It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:32 pm 

Glad to see this post back. Maybe now we can clear up these persistent issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Mac!

Regnad: My post does seem to imply imply that I was leaving; however,I have no plans to leave permanently or any such thing. Also, I will consider making WhoM and my PRPExplorer download archive available again. Give me some time to think about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I want to write something profound about what happened here this weekend, how much I've learned about some of the people involved which changed the way I think of them now, maybe point out some of the positive things that came out of all this, thank the people involved who opened their minds and their hearts to work towards making those changes, write a run-on sentence... :P ...but the only thing I can think of that really seems appropriate here is…

/bigthumbsup :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm 

May as well give my two cents...

I have been working on making ages in Uru for a few years now, thanks to the help of Adam, and everyone involved in the work of PyPRP and such tools that make fan content for Uru possible. I know I have had a many good moments, and many bad moments with the people involved in the making of these tools. Although I have had my disagreements in the past, I am still truly grateful for what the people behind all these tools have done for the community.

On a more personal note, I probably wouldn't be studying both Special Effects & Game Art in College right now if it weren't for you all. (My ages themselves got me accepted into the programs).

So I wanted to take the time to say thanks to everyone involved in the making of PyPRP and the other tools for Uru that make fan content possible. The power of a dedicated community has the potential to be unlimited, so let's aim for an ever-expanding future. :)

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Generalization, I know, but this is why volunteer efforts can be more difficult than working in a group, on a team where someone pays you and there is a hierarchy.

Volunteers work for different reasons, and there's a different sense of reward. People don't work just for money, not at all, but when there is no money, the recognition thing looms even larger -- why would it not?

And no outranks anyone. There is no one to finally say -- that's it, this is how we are doing it. Sometimes (not always, I know, I know) you get a good manager who does the proverbial smoothing of ruffled feathers and keeps everyone on track.

So good luck everyone. I hope you all hang in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm a lurker in these matters like Teknobubba. I'm really pleased to see this resolved. I'm sure that the silent majority appreciates the doers. May you keep on being able to make things happen, Adam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

What Rusty said! :)

KI # 00009577

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

People do care...I think you all are amazing...http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24779&highlight=

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:48 am 

((((hugs)))) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:28 pm 

"Well, this is the part where he adds pessimism..."
"Hello, this is the part where I add pessimism!"
CHAPTER 9: THE PART WHERE WHILYAM ADDS PESSIMISM
Achievement Unlocked! The part where he adds pessimism: This is that part.

While the outpouring of appreciation is nice to see, I fear this is mostly superficial and temporary. I'd be much more encouraged if I saw people like Stuckuk and others educating themselves on the grey hats. As it stands, it seems likely to me that it's just a matter of time before someone else begins a post with "while I have no idea what I'm talking about, blah blah blah." and this whole thing goes up again. It's one thing to have most of the grey-hat-supporters come out of hibernation, it's another thing to have the grey-hat-haters learn the truth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:49 am 

ok I will ask what is a grey hat and why the term grey hat? (yes I have been away for a while).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 am 

Szark wrote:
ok I will ask what is a grey hat and why the term grey hat? (yes I have been away for a while).

Basically they don't always play by the rules but they don't have malicious intent. They are not white hats that follow all the rules to the letter but they also don't want to see the world end like the black hats. Its like the term "Gray Area".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:02 am 
Obduction Backer

It's actually a hacking term. It's used for any type of hacking. It goes from White to Grey to Black hats, with the White Hats using their skills to uncover flaws and point them out, the Grey Hats being a bit ambiguous, and the Black Hats being the traditional "bad guys". So, I guess Grey Hats are okay in the Uru community, because they're really exploiting the game - just doing special things here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:03 pm 

Lyrositor wrote:
It's actually a hacking term. It's used for any type of hacking. It goes from White to Grey to Black hats, with the White Hats using their skills to uncover flaws and point them out, the Grey Hats being a bit ambiguous, and the Black Hats being the traditional "bad guys". So, I guess Grey Hats are okay in the Uru community, because they're really exploiting the game - just doing special things here and there.
Oh cool I had no idea, cheers that was the info I was looking for.

Well personally I would call them Grey to White (or a whitish grey) hats then. :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next