It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:05 pm 

Ah! I didn't know that. Thanks, Tai! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mystdee wrote:

Here's a bigger article on Wired, in the GeekDad blog:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/05/my ... plication/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh cool 8) thanks for the heads up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:13 pm 

Koetsu wrote:
Here's how I did that puzzle:

[spoiler]It's actually easy enough that you don't need to remember the Mechanical noises at all. The first two rooms only have one other direction to go than the one you came from, so you can match the noises to those directions, leaving you with two. Once you have those, the next few rooms (two directions each) use different noises, so you can reason out the directions you've already gone, which gives you the noise for all directions by room 5. After that, it's just a matter of following the noises until the puzzle's over.[/spoiler]

I played with that puzzle when I first played for hours, never thinking about mapping it out. But I finally figured it out when...

[spoiler=Click to spoil your fun]I arrived at an intersection and heard two sounds at once. I thought to myself, "If it's possible that one sound indicated N, S, E, and W, then two sounds would be SE, NW, and stuff."

Pretty much the same stuff, but two sounds was what made it finally click.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:05 pm 

Myst got front page mentioning at iPod Touch Fans.
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182657

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:55 am 

Jane wrote:
Tutelary wrote:
I don't know if this is a bug or my being rubbish at solving the puzzle, but I'm having a problem in the underground rail car thing in Selenic. This puzzle was the one that had me stumped the longest the first time I played, and it's giving me even more trouble now. It's one of the very few puzzles in all the Myst games that I don't remember the solution for, and I want to solve it if I can, but I'm becoming increasingly certain that it's impossible for me to do so, and must be a bug.

This is happening: I'm in the car, and simply don't have anywhere I can go. I've mapped out my possible choices, and as you can see, there aren't many.

http://bayimg.com/hapBiaAbI

If you know how to solve the puzzle, that should make sense. Unless I'm getting it totally wrong. I'm positive that the map is correct. So my question to those of you who know the solution to this maze is, am I missing some vital element of solving the puzzle, or is it broken?

Hi Tutelary,

I just did the mazerunner puzzle in Selenitic this afternoon, & it worked fine for me--I'm pretty sure it's not buggy. I think you can probably solve it by making diagrams as you're doing (I remember trying to make very elaborate maps when I first tackled it in the original version), but there is also another way. Hint:

[spoiler]Have you been to the Mechanical Age yet? There's something there that you might find very helpful in figuring out how the mazerunner works.[/spoiler]
Let us know if you want a stronger hint than this. Good luck! :)

Hey, I actually have had the same problem as Tutelary. Same area and I am definitely suck on the same rails. It's not matter of incorrectly drawing maps or hearing the wrong sounds or anything. The only thing wrong with Tutelary's map is that it does not have the bend to the right then to the left in the rails when heading south from the nothern-most turn pike to the middle one. I was taking notes on how to back track to the starting point and I came into the area from the South.

This is a rather major glitch, and I'm hoping they fix it soon.

I also experienced the darkness glitch in the compass room in Stoneship age. I had luckily bookmarked a few frames before and was able to skip out of the glitch. It wasn't a matter of "getting lost in the dark" (which is pretty ridiculous as there is a flashing blue light and everything is lit in the background as a dark blue to show the water surrounding the room) as much as the screen going black. The darkness when I hit the wrong button on the compass and the darkness when I hit the right button and the game glitched are completely different things.

This is the first time I ever played Myst so I've obviously made mistakes, but I'm not mistaking a game glitch for me not being able to figure out what to do. To give myself a little bit of credit, I was able to beat Riven when it came out years ago without resorting to using any outside help.

I wanted to make the point of this game not being technically perfect because there seems to be a general condescending attitude toward the people who run into these glitches.

Also, sorry if I sound arrogant. I read over my post and I see that I could have said things in a better tone. However, it does get the point across. It's just a little frustrating because I really was on a roll with this game until these glitches happened.

Thanks for understanding and any help with my tunnel situation would be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Bryehn wrote:
Also, sorry if I sound arrogant. I read over my post and I see that I could have said things in a better tone. However, it does get the point across. It's just a little frustrating because I really was on a roll with this game until these glitches happened.

It's quite understandable... The bug is quite frustrating. Fortunately it has been confirmed and hopefully the patch will be released soon. Welcome to the forums. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Erik is correct this has been confirmed and they are working on it. Hopefully the first update will be released soon, the only "work around" for now is to avoid that area of the tracks. If you have a saved game somewhere prior to this you can go back to that of course, otherwise I am afraid the only other way is a new game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 pm 

Such an interesting bug. What seems to have happened exactly? An exit route was left out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Cubkyle wrote:
Such an interesting bug. What seems to have happened exactly? An exit route was left out?

this one is a tricky one for sure. . . it only seems to happen if you take a specific wrong turn, which seems to be one that is easy to make judging from the number of people encountering it . . . I made that trip many many times and never got stuck, but my route was burned into my brain after a while :lol: and I never made that wrong turn I guess. . . I even tried testing with wrong turns a few times but must have not hit this particular place . . . Not being a programmer I don't know the technical info of the fix involved, but by jove, I believe they have it covered ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:43 pm 

That may have happened to me once. I was trying to navigate the maze like I've done many times, and the game seemed to glitch. It wouldn't show the video, and where I ended up didn't seem to have any way out. Is that what happened, or is mine different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Probably the Same Leviathan019, but if you think it may be different and have the specifics, of what occured, please post it in the iPhone/iPod technical discussion topic and it can be reviewed - Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:02 pm 

Myst is now starting to drop in the rankings of most downloaded paid iPhone apps.

Down to #12 from the high point of #9.

But probably it'll still end up making a few million dollars in sales. :D

I guess Cyan will release another version, with some bug fixes and a removal of the 150 MB in useless subversion files, which might help ratings and sales.

Whenever sales get really bad, they can always grab attention again by lowering the price. Or adding Rime. ;)

In any case, this has been a good week for Cyan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:05 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm sad that I can't do glissando on the piano :(

Other than that, it's a nice port, most of the tweaks to fit the system work pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:32 am 

So Myst is FINALLY featured in the "new" section of the app store. Thanks a lot Apple for doing it over a week later.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 471 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next