It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cyan, iMyst, and iFund
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 am 

Myst is right now at #23 on the top-paid apps list and #15 on the top paid games list. I really hope it breaks into the top 10 so that the wonderful people at Cyan get the break they deserve.

If it does well, maybe Cyan will consider developing some original games for the iPhone. I read in an interview with Rand some time ago that he is frustrated with getting publishers to take a chance with Cyan's unique ideas for games. Why doesn't Cyan apply for the iFund for iPhone games development and publish games themselves in the app store? I think this might be a new chapter for Cyan Worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:08 am 
Obduction Backer

If they did, it would be sufficient prodding for me to get an iPhone. :oops:

(Oscelot let me play with her iPhone at Mysterium, and it was totally fun, although I was scared I would break it. I mostly made the picture go back and forth a bunch of times, but it was extremely entertaining to Annacats. ;) If I got one, it would be more of a toy than a phone. :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Also it is at #4 now on top paid Adventure games list ! It is awesome how well it's doing I am not surprised it's doing well, I knew it would. . . . . but I guess I am a little surprised at how FAST it is happening! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 5:24 pm 

Myst is at #13 right now and rising, so the situation is looking good.

I too would like to see Cyan develop original iPhone games. Some with new and groundbreaking game design concepts, and some that are fairly similar to Myst and Cyan's traditional style of game design.

The great thing about the iPhone games market is that it's big - there are a lot of people with iPhones - and because of the system's technical limitations, it doesn't take a lot of developers or a lot of money to make a game that's considered a "top-quality" iPhone app.

Can you imagine Cyan making a new Myst-style game for iPhone? They made the original "Myst" for $600,000 so I don't see why they couldn't make a similar game on a similar budget now, one that is Myst-like but which takes advantage of modern computing to render better images. You know, nice textures and shaders, reflections, lots of polygons, radiosity lighting simulation... There are a lot of ways you could make a CG world look more realistic than the original "Myst" without it taking more time and money than it did then, because the computers and software available now are much better than the tools that existed in 1991-1993. Combine great graphics with a few logical, well-designed puzzles, good audio, and a decent story, and I think Cyan will have a winner.

I'm making a Myst-like adventure game for the iPhone too, BTW, and I think it's becoming very clear with the success of Myst on the iPhone that there is a market for adventure games on the platform, at least good ones like Cyan's anyway.

If Cyan is doing well releasing a game for the iPhone, why shouldn't they expand on what's profitable? It makes perfect business sense. Cyan can pitch the idea to whoever funded Myst for the iPhone, saying '"We made money, this was a hit, so let's try to make even more money, by making an iPhone Riven and a brand new iPhone Myst game."

And if $600,000 and 2 years to make an original iPhone game is too much money, you can always make a game 1/2 or 1/3 as large as "Myst" on a $200,000-$300,000 budget and release it at 1/2 to 1/3 the price, as a $1.99 or $2.99 app. This would also allow Cyan to cut the filesize down to around 300 MB, thus avoiding some of the complaints about how much space the Myst app uses up on a 4GB iPhone.

Something small but good quality can work well here.

I hope that something Cyan does makes them enough money that they can have the financial freedom to choose their own projects and make games that are truly original and unlike anything that came before them. I remember those 3 patents Cyan had that were never used in anything, and there are so many ideas Rand has that aren't going anywhere because game publishers aren't brave enough to try new ideas. It's sad.

I'd like to see an open-source Uru and see it become popular enough - hundreds of thousands, even millions of players drawn in initially by the magic word "free" and addicted once they've played for a while, that Cyan can actually make a good profit selling add-on content to those Uru players.

I'd also like to see Cyan someday rerender Riven in higher resolution with some Myst IV-style panoramas, and make it run on all the current operating systems. If they still have all those 3d models stored somewhere, of course.

If they do, this kind of special edition Riven wouldn't cost too much to make, certainly not compared to the much-hoped-for but prohibitively expensive "RealRiven" fans have wanted to see but which would be prohibitively expensive to create.

Anyway, yay, Cyan is making a comeback! Maybe things will get better for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:20 pm 

Is there anyone here with experience in these kinds of games who might be able to gauge how well iMyst is doing? Is this sort of meteoric rise the norm for apps after which they settle to their place in the list or do games/apps typically stay where they are until the next "best app" comes along?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Hooray! This is great! There are certainly many glowing reviews, including some by familiar names. :wink: I am so glad to see this picking up steam. Go, Cyan! :D

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:31 am 

I just check on iMyst in the iTune app store to see how iMyst is doing. The answer is very well. The rating for iMyst 284 out of 329 people gave it 5 stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:44 am 

Great news!!! Go Cyan! Go iMyst.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 am 
Obduction Backer

I wonder.. considering the way hardware's gone up and such, it might actually be the time to introduce a myst-style game of prerendered linked shots together for cheap on a small portable platform. The trick is to have lots of depth and story, something Cyan's good at. (though they've hemoraged a lot of good staff.. hopefully they can get back some and can work with the handful left)

The problem is the artwork involved to make those sort of things in 3d... but rendering etc is a lot easier and quicker nowadays, particularly when you're working for something small like the iphone.

You know, I wonder if this will be the start of something new from Cyan. From computer game developer to MMO attemptee to iphone designer. Fun little well-designed games for the iphone for a decent price and using their years of experience at it.
I mean, Osmo and Manhole and such were straight out fun exploration games, toys to play with. Myst borrowed heavily on that, Riven gave it a deep story, and so on. Now mix that up and throw on a portable system like say said iphone.. and we might see some real fun from them. I hope so, I want to see Cyan show the world just what they can do.

MOULa KI: #00027582 #7425022
100% Authentic Gondar! Accept no substitutes, imitations, or knock-offs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 am 

Number 9 on the top paid apps tonight. Great to see it in the top 10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 pm 

Number 4 top paid apps.

Man, I wish I had an iPod touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:27 am 

To echo Whilyam's question: how often to new apps hit the top ten list, and how often do they stay there? I'm curious to know if iMyst's success is extraordinary or if it's just hitting a peak that most decent apps hit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:04 am 
Obduction Backer

In the Dutch store new apps frequently hit the top 10 but usually drop quite soon. It doesn't happen often that one app stays at #1 for a long period, unless it's a very good and handy app that is used a lot. Myst on the other hand has been at #1 for three days already. Even the just released Need for Speed (now at #6) hasn't beaten Myst yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:34 pm 

Who is seeing it as at #9 or #4? I see it at #10.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
I see it as number 9 on the top paid apps list in itunes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next