It is currently Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:25 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or we could simply throw in the towel and admit that, as sometimes happens, a "brand name" has become a generic term: Bevin (a specific D'ni neighborhood - indeed, my original neighborhood) has become bevin.(a generic non-D'ni term for a D'ni neighborhood).

I say we take a vote among all original Bevin inhabitants. I'll set up a poll (oooh, it feels so good to say that...) and we'll take the pulse of the Bevin community. But we will insist that we demote the term to lower case. And we get jackets, special jackets, and Douglas Sharper doesn't get one. And regular visits from Rand. And the restoration of Eddie to his rightful place as our Eddie - everyone else only gets an eddie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

My pony says, "Nayyyyyyyyborhood."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:09 pm 

Places with similar themes get similar names all the time. Little Italy is half a mile from me. How many Little Saigons and Chinatowns do you know of? Venice, California has canals, and was once also known as the Coney Island of the Pacific for it's awesome amusement parks.

By extension, it seems perfectly acceptable to me that near-identical cookie-cutter replicas of Bevin would be called bevins.

But this is all just a story, and one of the authors said they goofed on the name, so it's wrong.

But is Neighborhood really the mot juste? The DRC capped the initial population at, what, 20? 25? Which seems about right from the visible residential space. Really, it looks to me like a small, but upscale hotel turned condo. Or a family villa that's been sublet.

Why not eliminate the descriptive word (neighborhood, etc.) and simply use unique names? Like Bevin, as a handy example, or like Athens, Greeter's Center, New Los Angeles, Badgerville, or The Shire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:16 pm 

Zardoz wrote:
as sometimes happens, a "brand name" has become a generic term:

My thoughts exactly. (Think Kleenex, Coke, Champagne...) We have already changed or added to the meaning of some words (linking, for one), and from an OOC perspective,we are all linking into the same place, hence the bevin.

I'm not sure a poll would be the way to go, though. The use of bevin as a replacement for "cavern neighborhood" or whatever will either catch on or die as explorers use it or not. Language evolves of its own accord.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 am 
Obduction Backer

The day that something as historic as "Bevin" becomes accepted as a generic term will be the day that I start referring to every single explorer as "User" - After all, who needs something as silly as a name?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

:lol: Good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

vidkid7 wrote:
The day that something as historic as "Bevin" becomes accepted as a generic term will be the day that I start referring to every single explorer as "User" - After all, who needs something as silly as a name?

Bevin would not lose its status as the first neighborhood, and "bevin" would merely be an explorer-created term for any neighborhood. What I find interesting is that this evolution would have a great IC story to it - how the DRC confused the term "Bevin" for the D'ni word meaning neighborhood, and so embedded it in their resuscitation of the Nexus. Only with later investigation did Dr. Watson realize, to his horror, that it was merely a proper name. The DRC pushed out the second neighborhood, Seret, hoping people would catch on, but as is usual for them, they were clueless in the ways and speed of cultural evolution. Plus Vic completely dropped the ball in fixing the Nexus.

Come on, vid, get with the program!

Or should we use the term "vidkid7" for any explorer who's a cranky purist? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:15 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I get the strong impression that Zardoz is trying to do a "Guardians of the Lake" to the Bevin Objection. Beware! Beware! Warning Will Robinson!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
I get the strong impression that Zardoz is trying to do a "Guardians of the Lake" to the Bevin Objection. Beware! Beware! Warning Will Robinson!

Are you saying I'm pulling a zardoz? How platt of you, JWP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
JWPlatt wrote:
Beware! Beware! Warning Will Robinson!

This was a test to see if we'd notice the error, right? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:48 pm 

VICTORY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Three cheers for vid!

The Bevin objection has finally paid off. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
- "Bevin" name changed to "Hood" as provided by dragossh (the name was kept short to fit all text fields). But as D'Lanor pointed out only new neighborhoods will get the name "Hood".

Sigh. This means I will now have to eliminate all existing explorers to reclaim what is rightfully mine (along with others). So much work, so little time . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Yay! Good to see fixes incorporated already. Thanks to Chogon for the mention, even though it was quite a small patch compared to what other experienced C++ programmers are doing right now. Hopefully I'll get more experience and be able to help in more areas :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next