It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:42 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:20 pm 

It's #4 on Top paid apps in Germany now, but I for myself won't buy it, because the original game is my least favorite Myst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:33 pm 

I saw someone mention Facebook, asking if it was spreading the word.

I did a search for Pages and Groups, but didn't see anything, so I created my own group.

It's called "iBought iMyst for my iPhone or iPod Touch!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Pfft, I'd expected Myst to become Apple's pick of the week... :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:10 pm 

So, after playing Myst for the past few days, I am really noticing all of the places they had to create full screen videos. While I understand why, and it's not horribly bothersome, I do wonder if this technical limitation is going to cause problems for the potential Riven port. Riven is far more dynamic in idle shots - especially the rippling water. I would be very upset if Riven's water had to be static... The only "ugly" thing about Myst is it's weird textured, unmoving water. Anyone else wonder if this will be a problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:15 pm 
Obduction Backer

Analord wrote:
So, after playing Myst for the past few days, I am really noticing all of the places they had to create full screen videos. While I understand why, and it's not horribly bothersome, I do wonder if this technical limitation is going to cause problems for the potential Riven port. Riven is far more dynamic in idle shots - especially the rippling water. I would be very upset if Riven's water had to be static... The only "ugly" thing about Myst is it's weird textured, unmoving water. Anyone else wonder if this will be a problem?

Chogon said this about it on page 23:
Chogon wrote:
We've submitted several feature requests to Apple that would be needed for something like Riven.

So Riven won't be possible if Apple doesn't change a few things regarding playing videos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:18 pm 

Erik wrote:
So Riven won't be possible if Apple doesn't change a few things regarding playing videos.

Ah, I didn't catch that one... Thank you for the quick reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:25 pm 

Myst is now the 9th most downloaded paid app on the US app store.

All of the ones getting more downloads than Myst are priced at $1.99 or less.

Which means that (possibly) Myst is generating more actual revenue today than any other app on the entire app store!

BTW, rating of the app is at 4 1/2 stars. That's not a bad rating by any means.

The thing that worries me a bit, but also is good in some ways, is that Myst's first wave - obsessed fans buying and rating the game immediately after its release - may now be beginning to ebb, as most of us here have already bought and rated the app. Now we're going to have to depend on casual fans and non-fans drawn by the high rating, sales, ranking, etc, for most of the sales from now on.

This is great in that we're getting new people to try Myst who never have before, and that they're buying the app, but we'll also be getting a lot more reviews from people who aren't really fans and don't particularly understand or like the game. I think/fear we may see the ratings slip even further, down from 4 1/2 to 4 stars or so. After all, we can't expect everyone like the gameplay of Myst; the puzzle/adventure genre isn't everyone's taste - and people may not like the 1993 CGI or slideshow interface of this game.

Unless the game gets featured in a big way soon, we may be facing a Myst opportunity. If there's enough attention and press now, we can boost the sales and keep them high for a good while. But the pattern on the app store for almost every app is a rise in sales early on, either a sudden rise to the top for an anticipated game like this, or a gradual rise for an app released with little fanfare.

Then, after the app gets attention for a few weeks, it'll usually go downhill from there as new apps take its place. It's a very faddish sort of situation, and like movies in theaters, "opening weekend box-office" or the equivalent may be a large portion of the total revenue. For an app with a great rating, this is somewhat less true, as with a well-reviewed movie, but generally the debut is all-important. Myst has made a strong showing, but I don't know if it can climb much higher than it is right now, or how long it'll stay popular. We're looking at high-profile apps like Sims 3 and Mass Effect getting released soon on the iPhone. This is competitve.

I'll also note that press releases on 148apps, appshopper, and various news sites indicate that:

About 500 million apps have been downloaded in the last three months, after around 500 million in the six months prior to that. More and more people have iPhones over time and app sales per day are generally increasing over time.

The average app sells for about $2.86. For every 2 downloads, there is $1 in app sales (approx.)

Therefore about 17% of app downloads are downloads of paid apps. There are a little over 40,000 apps on the App store right now. Judging by records of the last 100 apps, it seems that about 25% of apps released are free.

So about 30,000 paid apps?

I'll make some guesses - these are only guesses, because there's no way for us to know the actual numbers unless Apple or Cyan tells us - but I'll estimate that there are about 1.3 million paid app downloads per day.

