It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:24 pm 

@DEMON212 … it is not surprising you’re confused. I think vidkid7’s description of the games and the follow ups are the best I’ve seen. Short and concise... well ... considering it's Myst.

All the complication is from the real life drama of being a gaming company and having a dream of what computer games could be. Cyan was pushing technology with Myst and again with Ages Beyond Myst. ABM was more than Cyan could handle and turned to outside help and financing. Several of the other games were done with outside partners too. All those contracts complicate what Cyan can do and how they can release games.

One of the additional complications is the Alpha and Beta testing stages of ABM in which other names were used. Often people refer to those too, i.e., Mud Pie and Prologue. I’m not certain there are not more. To the new they can sound like separate games.

Life complicates things over time… So, the answer to you ‘Why’ is really, it seemed like the thing to do at the time. Now it makes no sense unless you consider Myst’s history.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Looks like you already got your questions answered, but I see a lot of wordy posts in here, so here's my short version:

The Main Game Series:

1. Myst (iPhone version is great)
2. Riven: The Sequel to Myst
3. Myst III: Exile

Those 3 often come in a set. This is the set I have, and it's not a bad deal even if your copy of the first Myst is redundant. (shop around for prices, since that 10th Anniversary 3-pack isn't super-rare, you should be able to get a decent price on it)

4. Myst IV: Revelation
5. Myst V: End of Ages

To me it looks like if you shop around eBay stores, you can get these cheaper separate than together, since the bundle versions are rarer. (Using the "IV" and "V" seems to bring up better results than searching for "Myst 4" and "Myst 5"...)

Optional things:

The Myst Reader (Book)

A set of 3 books, bundled together. You can probably find these on Amazon, some regular bookstores still have them around sometimes too. Recommended because they add a lot of depth to the story of the series.

URU series (Spin-off games)

Personally, if I were you, I would skip Uru entirely for now. Don't let anybody confuse you: Uru Live (the online game) is not currently available in any form. If you wanted to get the real Uru experience, I suggest waiting for it to come online again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:58 pm 

Hi, I'm autistic too. :)

The Myst series is my favorite series of games.

As for Uru, I don't see the realtime 3d as a problem at all. It makes it more immersive, I think. I personally really like Uru and think it's an amazing game.

The first form of Uru was Uru: Ages Beyond Myst as a standalone game in 2003, with a variety of worlds and locations,
plus a short-lived online extension, Uru Live, which publisher Ubisoft cancelled because there weren't enough players using the online part of the game for it to be profitable.

I think that had a lot to do with the ahead-of-the-curve system requirements; I know people who passed on Uru when it first came out because they couldn't run it, or even if they could, they didn't have broadband internet.

The Uru Live content was repackaged/redeveloped into an expansion pack, "To D'ni".

This was followed by another expansion pack, "Path of the Shell".

Then (around 2007) Uru was reopened as an online game with Gametap, during which time even more worlds were added.

That lasted a little over a year before it was cancelled.

Now Cyan intends to reopen the game as a free open source MMO, as well as the tools/engine/plugins Cyan has been using to make the game. This will allow Myst players - at least those good at 3d art - to add their own content to the game.

So, we may end up with $30+ million worth of developed content, with more worlds than any other Myst game, with puzzles, etc, in a realtime 3d multiplayer setting, plus the capacity for us to add our own worlds on top of that, for free.

It's promising but it hasn't happened yet. However, now that the iPhone version of Myst has become a hit, Cyan is in a good position to work on reopening Uru.

I also advise starting with the other Myst games, and waiting on Uru until the open source version shows up.

My takes on the Myst games you haven't played:

RealMyst: The original "Myst" in dynamic realtime 3d, with a small extra age tacked onto the end. There's something wonderful in the design of Myst, from the worlds to the puzzles to the sound and the story. This game makes it feel more real, I think, than the other versions. I love "classic" Myst, and the iPhone version is better still, but this version is my favorite. It makes Myst real in a way it never could be on the iPhone platform.

Riven: Brilliant game, great story, superb art that was the best CG possible in 1997, puzzles that feel seamlessly integrated into the world. The interface is like Myst's, it's 640x480 slideshow basically. That's the main weakness of the game; otherwise it's a masterpiece. Compelling sound design and haunting, beautiful music.

Myst 3: Exile: Great game in most respects, strong storyline with interesting antagonist, generally good visuals, panoramic interface but still a pretty low-resolution one. Good puzzles. Jack Wall's orchestral score is amazing.

Myst IV: Revelation: Fantastic graphics, higher-resolution panoramic interface and worlds absolutely loaded with detail. Story and acting are a mess and are the primary weakness of the game. Puzzles are good but the timed ones drove some of us nuts. Sound design is good but the music is so-so. Game had the potential for greatness but didn't quite make it.

Myst V: End of Ages: Made between the Uru expansion packs and Gametap's Myst Online: Uru Live. Realtime 3d like Uru.
Art is a mixed bag, some parts look great and some are pretty disappointing. Puzzles are clever. Sound design good generally but unremarkable. Story is limited, and more "Uru" than Myst, but fairly good. It's good, but not as good as it should have been.

