It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm 

Quote:
Guild of Writers relaunches website, begins CyanWorlds.com Engine Development

April 11, 2011

The Guild of Writers has relaunched its website, giving the wiki a new layout which is more user-friendly. Development Journals have also been revamped, giving artists and programmers a central place for blogging about their guild-related projects.

Along with the website relaunch, the Guild has created a development branch of the CyanWorlds.com Engine because the Guild Council feels that a locally maintained branch is the best way to serve the needs of the community. To that end, we will make every effort to share our progress with other development groups.

For More information, see:
http://guildofwriters.com
http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/Developm ... com_Engine

There are really two pieces of news here: The website relaunch, and the beginning of CyanWorlds.com Engine development. The first hopefully doesn't need any explanation. The second probably does.

OpenURU has no unified vision for the source. That's not necessarily a bad thing - the admins there want to let the community help shape the direction of the code. But in leaving that vision open for debate, they've created a (hopefully temporary) stagnant state. OpenURU has a history of encouraging debate during process development, but sometimes the community can be better served by leadership simply making a decision.

The Guild Councilors, as well as several GoW developers, feel that, at least for now, it's better to work on the code in a place where we can make the changes that our artists ask for, and make them in a timely manner. The Guild developers will, as they always have, listen to our artists and try to give them what they ask for.

I look forward to being able to share our code changes and other developments with the rest of the Uru community, in a continued spirit of fellowship and cooperation.

Shorah,
Branan

Last edited by PaladinOfKaos on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:00 pm 

Love the new site. Excellent work by Tweek, as always. I look forward to developing my Ages for the new engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is great. Things are moving much faster than I had imagined.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 pm 

Great news! :D

Will there be a way to build the client with WINE (winelib to be exact), so that we have a "almost" native client under Linux and OSX?

It would be nice to have at least this WINE based build until the major refactorings like replacing DirectX with OpenGL and PhysX with some other physics library are done that will enable to build "real" native clients under Linux and OSX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am 

I don't know of anyone with plans to try using WineLib, currently. It might be possible, but it would stilll take quite a bit of code cleanup.

When I was your age, we rocket-jumped up hill both ways in boiling lava.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:00 am 
Obduction Backer

This might be totally irrelevant, but PlasmaMax is now compiling under 3ds Max 2011... 8) :P

It still needs some work, but it's not as horribly broken as when I started working on it. If you want to follow the progress, you should definitely watch the github repo, which is where the vast majority of all CWE development is occurring. If you're not a developer, I've been tweeting about my progress in fixing up the plugin.

EDIT: The max plugin fixes are in the "maxfixups" branch for the time being. They'll be merged into master when things are less volatile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

good work

do you know if any of the devs will try and use the MAX code to make a plugin for blender for the ones you can not but 3dMAX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:54 pm 

The max code is basically useless for the blender plugin. The two programs work in entirely different ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:37 am 
Obduction Backer

I'll bite with an alternate question.

Does the current Blender plugin generate fully compatible MOULa content, and if not, will it be updated or are all efforts presently focused on the Max plugin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:28 pm 

PyPRP2 will target Blender 2.5 and MOULagain. A first release will be out as soon as we get PhysX export working correctly. It's being a pain, currently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:25 pm 

I have been learning Blender on and off for a few years now and never really had the motivation until now.

What with OpenUru having dicussions about the Max plug-in and what not and the GOW still doing what they do best (nice to see btw, no really nice). Hopefully the GoMa will have something to get their teeth into.

Makes for an interesting time to be hanging around.

Top stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 pm 

Szark wrote:
What with OpenUru having dicussions about the Max plug-in and what not and the GOW still doing what they do best (nice to see btw, no really nice). Hopefully the GoMa will have something to get their teeth into.

Hoikas has the Max plug-in working correctly now. The fixes are so far not at OU, and won't be for the foreseeable future - I haven't seen any progress over there towards getting a system in place to request that changes be merged. There are some advantages to the GoW having a team that knows Plasma quite well :)

At this point, the OU branch is missing several fixes for various components. I really recommend that if you're going to play with CWE, you grab the GoW code instead. We've got things like support for Max 2011, Python 2.7, and newer versions of Visual Studio, all of which make developing for CWE quite a bit less painful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:52 pm 

Yeah I read about Hoikas work on the Max plug-in. Didn't realise he had got that far. I am still catching up from an Uru hiatus.

I don't own Max, never will at that price. Rendering software is my bag these days and Blender.

I have no knowledge on coding and to be honest I don't have what it takes. My brain isn't wired like that. LOL Hence why I am impressed with what the GOW and others do.

I still read all the posts as I pick up a rudementry understanding of what does what and why. I am learning, just not enough to help with this side of things. If I am to help will be on the content side with help from the plug-ins. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:06 am 

I really don't know how to look at this.

:lol: :( :roll: :x or just plain old :?:

one question I guess will decide me on if this is worth paying attention to....

On your blender plugin are you abstracting it properly?

Or

Is it still all single level non-abstracted like the old blender 4.9 plugin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:59 am 

MustardJeep wrote:
I really don't know how to look at this.

:lol: :( :roll: :x or just plain old :?:

one question I guess will decide me on if this is worth paying attention to....

On your blender plugin are you abstracting it properly?

Or

Is it still all single level non-abstracted like the old blender 4.9 plugin?

If you're asking what I think you're asking... PyPRP2 will be able to target ABM, UU, PoTS/CC, and MOULagain. Maybe also Myst 5 and HexIsle, if anyone feels like putting the effort in. MOULagain and CC are our main targets, though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next