It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
Who is seeing it as at #9 or #4? I see it at #10.

It is #9 on the top paid apps overall and #4 on the top paid apps for games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

for overall paid apps it has been kinda bouncing back and forth from 9 to 10 for a couple of days now ;) there have even been times when in the top ten list it's at 9 but when you go into the category it shows at 10 or vice versa . . . so it's apparently on that border ;)

But it has held solid at #1 in paid Adventure games since it got there, hope it stays there a long time! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 am 

Calam wrote:
To echo Whilyam's question: how often to new apps hit the top ten list, and how often do they stay there? I'm curious to know if iMyst's success is extraordinary or if it's just hitting a peak that most decent apps hit?

What's more extraordinary than Myst hitting the top ten is it doing so at six times the cost of all other top ten titles. Or, as Alahmnat put better:
Quote:
Perhaps the most fascinating thing about the game’s popularity is its price point. The App Store has gotten quite a lot of press about its “race to the bottom”-style pricing wars, where just because you can charge more than $0.99 doesn’t mean you necessarily should. In fact, of the Top 10 Paid Apps currently in the US App Store, only Myst is priced higher than $0.99, and the average price of the other Top 25 Paid Apps is only $1.70. At $5.99, Myst is practically a premium application by App Store standards, and is managing to out-sell heavyweights like EA (with Trivial Pursuit, Tetris, and Tiger Woods PGA Tour) and PopCap (with Bejeweled 2), who have their games priced between $2.99 (Bejeweled 2) and $9.99 (Tiger Woods PGA Tour, because someone has to pay the licensing royalties to both Tiger and the PGA Tour, I guess). Given the fact that more expensive apps generally seem to be a turn-off for many buyers, coupled with the fact that at 700MB, Myst is easily the largest app in the App Store several times over, I’m honestly impressed at how well the game is selling.

(Or something.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:18 pm 

For the US store, Myst is no longer #1 in adventure games (it has been replaced by a Top Gun game). It's status in other rankings has shifted down slightly, as well.

In more positive news, math. If the Spokesman Review article is correct, Cyan nets 30% of each sale. Since it is necessary to purchase an app from iTunes before you can rate it, and since Myst has been ranked 581 times, they've earned 581 * (30% of 5.99), or a little OVER ONE THOUSAND, dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:45 pm 

#8 on the Belgian App Store, though it has been at #7 before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:55 am 

quahog42 wrote:
For the US store, Myst is no longer #1 in adventure games (it has been replaced by a Top Gun game). It's status in other rankings has shifted down slightly, as well.

In more positive news, math. If the Spokesman Review article is correct, Cyan nets 30% of each sale. Since it is necessary to purchase an app from iTunes before you can rate it, and since Myst has been ranked 581 times, they've earned 581 * (30% of 5.99), or a little OVER ONE THOUSAND, dollars.

I think they've probably made more than that, considering the fact that not every single person who buys an app will rate it. One thousand dollars isn't very much money considering how long they've been working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:44 pm 

We know Apple gets 30%. We don't know how much (exactly) Cyan gets. But I suppose it's possible that Cyan gets 30% too and Sunsoft 40%. Maybe someone at Cyan can give us the actual figures.

Also, I've posted my own estimations (in another longer thread) and I'm convinced that your 581-buyer figure is absurdly low.
Cyan would not be talking about hiring new employees if they had opening week sales that poor.

My guess is that the total sales volume for this Myst port is quite likely in excess of 75,000 copies sold, and $450,000 in income, in its first week of release. Possibly even as much as $600,000-$800,000.

(This guess comes from number of apps on the App store, volume of downloads of paid apps per day, Myst's ranking, Myst's price, and application of the Pareto Principle for general estimate of percentage of total app downloads which are likely to be Myst given Myst's position in the 30,000-app distribution.)

Prior track records for iPhone apps indicate that apps peak quickly and fade quickly from the spotlight; Myst is already dropping in the rankings to #13 on the U.S. store and is likely to continue falling. But it's made a strong showing regardless and seems to be well-positioned to make at least two million dollars total, maybe a good bit more than that.

Simply put, this Myst port has become a big success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think we should keep in mind that not even Cyan is aware of the app's sales just yet. They won't receive an update from Apple until at least one month after the application's release. All we can do for now is speculate based on the game's position on the popularity charts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:39 pm 

No 16 in Top Paid Apps....... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:45 am 

Calam wrote:
I think they've probably made more than that, considering the fact that not every single person who buys an app will rate it.

matthornb wrote:
Also, I've posted my own estimations (in another longer thread) and I'm convinced that your 581-buyer figure is absurdly low.

Okay… seriously, guys? Brush up on your sarcasm detection skills. The way quahog stressed the "ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS" part should have been a more than obvious clue. :P

(Or something.)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 2:53 am 

Anna Catherine wrote:
If they did, it would be sufficient prodding for me to get an iPhone. :oops:

(Oscelot let me play with her iPhone at Mysterium, and it was totally fun, although I was scared I would break it. I mostly made the picture go back and forth a bunch of times, but it was extremely entertaining to Annacats. ;) If I got one, it would be more of a toy than a phone. :P)

I am not a typical game player. I bought the original Myst when it came out and then never had time to play it because I was busy raising children. I would glance over jealously as my older son played. I've always had Mac computers and ipods. I waited for the 3G to come out before I got an iPhone. I can tell you from personal experience that it is not just a toy, not just a phone, it's a computer and a phone and a lot more. It can do some amazing things, like there is an app that you can take a photo of something you want to remember and file it and then search for it by the words on the object (like the label on a package, etc.) because it reads the words. Or you can add tags. There really is an app for just about everything, like the ads say, and you have it with you all the time.

My daughter and her friends had a horrible experience with two cars getting washed away in a flood. They were walking away and feeling down about the cars but glad nobody was hurt. One of them said "There's not an app for that." For just about anything else, there is. :wink:

(Myst is currently syncing to iphone. I'll be back in a few weeks to report. :D )

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2