It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:32 am 

I'd really like to model my own avvie in 3Dmax, including historical costume. The most important part of that being able to wear a skirt instead of one of the terrible trousers included in URU.

I'd also love to form teams of agebuilders, so that the time needed to actually build something would be acceptable next to having an actual life offline ;).

/me is praying for time to enjoy these new developments.

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:26 pm 

Narameh wrote:
I'd really like to model my own avvie in 3Dmax, including historical costume. The most important part of that being able to wear a skirt instead of one of the terrible trousers included in URU.

I'd also love to form teams of agebuilders, so that the time needed to actually build something would be acceptable next to having an actual life offline ;).

/me is praying for time to enjoy these new developments.

There are a few people who are interested in a age creation team over at the GuildofWriters.com, however we might need a coordinator to get and keep the ball rolling

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:43 pm 

Another thing I'd like to see is if it's possible to compile the client for a Linux environment.

As I understand, The client depends on DirectX 9, which, as we all know, does not exist for Linux, due to DirectX being Microsoft proprietary software.

What I wonder is if it's possible to change the graphical side to OpenGL, and how difficult it would be.

I understand PaladonOfChaos was working on a PlasmaClient, so I guess he'd know how plausible it might be?

I mean, I'd love to see a native Uru client for Linux, so I don't have to constantly use WINE (I use the beta version, so my compatibility can be... spotty at times), which, being a compatibility layer (Wine Is Not an Emulator, after all), can cause some slowdown on older computers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:28 pm 

Well, for a start, Branan, who made a post over at OpenUru, has said that moving CWC to OpenGL is on his list of things to do with the code. So I have no doubt that there'll be Mac and Linux versions arriving relatively quickly. ;)

I want to see better development tools for content. That is all, for the time being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:45 pm 

I wonder what's really possible now. So Uru is finally open source? in it's full meaning? I've been away for quite a while but with the possibilities in open source I'm interested again.

Anyway, here are a few things I wanna see:

Overhauled KI, to make it more simple. Truth is, I think that the KI should be used more for using Nexus and such (as a key), and less as a do-anything communication device, because the KI as it is used now just seems a bit out of place in the D'ni culture. But that's just me.

Better graphics...better avatar movements...better lighting and textures.

City areas should look more like...cities. Playing Assassin's Creed Brotherhood now, and Rome as portrayed there is how a city should look- many buildings, streets, small details. Ae'gura barely resembles this. Obviously D'ni feeling should be kept, but still look like a city.

Oh and make TPOTS a bit more like TPOTS from Complete Chronicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aside from the KI changes and the Minkata Sparklie fix I'd like to see animals in various ages similar to Ahnonay. Also it would be cool to see some new D'ni style ages like Ahra Phats. (I'd like to see Ahra Phats ported to the CWE btw) Not ages like Sonavio; while Sonavio was great (and arguably the best fan made age to date) it lacked the feel of Myst and the series in general.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

D'ni appears "city like" enough to me in its own way. my only lament is the lack of interrior spaces. the kahlo pub facinates me because of its "homey" feel. interrior spaces were where the d'ni lived, slept, ate. they protray more of d'ni life. i'd love to see more of the interrior of both Tokotah buildings. and, more of the interrior of K'veer such as areas described in Book of Atrus. Gehn's office, Atrus's bedroom, etc.

While general consensous is the Ki is in need of a serrious overhaul, it serves it's purpose well as a communications device. the Ki is an invisible interface. after all, in context, we're not really playing a game with icon's and menu's.

The PoTS areas were scrapped for online uru to make better use of the multiplayer aspects, but it would still be nice to get to the tree in watcher's pub and the areas behind the door upstairs and have something done with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:04 pm 

What I would like to see?
The reason I started to play URU was to explore the D;ni universe and especially the cavern they build. So I would like to see the cavern as mapped in the book of T'iana.
I would like to see the DRC coming back in the cavern and start the restoration of the cavern again. I would like Yeesha and Zandi take a part in the story as she did and I would like to see the rebel Douglas Sharper in his first roll
I want to see Noloben, where Mary discovered a living D'ni.
I would like to see the concerthall opened and I would like to see the D;ni speed boat in action.
I would like the wall fixed to see the path of the maintainers and know the purpose of their lamps.
I would like to explore the inland of Teledahn and would like the feeding of shroomie functioning.
I woul like a functioning lightning the lake.

Wow a long list, but as Tailahr allready mentioned, URU is story also for me.

So for the moment I am not that interested in new ages, but mainly interested in the return of story. Technically only fixing bugs and better interface is for me priority number one.

I hope open URU will also lead to a story board. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

A reworking of the voicechat system, into something cleanly usable.. but the major one, the WHOLE chat interface. I'm talking the stuff I've been saying ever since the UU days.. chat channels (user defined naturally), no forced-selection, quick ways to swap between. Tabs and chat filtering according to user customization, and MOVABLE tabs, so we can personalize the interface. Those of us with widescreen have extra screenspace, let us play with it by shoving those KI tabs to the side! (yes the bulk of the game doesn't seem to get that it's widescreen, that also needs to change)

Oh, and maybe some sort of better canen. Sure it takes a long while to transfer files, but something akin to a peercast with distributed mp3 playing for those who want to run parties, or better yet moving to a better format (the game already uses ogg vorbis although the engine extracts them to wav to stream, why not run oggs natively? The low-end computers we have nowadays make the high-end stuff back when they were making the game look a bit pathetic really)

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

I agree with being able to set up custom groups of explorers to chat with simultaneously, instead of the neighbors/buddies lists where you don't necessarily want to PM everyone (or have to see others PMs)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:24 am 

Looking through the notes for CWC, I noticed that due to licensing restrictions Bink is not included. I know Bink is used for in-game video, but I also am aware that Plasma has a "Texture from bink movie" function, which supports transparency and more. [spoiler]It's used for the flying, wing-flapping fairy, and the final firefight in MQO[/spoiler]. Would it be possible to replace the bink references with ones to libavcodec. Then bink playing is back in place, along with other codecs like x264. This would also mean being able to extend and enhance newer ages with greater functionality (Video on the imagers, perhaps?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:57 am 

libavcodec integration is one of many upgrades that are being looked at

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:21 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Anaerin wrote:
Looking through the notes for CWC, I noticed that due to licensing restrictions Bink is not included. I know Bink is used for in-game video, but I also am aware that Plasma has a "Texture from bink movie" function, which supports transparency and more.

That's right. But since MOULa content doesn't currently use Bink movies as textures - Bink is only used for the intro movies prior to the game launching - in the interests of quickly getting a version of the open source client to build, Bink was simply bypassed. As you suggest and PaladinOfKaos confirms, libavcodec is a good candidate to substitute. There were other libraries where it was more urgent to get a replacement in order to get a "working" client.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

As long as at some point we can use videos as textures and finally add proper animated linking panels that's fine.
(wait, wouldn't that require us to modify the existing Cyan PRPs for which we don't have a license? argh! :x )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:48 pm 

aloys wrote:
As long as at some point we can use videos as textures and finally add proper animated linking panels that's fine.
(wait, wouldn't that require us to modify the existing Cyan PRPs for which we don't have a license? argh! :x )

I'm sure there is (or could be made to have) a way to override content. And with videos for textures and animated linking panels, the next step is (of course) the server running a stub client(s) at the link-in spots that generates real-time video of the area in question, that is then streamed to the clients for display, so when you look at a linking panel, you really see what's going on on the other side. Of course, that will add significant server load and bandwidth, but c'mon, wouldn't it just be awesomely cool to have?! :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next