rolls around. the ki needs a *lot* more room for images, marker games, etc. to last the life of the avvie and not two weeks w/o having to resort to the clunky work around tricks. to me this would be considered priority number one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
What do I want to see? It's probably a pie-in-the-sky wish that's low on others' priority lists right now, but I want to see the story continue - maybe even include some IC explanation for these exciting times, but especially down the road when we reach this point:

Rand wrote:
The path forward from here seems fairly obvious and very exciting - with amazing parallels to the D'ni universe itself. As new writers arise with new books, the books are tested and documented - and books that are approved by some new kind of maintainers guild will (hopefully) find their way to the MOULA server where the public can enjoy new worlds once again.

Please, please don't add new content without IC explanation. We've waited so long to see player-created content added to the official server, it deserves some kind of recognition. I can imagine Dr. Watson presenting the first age book written by an Explorer which is approved for use by all explorers and proclaiming that we are one step closer to finding an answer to the Bahro war... or, something to that effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
What do I want to see? It's probably a pie-in-the-sky wish that's low on others' priority lists right now, but I want to see the story continue - maybe even include some IC explanation for these exciting times, but especially down the road when we reach this point:

Rand wrote:
The path forward from here seems fairly obvious and very exciting - with amazing parallels to the D'ni universe itself. As new writers arise with new books, the books are tested and documented - and books that are approved by some new kind of maintainers guild will (hopefully) find their way to the MOULA server where the public can enjoy new worlds once again.

Please, please don't add new content without IC explanation. We've waited so long to see player-created content added to the official server, it deserves some kind of recognition. I can imagine Dr. Watson presenting the first age book written by an Explorer which is approved for use by all explorers and proclaiming that we are one step closer to finding an answer to the Bahro war... or, something to that effect.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:33 am 

How Bout an easy to understand explanation of the various choices involved in Open Source and instructions for those of us who are artistic but at the same time technically challenged

Of course longer hair in a Braid would be nice. with all that running around in the cavern it tens to get tangled

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Last edited by Karkadann on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:37 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:

Rand wrote:

I agree with Tai'lahr. I'd like to see things released by the fans come together to help the deep story and history that Uru is known for.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:53 am 

Well, The first thing I'd love to see, even if just as a "developer tool" is the ability to create an "offline server."

Basically, it's the base URU client, running locally, that allows for the testing of objects and tweaks in the Alpha stage (I.E. to see if a tweak improves or breaks the game), without running the risk of crashing an online server for multiple users.

Like some, I would love to see a more modular approach to the KI interface (Custom fonts and themes, anyone?), as well as support for an MP3 canten, like so many others have requested.

I think part of the reason why the MP3 canten was dropped from the MOULa, was because the average MP3 is about 1-3 megabytes, for about three to four minutes (approx. 1 MB for one minute). The average High-speed internet connection during Uru's close on Gametap was between 512 kilobytes and 1 Megabit.

Now, a Megabit does NOT equal a MegaBYTE, but I'm sure that's common knowledge. A bit is one-eighth of a byte.
So, using the aforementioned numbers, the average speed of a "high speed" connection, in standard Byte notation, is between 64 kilobytes and 128 kilobytes per second.

Not impressive, huh? That means that it takes eight seconds to load one minute for an MP3. But, since most systems don't play the MP3 until it's FULLY downloaded, your sound could lag out by up to half a minute over your friend's.

I think the solution would be to implement a steaming platform into Uru, which would allow people to stream such music easily and without lag.

Of course, We'll have to wait until we can see how exactly the client handles changes in an Age, such as if a server has a different texture pack than the one on the client.

But, that gives me a suggestion to implement, either in the canten, Imager, or KI: I'd love to see if someone could, later down the road, integrate a media player into the device.

I mean, how hard could it be to make a plugin that allows a media player like VLC to function on a KI? (VLKI, anyone?)

But, perhaps that should be included in my suggestion to make the KI itself more modular.

I mean, think of how much potential the KI could have. If you were to find ways to integrate other programs inside it, such as an e-mail client or even a web browser (I've seen a few games take this approach.), all of which you could access without having to alt+tab or close URU.

But, meh, I'm just a dreamer. :P I should probably learn to code, if only to understand how difficult it would be to implement these ideas.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next