I'll also apply the Pareto principle, which isn't a scientific law, of course, just an observation of inequality in numerical distributions, particularly in economics. It's a good estimate that for whatever reason is often close to the actual statistical figures but never exactly right.

It's also known as the 80/20 rule; in any given economy about 80% of income is made by the richest 20% of the people, around 80% of sales are made by the top 20% of products, the worst 20% of the bugs cause 80% of the complaints, the best 20% of creative people come up with 80% of the ideas, etc.

In many categories this pattern of estimation seems to come close to observed reality. So when fans make their new ages for open-source Uru, for instance, don't be surprised if the most popular 20% of fan ages absorb around 80% of the total time Uru players (as a group) spend playing fan-created ages. Don't be surprised if the most Uru-obsessed 20% of Uru players account for about 80% of the total hours spent by players playing Open Source Uru. And so on...

I don't know what the reason is for this, it's just one of those distributions, like the Bell curve, that seems to show up in a lot of statistics.

If "Myst" is the #9 most downloaded app out of 30,000 paid apps today (it is in the US but in a lot of other countries it varies. So who knows? But I guess the US is the biggest iPhone market out of all the countries that use iPhones so it's probably closer to correct than most other countries), and the Pareto curve is accurate (probably isn't but may be fairly close to correct), then we've got, in my best guess, iPhone Myst selling about 27,000 copies today. At $6/copy, that's around $160,000 in sales today. Apple gets 30% of that. Whoever funded Cyan gets the majority (not clue how much) of what's left after that. Cyan gets who knows how much, oh well...

The bottom line is, I have no clue. At least now I'm making it a point to say this is just an estimate (JUST MY ESTIMATE!) because I wasn't clear enough in saying that in the past.

But I think it looks like Myst for iPhone may ultimately make well in excess of a million dollars in sales, maybe more than 2 or even possibly 3 million. It's a hit app. It's going to make more money than the once-hyped "Koi Pond" app that sold about a million copies. It may be played by several hundred thousand people. It may result in a surge of interest in other Myst games. Question is, what's Cyan's cut, and how lucrative will this be for them?

And will they give us an open source Uru now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:51 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Tom Sowa, Spokesman Review wrote:
Revenue from the sales will be divided three ways, with Apple getting about 30 percent, and the rest split between Cyan and its Japanese partner, SunSoft.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/tx ... ostID=8964

If you take the literal word of the article and assume "split" means evenly (50%/50%), and it means actual money and not other payment or investment forms, Cyan and SunSoft each earn about 35% of revenues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wired has an brief article now too :lol:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/05/7 ... ts-iphone/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

The stranger wrote:
Where's the reviews!!!!! :evil:

At the bottom of the main page of the iTunes Store (not just the App Store), there is a popup menu where you can select your country. If you select United States there, you should see lots of reviews.

The link Mystdee gave does not take you to the US Myst page, it takes you to the Myst page in whatever country you selected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

:shock: I didn't know that thanks for clearing that up :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:35 pm 

Myst seems to be doing pretty well so far.

#8 among all apps
#4 among all games
#1 among all adventure games
#2 among all puzzle games (Oops, it slipped!)

329 reviews and still a 4.5 star overall rating. That's quite good!

Hm, someone wrote a review titled Stuck in Blackness giving the app a 4 star rating. Seems he doesn't realize that he's run in to another puzzle, and considers this to be an issue, rather than a feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cubkyle wrote:
Myst seems to be doing pretty well so far.

#8 among all apps
#4 among all games
#2 among all puzzle games (Oops, it slipped!)

329 reviews and still a 4.5 star overall rating. That's quite good!

Hm, someone wrote a review titled Stuck in Blackness giving the app a 4 star rating. Seems he doesn't realize that he's run in to another puzzle, and considers this to be an issue, rather than a feature.

I don't know that it really fits in that puzzle category that well LOL the other games there are very different. . . but I am So impressed and happy to see the results :lol: it is truly awesome and deserved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 pm 

I found a few more reviews where people mention being stuck in the compass room in the dark. One where someone even says that they quite sure that they pressed the right button, but are still stuck in the dark. Maybe there is a bug there. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:13 pm 

Pretty good in Finland too.

#8 among all apps
#6 among all games

Zap

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next