It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have an idea for an age but 3ds Max is just way to expensive for me to purchase and use. So as an alternative could I render in Blender then have it converted later if it became a full blown age project?

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:35 pm 

Trekluver, it is possible to move 3D models from 3DS to Blender and back. The meshes transport well. However, the attributes of things that make the model an Age, not so well.

It is possible. It's not as easy as one would like. I understand that some of the changes one has to make are rather tedious.

The plugin for 3DS does the best job of creating the files that are used with the MOULa client/server. The GoW's plugin for Blender does a good job of creating the files for PoTS oriented clients/servers. For now one targets one or the other.

I suspect converters and new plugins are in the works. How quickly we will see them... I don't know. I have no doubt we'll see them.

AndyLegate works in both Blender and 3DS. You can PM him from here or over at GoMa or maybe GoW. He can give you a more detailed answer. Also, Andy has tutorials up on GoW and GoMa. He is involved in some project right now so he may be slow answering.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:29 pm 

I was under the impression Andy had left the community due to <insert random drama here>.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:59 pm 

Whilyam wrote:
I was under the impression Andy had left the community due to <insert random drama here>.

I'm sure if you politely PM him a question he'd be happy to answer it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:45 am 

I'm not sure how old your are, or what your occupation is, but for most students or employees of universities/other study institutes 3Dmax is free to download if you register on their website. I've done this myself for my research project in neuroscience in which I use virtual reality environments. If you can't do it yourself, maybe you can skirt legality and ask a student close to you who wouldn't use it themselves to do it for you?

Linkylink: http://students.autodesk.com/

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:09 am 

lunanne wrote:

There is no plugin (yet) for the newest version of max >.>

Oh.... Hmm, sorry, didn't know that.

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

Right now I'm a student. But you guys are correct, the plugin only works with the 2007 edition of 3rd max. For now I'm going to use blender in basic render mode (w/o the plugin scripts) and see what I can do. It's probably too big of a project to undertake by myself so I could always start a project thread on openuru. To summarize, the age would include Bahro, Dyson Sphere's, Caution Cones, and Eddie. :D

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:34 pm 

Trek, my suggestion is to just use Blender. You can use blender to export for the offline game and the development tools will be made for Blender, guaranteed. Just use Blender and have fun :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:35 pm 

There is a good post at GoMa by Andy on what the deal will be for ages moving to the Cyan server.

Fan Ages running on MOUL server

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:14 pm 

Here you go dude:

http://dusty.homeunix.net/wiki/Importin ... cts_To_Max

Full tutorial on how to export from Blender and into Max 7. You can go ahead and start learning with Blender if you'd like, since it is free, if nothing else it will be good training on 3D Graphic Modeling. As far as using Blender to create Ages, you can do that with Blender to, and they will run on Uru:CC and POTS. Online, they can run on Alcugs shards.
Here's some links to those tutorials:

http://dusty.homeunix.net/wiki/Andy%27s ... _Tutorials

And here:

http://www.guildofwriters.com/wiki/Main_Page

The GoW is working on re-doing their Wiki, so be careful as you might end up stepping in a paint bucket or something.

Whilyam wrote:

I thought you only did impressions of Jimmy Durant? "Ha Cha Cha Cha Chaaaaaa!"

Actually I've not left the community completely. I'm just up to my eyeballs in work. LOTS of work that I can't talk about publicly.
But it's also why I turned everything over at the GoMa, and am no longer a "Maintainer", nor any more new tutorials.

However, expect a LOT of tutorials down the road from me. Most of which will be about Max and making Age's MOUL:a compatible, Multiplayer musts, sound formats, collider information for PhysX, and how to do Avatar Takeable clothing, plus many others.

My Tutorials

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]