It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:44 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

Would you re-buy Myst for your pc on STEAM or GOG?
Definitely, I don't have it and want it on my pc. 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Yes, I already have it for PC, but would buy it again just to have it on steam. 19%  19%  [ 7 ]
No, I already own it for PC 57%  57%  [ 21 ]
No, the iPhone version is enough for me. 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
No, I don't like MYST (then what the fiery abyss are you doing in this forum?). 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

I am really liking Myst for the iPhone, and I finally put myself into trying it thanks to the iPhone after having rejected it for so many years. But now I want the real deal. Everything is just SO SMALL on the iPhone. I am shure this has come up many times before, but now would be the perfect time to put it into services such as Steam or GOG.com. And also all the sequels.

I heard it's on Gametap, but that's USA and Canada only. What about all those European users (like myself) and well, worldwide (iphone-)users who are discovering Myst just now? It's time to act quick now, before they move on.
Look at Telltalegames. They are on Gametap AND on Steam AND they have their own download distribution service and they seem to be doing pretty well. Also games that weren't successful on release are now living a revival through steam like Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks.

-LazyAndroid

PS: While I am at it, I might as well conduct a poll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

GameTap is global now, thanks to their partnership with Metaboli. They don't advertise the fact, but I've heard that European users can now sign up and play games with no issues (well, no region-specific issues... )

I would like to see the games on Steam and GOG as well, though. Particularly realMyst, which never really got its chance to shine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:18 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

You can either look at GameTap as theoretically having global access because Metaboli is global, or you can look at it as few having access, and more quitting daily, because the new, heavily non-functional beta browser client was forced into use in a critically flawed transition plan.

Oh, on topic, Myst can still be made to work on XP fairly easily. Not sure about Vista. For Windows 7, make sure to spend more $$$ to buy a computer with a processor which will support the XP Virtual Machine. :P Not sure about native support there either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

I don't want Myst for my desktop computer. Think of the size of the renders (smaller than 640x480) and than think of the resolutions of those big monitors we have nowadays. Myst would look horrible. The advantage of Myst on the iPhone is that the graphics look so well because the screen (and its resolution) is so small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:18 pm 

Unless you're playing RealMyst, which looks great on a PC screen.

Seriously, though, getting all the Myst games to run smoothly on Vista and Mac OS X would be awesome, ideally with higher resolution graphics and more realism/detail/immersion where most needed (within financial limitations of course).

As for the iPhone screen, I know, it's tiny and that means that people like me who are trying to create a photoreal virtual world on the iPhone have the advantage of the iPhone's limited resolution to hide some of the imperfections of our work.

I'm a big proponent of a higher-resolution, panoramic Riven, but I know that if it's done, even though it'll be a more immersive interface, in some ways the game won't look quite as photoreal, because the 3d-modelled world will be subject to greater scrutiny. We'll be able to see little texture glitches and such which we couldn't notice before.

The book "From Myst to Riven" offers some beautiful hi-res renders of Riven. They're gorgeous to look at, but if you observe them carefully, they seem a bit synthetic. They look like CG art, really good CG art, but CG nonetheless. They don't feel completely real the way the original game's 640X480 renders did.

But in 800x600 resolution or so, I think Riven would still hold up as photoreal. 800x600/1024x768 Riven with 360-degree panoramas would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:52 am 

While I might not get Myst on Steam (only because I don't use Steam beyond what I did a while ago to try Portal out), I do think Cyan should be getting Myst and its other games out to the new distribution sites. It would be a (relatively) cheap way of bringing Myst and Cyan back to the gaming forefront. Good sales of old titles could be used when in negotiations with publishers over new game concepts, or certainly couldn't hurt.

As for quality, I'm not so sure people would dismiss it. Certainly, Myst is always going to be fairly poor graphical quality compared to newer games (until Cyan has the ability/desire to upgrade Myst) however I didn't hear people complaining about realMYST's quality, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:15 am 

Myst for vista seems to run fine. I have the original CD. Some of you also seem to be forgetting that you can get the Myst 10th anniversary set for $20 onAmazon. I always prefer the comfort of owning a physical CD that won't dissapear as a result of a hard drive wipe or backwards legal technicality anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
GameTap is global now, thanks to their partnership with Metaboli. They don't advertise the fact, but I've heard that European users can now sign up and play games with no issues (well, no region-specific issues... )

Confirmed Gametap is all working for us :) Well, full gametap for 8E > Half metaboli for 10 Euros :lol:

To get back on the topic, i already own myst, and i don't go near steam unsless the offer is really really intersing.

For the record, myst masterpice is seven proof ;) Well, expect maybe for the sound, my pc's so old it don't have seven sound driver :?

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:15 am 

Sensei wrote:
Myst for vista seems to run fine. I have the original CD. Some of you also seem to be forgetting that you can get the Myst 10th anniversary set for $20 onAmazon. I always prefer the comfort of owning a physical CD that won't dissapear as a result of a hard drive wipe or backwards legal technicality anyway.

That set is a real pain to get to work though. The box says they work on XP but after SP2 came out it really destroyed them. Myst masterpiece is especially difficult to get to work. It's some problem with Quicktime associations and when you place like Quicktime 4 files in their folders it works, but this only fully solved the problem for Riven. Funnily enough, my original '93 Myst version works the best. And to answer the question, I would buy Myst and Riven all over again if they were tweaked to work on XP, Vista, and 7. Plus the ability to download them anywhere (Steam allows you to) and not use a cd/dvd to play is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:04 pm 

I would absolutely purchase Myst and Riven for the desktop computer again. My old copies were destroyed in a move and I haven't really been motivated to replace them until I grabbed the game for my iPhone. However, if it was to be released for the desktop again, I would prefer to purchase it the same way I did back in the 90's: by owning the physical CD that isn't piggy-backed onto some "content delivery" system like STEAM. Not a big fan of STEAM or any other vehicle used in a similar manner.

Windows would be nice, but what about all us Mac users? Updating the code to work on the modern versions of Windows would require a complete rewrite, methinks. So, any desktop version is going to require a lot of work, and I understand development time and budgets and all that errata, but I know I and a bunch of other Apple fanboys/girls would be thrilled at a native version that we could play on.

Otherwise, I guess it's the Boot Camp/Parallels route. You know, I think I still have some Windows 95 installation CDs laying about somewhere. ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:37 am 

If it was a updated version of Myst? Sure they would have my money again; But you know what? Myst on the iTouch/Phone is just about as great in my book as having it on PC.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]