It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:12 pm 

Mystdee wrote:
Oh and Erik beat you to posting about the Cyantist review. . .see Derek's (Danear's) response above ;)

Oops. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

vidkid7 wrote:
It is absolutely possible to "finish" Myst in less than five minutes, it just involves knowing exactly what to do, and skipping pretty much everything, just inputting the endgame solution. Unfortunately, it seems to be turning into a meme that's getting retweeted quite a bit. This worries me, because it seems like a lot of people who've never played before are spoiling themselves.

We gotta tell them not to do it that way.
I kinda forgot the /exact/ clues and answers, so I decided not to go for ANY help. It's love, excitement and joy all over again - almost like the first time :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:37 pm 

Although I had seen Myst back in the day, I'm a newbie given I never really played it myself. I'm having a blast with this version. I've spent many hours playing since its release (I downloaded it on Saturday evening) and enjoy figuring out the puzzles and the mystery behind the dysfunctional family. I solved the Mechanical age myself and I'm currently working in the age with the trees. I found the linking book back to Myst island there but haven't found any pages yet.

For those who simply play the fast game or use walkthrough or cheat guides, you really are only cheating yourself out of an immensely exciting adventure with all sorts of little details that really make finding them worthwhile. I hear that Riven is even better so I hope Cyan gets enough revenue from Myst to port over the sequel as well. I know I’ll be going through withdrawal after I finish Myst and Riven would be just the fix I’ll need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

ponyboy wrote:
Although I had seen Myst back in the day, I'm a newbie given I never really played it myself. I'm having a blast with this version. I've spent many hours playing since its release (I downloaded it on Saturday evening) and enjoy figuring out the puzzles and the mystery behind the dysfunctional family. I solved the Mechanical age myself and I'm currently working in the age with the trees. I found the linking book back to Myst island there but haven't found any pages yet.

For those who simply play the fast game or use walkthrough or cheat guides, you really are only cheating yourself out of an immensely exciting adventure with all sorts of little details that really make finding them worthwhile. I hear that Riven is even better so I hope Cyan gets enough revenue from Myst to port over the sequel as well. I know I’ll be going through withdrawal after I finish Myst and Riven would be just the fix I’ll need.

Yes, It was that way for fans when it came out in 1993 and they had to wait 4 years for Riven! :shock: for that reason, I am happy I didn't discover Myst until after Riven was out . . . I just had to wait long enough to get to the store to buy Riven ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok, I'm a little fuzzy on this, so I might be entirely wrong... but didn't the maze runner originally take you back one step when you hit the "Backtrack" button? So that if you hit it enough times, you'd make your way back to the docking bay? Now it seems to just move the maze runner backwards down the track, and stops if there's something behind it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 pm 

It did. The good reason for that was that you couldn't get lost. That could be a big frustrating problem for people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

BUG REPORT: Based on my previous post, I decided to take the Maze Runner to the final node, and then send it down the track to the goal... but BACKWARDS. The result of this is pretty hilarious, since it plays the standard straight track "go backwards" animation, and after it's finished, you can no longer go forward or turn, only continue going backwards... FOREVER.

At first I panicked, figuring that I had doomed that particular version of The Stranger to be trapped going backwards in the maze runner forever... but it turns out that even though it doesn't look like you can exit the vehicle, you CAN.

Additional Note: I also just noticed that the water pool under the microphone in the Selentic age is no longer animated. Is that by design or is it a bug? Either way, it makes me a little sad, since that was one of my favorite screens in the original game.... but it IS a relatively minor thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:38 pm 

vidkid7 wrote:
BUG REPORT: Based on my previous post, I decided to take the Maze Runner to the final node, and then send it down the track to the goal... but BACKWARDS. The result of this is pretty hilarious, since it plays the standard straight track "go backwards" animation, and after it's finished, you can no longer go forward or turn, only continue going backwards... FOREVER.

At first I panicked, figuring that I had doomed that particular version of The Stranger to be trapped going backwards in the maze runner forever... but it turns out that even though it doesn't look like you can exit the vehicle, you CAN.

Additional Note: I also just noticed that the water pool under the microphone in the Selentic age is no longer animated. Is that by design or is it a bug? Either way, it makes me a little sad, since that was one of my favorite screens in the original game.... but it IS a relatively minor thing.

It seems that the iPhone will only allow full-screen videos, with no user input except to skip them. It probably had to be taken out because a moving pool of water that stops when you touch the screen would look kind of weird.

[spoiler]It seems Atrus' writing animation plays without having to be a video, but it's still a little hinky. Wouldn't be good for water, I imagine.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

vidkid7 wrote:

If you go close it is animated . . . . I thought it was supposed to be animated from the more distant view too but was told it was always that way, even in Myst Masterpiece, :lol:

I also checked when I got that info and indeed it was the same in the original Myst (at least my Playstation version which is what I have handy to check)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:17 am 
Obduction Backer

We ARE #1 In paid adventure Games! :lol: w00t !!!
as well as #1 in paid Puzzle games!

#3 in overall paid games
#9 Overall paid apps!
(USA)

Heh, look at me saying WE :oops: but it feels like we all are #1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am 
Obduction Backer

In the Netherlands #1 Overall paid apps! :)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

One of those moments that you can say out loud that you're proud to be Dutch. 8) :lol:
I hope Myst will stay on the 1st place for a long time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

matthornb wrote:
I think if Cyan's getting a good-sized cut of these sales we may be seeing open source Uru soon - and more Cyan iPhone games!

Not counting any deals they had to make with external development partners or other encumbrances, Cyan receives 70% of the gross revenue from the Myst iPhone game (around $4). Do the math:they will need unusually sustained, unusually high sales figures just to break even, let alone fund future projects. Hope for the best, but keep your expectations low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:14 pm 

In Portugal, Myst is now:

#7 on Top paid Apps!
#1 on Top paid Adventure Games!
#1 on Top paid Puzzle Games!

Myst... In Portugal's gamers hearts, since 1993. :D

Last edited by Ashler on Wed May 06, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:15 pm 

I hate people who give it bad reviews. Like the guy who gave it I think two stars because it was only a slideshow. Duh...

I've been playing the game, and since I can't play to solve puzzles because I know all the answers, I've been looking for bugs, and I've noticed some, unfortunately.

On Myst Island: [spoiler]After raising the Channelwood tree, and then lowering it to get into the linking chamber, I then used the wheel to raise the tree back up. But then every time I spun around, it would show the entrance until it started rising again. When it finished rising, I turned around and the entrance was still there. So I walked into it and ended up in the air.[/spoiler]

On Stoneship: [spoiler]This is kind of a gamebreaking bug. It doesn't let people solve the game any sooner, but if they take advantage of it it will ruin their experience.

After you've picked up the pages on Stoneship, you can revisit the Age, and when you click on the locations of the pages, the pages reappear, and you can then add them to the books. You can do this as many times as you want, until you free the brother, of course.[/spoiler]

Other than that, nothing so far. My favorite thing about this version is the full screen flybys.

And I never knew this would happen, but I actually figured something out in this version that I never figured out in the original.

[spoiler]In Mechanical Age, when rotating the fortress, after pushing to button to raise the elevator back up, it would play a sound from Selenitic. I always assumed it was a glitch, and didn't think about it. Then, when I was showing a friend the game, I figured it out. Those are supposed to indicate your direction! Doh![/spoiler]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next