It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: OSMO for vista question
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:05 pm 

I tried to install my CC copy on my vista today, and i realized that it doesn't work. The screen gets black for a moment then i return to my desktop.

My question is: Are you or cyan going to make sure OSMO works for vista? :D And how much work would that be.

Note: This is probably a stupid question because you guys have probably thought of this already. But i have to ask :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:39 pm 

MOUL worked fine on Vista and there is no reason OSMO (or whatever it might be called) should not work as well.

The problem with CC on Vista is probably the version of Quicktime you have installed. I run the equivalent with ABM plus the two expansion packs, To D'ni and PoTS. The latest version of QT that I could use to get it to work is V6.5.2. Version 7 breaks it. This becomes a problem if you are running the latest QT+iTunes. I had to uninstall QT 7 and install QT 6 to get Uru to work. Uru came with V3 on the CD and CC had V4 I believe. Version 6.5.2 gave me the best results for all the Myst games that require QT.

Uru/TD/PoTS also worked on Windows 7 beta. I haven't tried it on Win7 RC yet... I just loaded the RC yesterday to play with it.

Note: These comments are only true of Vista32. I have no experience trying to do this on Vista64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:38 pm 

Thank you for a great answer. :) quicktime has always been a problem :? but if it works on windows 7 (that i'm planning to get) it's fine for me. Just one question... When you said that myst works on win7 did you mean with QT 7 or with QT 6?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:32 pm 

I used QT 6.5.2 on Win7. IIRC, some of the earlier versions of QT would not install at all. I succeeded in getting everything but realMYST to run on Vista and Win7b. There are a number of patches you need to get for Riven, Myst IV and V. The initial sound and video init files are not created during the install of Myst V so it crashes and the patch creates them. I'm not sure if there are patches for Uru:CC but they are needed for ABM if you do not update it with the expansion packs. I've only mentioned the official patches available from Cyan. Anything beyond this is not permitted by forum rules.

The version of Myst I tested was the Masterpiece Edition. If I ever find the CD for the original release version, I'll test that one too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:03 pm 

Thank you. I just hope that using QT 6 doesn't affect the performance of other games i play. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 pm 

Unless a game requires the most recent version of QT, you should not have many problems. You may see a bit of choppy video or hear some distortion in the sound but this is preferable to not being able to play at all. Riven is one game that comes to mind that suffers in quality during the parts requiring QT. Gameplay is not affected... only the animations. Trying to get older games to play on the latest version of Windows is as much a puzzle solving exercise as playing a Myst game :D . realMYST downloaded from Gametap works but I can't get the CD version to start more than one time out of 25 or 30 attempts and I think that one success is just a glitch. If there is a simple fix to realMYST and Vista/Win7, I haven't found it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

As far as I'm aware, Quicktime has nothing to do with Uru at all. I don't know what else could be the problem, but I'm quite sure that it isn't Quicktime's fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:30 pm 

Erik wrote:
As far as I'm aware, Quicktime has nothing to do with Uru at all. I don't know what else could be the problem, but I'm quite sure that it isn't Quicktime's fault.

Doh! You are right. Uru uses BINK, not QT. (And yes, I had to put the CD in to check it.) So much for my memory. :oops:
I've had various issues with URU:ABM in the past which became worse after I loaded Service Pack 1. I'm not familiar with Uru:CC since I had ABM and PoTS (w/ To D'ni) CDs.

Getting back to the original problem, it sounds almost exactly like what happens with realMYST and an unpatched Myst V... the game starts and then crashes to desktop. I've managed to overcome some difficulties for Uru by copying some of the files from a previously working installation of Uru. Myst V's problem was in the audio and video init files. Uru has these files too.

I guess I will have to haul out my Uru disks and try to install it on this nice clean Win 7 system and see exactly what problems I get. Sorry for my confusion which adds to everyone's confusion.

BTW, I just loaded Myst ME on Win7 RC without any problem. I selected NO for QT4, yes for DX6.1 and then loaded QT 6.5.2. I launched the game with no problem.

Now I am confused... I just loaded ABM and then PoTS on Win7 RC and it took off and ran without a problem. I ended up standing in the Cleft looking at the volcano, ready to go wander over to Zandi's trailer. This was the easiest install yet! Vista was a nightmare and Win7 beta gave me troubles as well. Win7 RC was no problem at all. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've got cc installed on two Vista laptops, and they both run fine and installed with no trouble.

Edit: But realMyst, that's another matter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:05 pm 

One things I noticed was that none of the init files or any of the logs were created when I started to play. This might be due to installing the game in the default location in Program Files. On all my Vista installations, I changed Program Files to Programdata during install. I believe I did this because Gametap always installed MOUL in that directory on a Vista system. The Program Files directory has some quirky permissions in Vista so there may be a good reason for making this choice. I uninstalled Uru on my Win 7 RC systems and will reinstall in a different directory to see if this was indeed the problem for the missing files. /me grumbles about Windows security, balky DVD drives, and life in general.

I do have working installs on both Vista Business Edition and the Home Premium Edition. I remember a lot of pain in getting it to work properly and then SP1 breaking things that required workarounds to get it work the next time I tried a clean install.

Update: Loading the game in ProgramData instead of Program Files fixed the problem with the missing init and log files so I would recommend NOT using the default install directory for Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:10 pm 

You can also go to the install folder while you're installing it and give yourself full control permission for it, but that's a bit more complicated. :)

Also, no version of Uru uses QuickTime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:43 pm 

SCGreyWolf wrote:
You can also go to the install folder while you're installing it and give yourself full control permission for it, but that's a bit more complicated. :)

Also, no version of Uru uses QuickTime.

The recommendation to install in a directory other than "program files" on Vista was to make the install as simple as possible. I've had nothing but trouble trying to change permissions in the Program Files tree only to have them all reset by the operating system. It almost appears that the O/S enforces a particular set of inherited permissions in Program Files and will not allow you to change things (or it resets them after the fact).

My obsession with QT and Myst and Riven got tangled with my Uru install problems somewhere along the trip, I began to think Uru needed QT as well. Of course Uru used BINK instead of QT... pardon me while I write that on the blackboard a few hundred times so I can remember it in the future. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uru should have no inherent trouble with Vista. Installing it away from Program Files is a good idea for lots of reasons whether you're using Vista or not, but yes, Vista does do some annoying security on Program Files. It can have some annoying security everywhere, if you aren't careful.

Sounds to me more like a hardware issue, like Intel GMA or somesuch. Uru:CC has always had lots of trouble with Intel graphics.

Obviously, make sure you have all your updates and current hardware drivers. But Uru:CC runs fine on Vista.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Sounds to me more like a hardware issue, like Intel GMA or somesuch. Uru:CC has always had lots of trouble with Intel graphics.
URU:CC has never supported the Intel GMA (express) chipset. The game is too old.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]