It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:59 am 

Alien, I think you have missed a few things. Popular… that is a very relative term and I suspect several of us would correct you to say popular only with a few. Uru Live has never appealed to the mass market. I think we peaked around 50 or 80k players in GameTap. Today a popular game like Minecraft has a million players.

Many think not appealing to the masses is a good thing. But, others think some parts of the game need to change to provide features current MMOGamers feel are basic to such a game and to improve player retention. Others feel the navigation system should change, the starting point… I could go on. Everyone has their idea of what the future Uru should be, just read the forums.

You also have the idea that Uru Live was always one shard and everyone was together in the same server. That only happened in the GameTap incarnation and MOULa. Most of the time Uru Live was played in separate shards. Until Uru ran on numerous shards. That was the norm until GT MOUL.

I agree you are correct in thinking multiple shards would divide up the community and reduce the number of concurrent players in a given shard. But, the numbers of players in game has been decreasing for some time. New content will bump the number up. While there may be fewer players in a given shard there may well be more people playing in Uru overall.

There is no doubt going to be some members-only shards. There is nothing that can be done to stop that. I suspect there are some groups that will prefer that. People are going play however they want to. I see no way to stop that. There are simply some people that do not get along with some other people.

MOSS is already out there, just as Until Uru was. Some argue that was when Uru was most popular. I disagree, but it is very debatable.

Our community agrees on very little. So the shard of Popular Pretty Purple People in Pandemonium Profusely Proliferating is not going to be popular with everyone. The Purples are not going to be happy with the Guild of Green Ghouls Gorging on Guts shard. We are never going to get complete unity. Our community has always been divided and survived… we are still here. This division into shards is nothing new.

Nor do we know how Cyan is going to allow fans to use their content. That limit is about the only control Cyan has over how Uru may appear on fan servers. It may be so restrictive few will use the content and go with fan only content. We may see spin off shards similar to the Devokan story in OSGrid and Crux Isle in Second Life. Whether or not that is the case, Cyan’s server will likely be the center around which things evolve and where top quality content appears. That will be a significant magnet.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 am 

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

These are all good points. I think it is good to keep in mind that the MOULagain servers will still be the primary ones. New players will likely find it first and use it. I also have a feeling that the guild meetings and a majority of other cavern events will still be held on them.

From what we have been told, the MOSS servers have been primarily designed for testing new content that could potentially be put on MOULagain. However, there may be a lot of people who will use the MOSS servers the MOSS servers more than MOULagain, especially in this time where MOULagain is unchanging.

It's also most likely there will be independent shards opened to basically in some ways "replace" MOULagain for some in the community who want to do their own thing. As long as the rules regarding Cyan content is followed, this is fine too and will happen whether others like it or not. I still think MOULagain will be alive and active as the main world as long as people still support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:25 pm 

Re: Trekluver
I think Adam’s Who’s on is heading that direction. I expect to see the CWE eventually change to use it or work with it. Or we may see someone make a web site that uses the tech to provide something like GameSpy’s lists of active servers in various games with player count.

Someone might craft a Facebook toy or an iPhone app to do the same sort of thing. I think the Facebook connection could pull loads of people into the game. But, I also think it is a double edged sword. For now MOULa lacks strong server side security. Within the rush of Facebook noobies there will be griefers/crackers and that combination means trouble.

Also there is the issue of player retention. Until we get the starting point and group/solo player issues handled I think the Facebook debut is premature. I also think that until we figure out the player retention issues we are simply repeating history and heading for a repeat of a game opening, players consuming content, and losing interest.

I know many think the age writers will provide an abundant and never ending supply of new ages. They could be right. I have my doubts. I agree with Alien that building for Uru is complex and only a limited group of people will be willing to learn how to build. I know building a guild hall in Blender has been a challenge. Of those learning to build ages only some percentage will be good at it and create professional level ages. I’m pretty sure I’m not in that group. Also, it appears to me Uru has never been able to survive on new content. So, going down that path again seems foolish. I hope several of the people working on CWE consider what needs to change to improve player retention.

The RSS feed… now there is a new idea. We have for sometime tried to figure out how to get story recorded and available to those that can’t be at an event. Monthly meetings in cavern have to be recorded and transcribed, the chat logs processed and posted, with an RSS feed to a blog that might be more easily accomplished. The feed could be controlled by main characters, ResEng’s, or like chat logging is controlled now.

The Until Uru era shows that the community will develop the tools needed. Much has been done during this era of MOULa. The reason we don’t see it is most of the work is hidden remaining underground and only age builds are aware of it. So, we will see a burst of new things as OpenUru.org teams move things forward.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]