It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:02 pm 

Nobody's forcing anyone to read this thread. :|

There's no real need for an IC explanation, but I would simply proffer that if anyone wants to think about it in an IC fashion, the term Bevin was a long-standing glitch in the system that a savvy explorer finally found the cause for. I think that's all that's needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:37 pm 

Nye_Sigismund wrote:
There's no real need for an IC explanation, but I would simply proffer that if anyone wants to think about it in an IC fashion, the term Bevin was a long-standing glitch in the system that a savvy explorer finally found the cause for. I think that's all that's needed.

Okay, the only glitch was that you got linked to Seret in stead of Bevin. In all other cases it was not a glitch.
Personally i don't like the naming Hood because it is a generalisation. (Kirel is also a neighbourhood)

The good fix would be that you could see of which kind of neigbourhood you are a neighbour of and also which Eder is assigned to which kind of neigbourhood. For instance Tsogahl assigned to Bevin and Delin to Seret. This should be mentioned in the Nexus, so you would know where to go.

IC explanation is easy. It was generalized by the DRC in the beginning as hood. Afterwards they tried to make the seperation, but failed in only naming all hoods Bevin.

So, to my opinion failure is repeated by naming it hood again. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hood's are not instanced people.

DRC site 03.07.02 wrote:
More neighborhood areas have been discovered, many of which are in satisfactory condition. Work will begin quickly in order for them to receive general approval.

DRC site 03.11.02 wrote:
The waterfall in the primary neighborhood has been repaired.

DRC site 04.08.02 wrote:
The DRC is in the process of inventorying equipment over the next few weeks. Accurate cone and blockade counts for neighborhoods and The Island would be appreciated.

DRC site 08.15.02 wrote:
A recent decision to make more habitable neighborhoods available has pushed the restoration of neighborhoods up the list of priorities. The DRC has more than doubled the size of the restoration team devoted to the neighborhoods.

During the initial exploration of one of these neighborhoods, a small number of Books was discovered. All but two were damaged beyond any hope of repair. The two which are intact have been added to the list of Books scheduled for preliminary evaluation.

DRC site 11.21.02 wrote:
The Seret neighborhood has passed its Phase 5 inspection. It will be opened to authorized explorers soon.

Victor Laxman’s team continues to make progress on the KI’s interface regarding neighborhood management.

Due to events on the surface, we are attempting to be more proactive. We have roughly 20 more neighborhoods that can be put on the fast-track as Seret was, if necessary.

DRC site 01.16.03 wrote:
Efforts this month have been almost exclusively focused on getting more neighborhoods ready. Ten more have passed their phase five reviews.

I could go on, but I think we all get the point..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

The original error is clearly Laxman's:

DRC site 10.24.02 wrote:
* Victor Laxman has delayed his work on the sound recording ability of the KI in order to focus on various KI interactions with the Nexus and the Neighborhoods. He and his team have nearly completed the English interface for the Nexus.

So, the only question is whether the member of Laxman's team who put "Bevin" in place of "Neighborhood" was fed to the Bahros, or merely fired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:40 pm 

I actualy think IMO;

That we should all try to come up with Real D'ni names for every Hood.
Now the next question would be ok, we could have this 2 ways,

1. Try to get the 'Cannon' D'ni names of as many Hoods as possible and put them in,
then later could be like ' Disovered' or assigned like the Hoods are now.

2. Make the rule (To keep within the URU theme) The user wanting their own Hood
would have to name the Hood in D'ni. (thus making you learn some D'ni! :D )

The Idea of making up just any name is fine but it has to be 'In D'ni'.
OR have the Nexas have a toggle switch in the GUI that either display
the D'ni text OR the English text or Both for each Hood.

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

VoiZod wrote:
OR have the Nexas have a toggle switch in the GUI that either display
the D'ni text OR the English text or Both for each Hood.

Now that is a great idea!!!

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hey, what do we have here:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's fixed now for the whole game. I sent a patch to Cyan. Hopefully it'll get into the game with the next restart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:24 am 

:shock:

:D

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:42 am 
Obduction Backer

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:44 am 

very nice. I assume you just patched the python to replace "Bevin" with "Hood"?

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes, I patched the hood and nexus python files to replace Bevin with Hood when it fetches the display name. Issued a pull request on github btw :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh, it looks sooo good... There we go!... Thank you, dragossh... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:57 am 

Don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I haven't seen any where in DRC statements the use an American english ghetto-slang term as a substitute for the proper word "neighborhood". The DRC is as much a scientific organization as anything else, and using slang in a device of this nature would be out of character.

...I seem to recall that It was paraphrased by a fan somewhere in these forums that RAWA once might have said that they didn't have a firm release date -- shortest would be 1 year, longest would be 3,4,8 or 10 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cyan (and thus DRC) implemented the Hood fix a few months ago so yes, it's official. The only problem was that it only had effect for new, non-DRC hoods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 pm 

Okay... someone tell me if I'm even close to correct:

As of right now in the Nexus list, all of the neighborhood's names, old and new, have been renamed "X's Hood." That is, except for "DRC Bevin" and "DRC (1) Bevin." Not to be confused, the neighborhood formerly known DRC Bevin, with a bunch of members and pellet points, is now known as "DRC Hood." Now one explorer told me that the ones with Bevin in the name are the automatically-generated DRC neighborhoods for new explorers, and the numbered lists, which was up in the high 2000s last I checked, have now been restarted. I spent over an hour linking to all these DRC hoods trying to figure this out, and I haven't been keeping up with all the latest Grey Hats updates, so I might be way off. :lol:

EDIT: Another quick note - I noticed in my KI Ages list there were two separate tabs for "Bevin" and "Hood." Sorry about all that nitpicking! But I know we Uru fans like everything just so. I guess that's why we're wanting to change "Bevins" to "Hoods" in the first place! :)

Last edited by Kaveman on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next