It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:09 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:03 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Erik wrote:
Makes you wonder why Cyan never changed it. If it was so easy to fix, they probably wanted it to be Bevin, although they have never been able to give a proper reason why Bevin would be better.

Perhaps they were hoping to replace it with a D'ni word for neighborhood, but just didn't have the time or couldn't seem to find an appropriate word.

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:16 pm 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6235
Location: Everywhere, all at once
Rand was not directly confronted with the issue until vid cornered him during a visit to the Cavern. Rand didn't see it coming, and vid hit hard. ;) In the OpenUru.org hood, in fact.

Things might have been different had this little by-chance meeting happened with a production staff available during MOUL. But this was MOULa with no staff to really handle production. There are many such small and big changes on the potential list, including, of course, working on Open Source, and not much justification for the development and realease of a new version. Why do these if the fans were going to be able to do it "soon" anyway and there are other priorities? Let the fans have fun doing it. :)

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:30 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
JW, it appears you're suggesting that issues aren't addressed unless Rand himself is directly confronted with them. We know the MOUL production staff was aware of it because it was discussed on the forum, the ResEngs were often confronted about it by vid, the Objection event was held on the Great Stairs, AND we submitted tickets on it. So, why didn't they make the change back then? Is something different about the code now that makes the fix easier when they don't have the resources to do it? Or, did Cyan not want to make the change during MOUL, and if so, why not?

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm
Posts: 517
My guess: they were more concerned about new content than fixing the current bugs. And since MOUL needed content to make money, that's where their priority was. For MOULa, JWPlatt's reasoning sounds pretty good to me. Or they are waiting for the mythical major bugfix/content release that'd also include the Minkata sparklie.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:08 pm 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6235
Location: Everywhere, all at once
Good questions. But did Rand ever hear about it? Also a good question. And in all that time, was the great force that is vid ever given a face to face, in an IC situation, with a character who was in control of the issue and would have to respond? Mr. Laxman comes to mind because he was in charge of the Lattice, I think, right? Did anyone get the chance to speak about it directly to the DRC? That is what I was told by Greydragon would be most effective (and of course, the DRC was reknowned for being difficult to reach). In fact, until Rand acknowledged the problem after speaking with vid - in the Cavern - the movement was difficult to push through the larger community to get taken seriously, despite the support vid found in his inimitable style.

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
IMO, there could be a few reasons:
1) the fix isn't as simple as it appears and we'll soon find out if making the change affects other as-yet-unknown areas;
2) they simply didn't like the word "neighborhood" either because it was too long & awkward in code-writing or because they preferred to create a D'ni word to replace it, but couldn't find the time;
3) a combination of the above.

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:25 pm
Posts: 158
Location: Aberystwyth, Wales
Alternatively, you have the fact that in small development teams the little bugs never get squashed. They go to the bottom of the pile.

_________________
I am a member of Team OSCAR. I make content for MOULa. Help OSCAR here: http://forums.openuru.org/viewforum.php?f=103


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:51 pm 
Offline
Creative Kingdoms

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 8:06 pm
Posts: 6235
Location: Everywhere, all at once
Tai'lahr wrote:
1) the fix isn't as simple as it appears and we'll soon find out if making the change affects other as-yet-unknown areas;

That's entirely possible. I don't know the Vault well enough to be sure, but it's conceivable that if "Bevin" were a dependent value, changing it midstream could mess up some things. Simple inconsistencies can cause problems if the code is not generalized well enough. You don't always know, or don't catch, what your programmers depend on in their logic, especially when you're trying to meet an imminent deadline. If it were "Hood" from the start, it is less likely there would be a problem. But in any case, it's much more than just editing a constant in the code. You have to invest significant time to make sure all these questions are researched, validated, and changes tested before you release a new build to a paying public. Even a little word could cost you dearly. For an example of what can go wrong, remember the Mars Climate Orbiter that disintegrated in the Martian atmosphere because one team used English units and another used metric? Easy fix, both measuring systems are valid, but not enough integrated testing.

_________________
OpenUru.org: An Uru Project Resource Site : Twitter : Make a commitment.
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:09 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 10:13 pm
Posts: 3426
Location: Lost in the void
This patch would work for new neighborhoods (and fresh new vaults obviously), but not for existing neighborhoods. Once the age instance name is written to the vault you are stuck with it.

Existing neighborhoods on MOULa would have to be patched within the vault, either manually one by one :shock: or with a server script.

_________________
D'Lanor (ɹǝʇunч puǝƃǝן uɐqɹn)
Image
KI# 33949


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 4:33 pm
Posts: 316
Location: Stadskanaal (Netherlands)
Tai'lahr wrote:
IMO, there could be a few reasons:
1) the fix isn't as simple as it appears and we'll soon find out if making the change affects other as-yet-unknown areas;
2) they simply didn't like the word "neighborhood" either because it was too long & awkward in code-writing or because they preferred to create a D'ni word to replace it, but couldn't find the time;
3) a combination of the above.

Some of the answers can be found in the chatlog made by whilyam during Rands first visit to MOULa in the GoG hood march 28th 2010.
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20504&highlight=chatlog+0328
Rand confirms that Bevin is the wrong name. He suggests Hood and later as a joke Ho'od. Lack of manpower prevents the fix.
Also the ordering of the hoods in the nexus is part of the discussion.
Hope this clears som historical data reference. :D

_________________
still wondering where thr dutch myst fans went ...........


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:47 pm
Posts: 65
I wouldn't really consider this a bug, though, so I can see why it didn't get "fixed". Granted, even if Rand or others admit it was named incorrectly, it would be as if some object had a different color. It wouldn't affect gameplay or cause anything (that we know of) to crash.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 pm
Posts: 23
Location: West Yorkshire
lunanne wrote:
but..but.. what about the people who prefer "Neighbourhood", the "neighbors" in the game is already so ... ugly(imo).

Agreed, but I know we're a minority!
I prefer 'bevin' because it's not a word for anything on the surface and 'hood' makes me think of gangsters ...

_________________
KI: 03532033
If you can't see the bright side, polish the dull side
moula is Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:40 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
beebee wrote:
lunanne wrote:
but..but.. what about the people who prefer "Neighbourhood", the "neighbors" in the game is already so ... ugly(imo).

Agreed, but I know we're a minority!
I prefer 'bevin' because it's not a word for anything on the surface and 'hood' makes me think of gangsters ...


Bevin is, however, a specifc neighborhood in D'ni. A single.. specific.. neighborhood.

It isn't a word for anything other than the name of a specific place. Just like "Boston" or "New York" or "London" aren't a word for anything other than specific places.

So you don't go around saying "I live in a New York" You say "I live in a city, called <city name here>"

Saying "I am a member of a Bevin" is exactly the same as the "I live in a New York" example. =)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:02 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:14 pm
Posts: 4250
Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I really, really think we need a D'ni word that actually means neighborhood. If we just replace the word "Bevin" with "neighborhood," some people are still going to believe they're interchangeable.

_________________
Explorers Memorial * In Memoriam


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm 
Offline
Obduction Backer

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 902
Tai'lahr wrote:
I really, really think we need a D'ni word that actually means neighborhood. If we just replace the word "Bevin" with "neighborhood," some people are still going to believe they're interchangeable.


They'll be wrong though. We /really/ /really/ don't need to use a D'ni word. The Nexus was translated to english by the DRC, why would they use the /d'ni/ word for a type of place, like "neighborhood", they certainly don't use a D'ni word for "city" in "city locations" for example... Why would they use a D'ni word for "Neighborhood"?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SEMrush [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: