It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Does OSMO need to update the linking effect?
Yes 43%  43%  [ 26 ]
No 57%  57%  [ 34 ]
Total votes : 60
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:40 am 
Obduction Backer

What about combining Myst III and Myst IV linking effect

Exile: A golden glow passes over you, starting at the hand, and you vanish, with the last few particles of gold light shooting into the linking panel.

Revelation: Effect is only seen once, at a distance, where it looks like a sort of orange, glowing flame shoots down your body, disintegrating it.

That would be beautiful.

Part of me thinks that would also be GPU intensive ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:08 pm 

So, let me try to picture this:

A glowing flame starts at your hand and envelops your body, and you vanish.

Right?

Go show your support to the makers of the Myst film!
www.mystmovie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:17 am 
Obduction Backer

close...the discintegraton starts at your hand...and the fire goes out from your hand...

like i said...i can't exactly picture it myself...and i can't see the average pc rendering it in real time 3D too well either.

(Gah, i'm thinking again...BAHROS ARE SAPPING MY TABLETS!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:36 am 

Mr. Blackwood wrote:
BAHROS ARE SAPPING MY TABLETS!

I keep hearing that meme... Where did that come from?

www.mystmovie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:56 am 

No idea where it came from- probably some obscure bit of plot in the online game or expansion. Or actually... given the reference to tablets, probably Myst 5. In Myst 5, you affect the world around primarly by drawing symbols on magic tablets. Sounds like a DS gimmick, but I hear it works. Haven't played myself. Anyway, if the bahros are disabling -sapping- your tablets... there ya go.

Now, I have a little explaining to do. No offense, but some of you don't seem to understand what makes a game a game in the graphical sense; how they are rendered. First, let's distinguish the difference between the various Myst games.

In the original Myst: it's basically a Powerpoint presentation. Clicking on certain things causes you to move to a new picture with buttons that look like part of the picture on it, and sometimes it puts an animated quicktime move over the picture to make soemthing move. When someone "links" it's just a photshop with the shimmeries and the person, who was just layered onto the image in the first place, dissapearing. These are unique images and drawn manually, not a code which contextually creates a linking animation.

Myst II: Riven: Same deal. It's still a slideshow with some quicktime movies. Linking is still just a fancy photoshop job put into a quicktime movie.

Myst III: Exile: This is what trips people up. You can now look around. However, it's just the same powerpoint, same drawn-in or bluescreened stuff, but you're actually looking at a panoramic image[/img]- which is to say, several different images, placed against eachother to create the illusion of a real environment. There is still NO GEOMETRY AT ALL. NONE. To further emphasize this, look at [url=http://tinyurl.com/bx24uj]Google maps. Instead of creating their own images like Myst did, they drove a car down and took photos (from a special array of several cameras) so you could walk down you house as if it were Myst. This is exactly how Myst works. How are people linked? Still 2D picture magic.

Myst IV: This also trips people up. It's the same, but with 3D geomtrical objects placed in in some places. For linking though, it's still the same system. Each time you see someone link, it has to be drawn manually, just like before.

URU: This is a "Normal" game. Everything you see is a 3D geometry. The environment is navigated by moving your fat self, who is an object, around the environment. They stop moving because they hit collision boxes, and fall because of a physics engine. When you link, your character dissapears and is replaces by some shimmers of light and particle effects. If Master Chief teleports in halo, it's don teh same way- your character, who is an object, dissapears and is repalces by a new 3D animated object, which si to say the linking efefct (which then dies away). This requires an object that is the linking "shimmers" to be made in a 3D modeling engine (it works just like, say, an explosion). Your characters textures might also have a shimmer run over them. If you want the character to perform a movement ("animation") like touching their relto book before they link (dissapear and make shimmeries), you can do that.

Still talking about URU- also to be clear, an age is a level mafe in a 3D modeling engine just like in Halo, Grand Theft Auto, and Mariokart. You can do basically anything you can render (though URU might not support some advanced lighting, normal mapping, and reflective effects).

Still talking about URU: The reason then, that your shoes dissapear last, is that they are technically different objects from your character, although they're stuck to them. That allows them to selected from avrying files so that can be different- just like all your other clothing (bodies are morphed by a set of numbers, that's a bit more complex, but your body is a discreet object). A script would read, (not in actual code language of course) "make shimmers, dissapear body, dissapear hat, dissapear shirt, dissapear pants, dissapear shoes". The shoes might stay longer if the script is slowed down because your CPU is already under the burden of loading a new area, because the "dissapear shoes" clause is taking longer to activate. If the script fails to complete for whatever reason, they might stay until your client has left the server shard entirely.

Alright, let's quiz your understanding! (spoilers are answers)

Can you make your character dissapear in an explosion that looks EXACTLY like a grenade in Halo, by using the file that hs the grenade explosion effect in halo in lieu of the normal linking effect? How about an explosion of your own making? [spoiler]YES!!![/spoiler]

Can you make a script that deliverately leaves your character's shoes behind? [spoiler]Yes, but they'll dissapear when your computer disconnects from that part of the server unless the server has created a new pair of shoes to stay where your old ones were.[/spoiler]

Can you make a link that looks like one from another Myst game? [spoiler]Yes![/spoiler]

Can you make a link where your character flies away in a jetpack? Or any other linking that involves props? [spoiler]Yeah, I guess. But it might slow down the entire server shard. Plus if there's a cieling, your character will fly through it which looks retarded. Plus the jetpack would pretty much appear out of nowhere. What, are you going to tell me you had it in your back pocket? I doubt that.[/spoiler]

Can you, as a server host, modify the maine game code so that player could use a custom linking animation that was stored in a properly named folder hierarchy? [spoiler]Yes please! GoMA might have to screen out stripper links though.[/spoiler]

Can I, using the normal game, make my own linking animations appear? [spoiler]Sadly, no. The code uses the linking script that is stored on the server. While someone could modify this (so, for example, an age maker could make different books in their age have different linking animations, or players could make custom ones) it is not possible in the normal game.[/spoiler]

Alright, now got it? No more "Can we do rain?" and "Well, they did it RealMyst..." and "The linking animation is part of The Code. You may not change The Code, for this would be herecy, we must use what the Cyan have given us." Mkay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Sadly, no. The code uses the linking script that is stored on the server. While someone could modify this (so, for example, an age maker could make different books in their age have different linking animations, or players could make custom ones) it is not possible in the normal game.

This is actually client side. Check the GlobalAvatars prp(s). There is a layer effect for linking out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:30 am 

I liked the linking effects from Revelations and Exile... They're awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:38 am 

AdamJohnso wrote:
Quote:
Sadly, no. The code uses the linking script that is stored on the server. While someone could modify this (so, for example, an age maker could make different books in their age have different linking animations, or players could make custom ones) it is not possible in the normal game.

This is actually client side. Check the GlobalAvatars prp(s). There is a layer effect for linking out.

True, however, only people with this file in their client would see it. For everyone to see it, everyone would have to have the file and the game itself would need to tell it to display (or at least, if there's going to be varying linking effects- otherwise, just replace the existing one with same name, etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:21 am 

Sensei wrote:
AdamJohnso wrote:
Quote:

True, however, only people with this file in their client would see it. For everyone to see it, everyone would have to have the file and the game itself would need to tell it to display (or at least, if there's going to be varying linking effects- otherwise, just replace the existing one with same name, etc).

Right, my idea stated earlier was that you could replace the existing link animation in your client. That way everyone could see the linking the way they wanted it.

And about your earlier post, I hope you didn't think I thought you could somehow lift the link animations directly out of the Myst games. That would be nuts. :D

www.mystmovie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:14 am 

Not you specifically, but some people seem to be wondering whether or not that's possible. I sensed some general misintperetation of what can and cannot be implemented, and above you ahve the product of me being simultaneously grumpy and industrious. :D

Now if only I can get moderately bothered by world hunger... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I vote for.... A giant laser shoots you, dividing you up into small cubes. It then blasts away at you repeatedly, removing pieces of you bit by bit, until it eventually sucks all of you inside.

Oh, wait, that's Tron. Sorry ;)

Anyway, to be more serious, and to address the original question, I don't think the linking effect *needs* to be updated, although it might be nice to have something a little more fancy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:55 am 

Funny, I just watched Tron for the first time in ages last night.
Have you been following the Tron 2.0 movie?
It's looking AWESOME.

But I digress. :D

www.mystmovie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:46 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I vote for.... A giant laser shoots you, dividing you up into small cubes. It then blasts away at you repeatedly, removing pieces of you bit by bit, until it eventually sucks all of you inside.

What color would the laser be though? :)

I thought Tron 2.0 was a game by Buena Vista Interactive.

but a movie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:52 am 
Obduction Backer

Mr. Blackwood wrote:
Quote:

What color would the laser be though? :)

I thought Tron 2.0 was a game by Buena Vista Interactive.

but a movie?

Tron 2.0 was indeed a game. TR2N is a movie sequel that's currently in pre-pre-production.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:36 am 
Obduction Backer

The linking effects i think are good in all the games. I do miss the fly over effect on link in though, and moving video linking pannels are very cool.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next