Simply put, this is a great series of games. There are flaws in them, of course, but I can't think of a single Myst game I wouldn't recommend.

Just my thoughts on this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Unless there's some way Riven can be redesigned and broken up into (say) five smaller, episodic but self-contained games (rather than broken up geographically as on the original CD release), I don't see how you can do Riven on the iPod/iPhone -- it's just too blasted big. Myst had to be crowbarred in as it was.

I initiated (and haven't really come back to yet) a discussion elsewhere about a Myst/Uru casual browser game. At least some of the ideas we came up with could also be used for an iPhone game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:54 pm 

The stranger wrote:
wow, that's strange. I'm sure it has nothing to do with books, though.

I know, it's just one of those things where I don't want to risk it, lol.

Leviathan019 wrote:
If you're interested in getting the Myst games to run on Vista, then you would be very interested in this thread over at mystcommunity.com. It has instructions on what to do to get the Myst games running, most of which has to do with copying QuickTime files.

Specifically, if you want to get Riven to run, you should try downloading and running the 1.02 Patch here. I can't verify if this will work, as I haven't tried it.

But if it doesn't, then you can come back here and ask for more help.

Also, Myst V has a problem in Vista that is caused by files missing or not installed. You can download it here.

I'd say the Myst games are definitely worth playing, I think they're amazing!

And with everyone talking about Uru, and how great it was, I need to get the game and start playing that, too.

By the way, if you're wondering where to buy the games, Amazon usually always has them in stock somewhere, whether through their stock, or someone selling theirs through the Amazon store.

Hope I've helped, good luck!

Cheers for the help mate, I appreciate it. I'm hopefully getting them real soon, unfortunatly I had a sinus headache that kept me up all night and I slept through the last auction end on e-Bay, so I'm trying again tonight. I'm going with them because while I am loving Myst 1 and want the rest, I'm not prepared to pay what the people are asking for on Amazon or Play. Because they themselves don't have it and the prices that the Z-Sellers have listed them for are just stupid.

matthornb wrote:
Hi, I'm autistic too. :)

Cool, my lil bro is as well and funnily enough, he's called Matt :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:26 pm 

YES!

I got them :D

I can't wait to both play them and then review them (Review classic games on youtube).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:56 pm 

Right then, I totally understand if this needs to be moved to another subject, but basically...

I install Myst ME and get sound but no picture.

I install Riven and it just doesn't run because it needs me to install an older quick time which then crashes and exits the installer. Even after doing the patches it presents me with this problem :(

Myst III Works.

After and EXTREMELY long install, Myst IV works.

And Myst V brings up some crap about...

Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):

And then a load of code.

And therefore doesn't load. Even after putting those files things in :(

You know what I'm thinking? Dual operation systems. 'cause I'm building a P.C at the end of the year and my brother says that it's very easy to get XP and Vista on the same machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:10 pm 

Try this for Riven: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq8qTWKxChA

As for Myst MM, http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/index ... opic=14453 . But why would you play Myst MM? you already played iPhone Myst, which is mostly the same and even better than MM. If you wanna play Myst again, play realMyst, the realtime 3D Myst. It's better, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:25 pm 

The stranger wrote:

As for Myst MM, http://forums.guildofgreeters.com/index ... opic=14453 . But why would you play Myst MM? you already played iPhone Myst, which is mostly the same and even better than MM. If you wanna play Myst again, play realMyst, the realtime 3D Myst. It's better, IMO.

As I said above, it's simply for review purposes, 'cause I can't video review the iPod one :(

I still haven't beaten Myst yet so it's not urgent that I get them working (Biggest downside to the iPod one, battery level sucks, kind of another reason to play the P.C one, I'd just redo everything I've done so far and then that way I wouldn't have to quit playing when I ran out of power).

So as I've just done a defrag and everything, before I go doing everything again, I'll beat the iPod version and then try and figure this out :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

DEMON212 wrote:
The stranger wrote:

As I said above, it's simply for review purposes, 'cause I can't video review the iPod one :(

I still haven't beaten Myst yet so it's not urgent that I get them working (Biggest downside to the iPod one, battery level sucks, kind of another reason to play the P.C one, I'd just redo everything I've done so far and then that way I wouldn't have to quit playing when I ran out of power).

So as I've just done a defrag and everything, before I go doing everything again, I'll beat the iPod version and then try and figure this out :)

DEMON, I often plug mine into the USB of my Laptop and play without using up my battery if I know I want to play a while :lol: . . . with most games the battery level does drain faster than with music But I have to admit the battery in My iPod touch lasts longer than I had expected! The Nano was really short lived!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:30 pm 

DEMON212 wrote:
I install Myst ME and get sound but no picture.

For Myst ME (and possibly your other problems), I'd say look again at this thread.

DEMON212 wrote:
I install Riven and it just doesn't run because it needs me to install an older quick time which then crashes and exits the installer. Even after doing the patches it presents me with this problem .

Hopefully, the patch I linked to would copy the QuickTime files Riven needs into the Riven program folder. You don't need to run the QuickTime installer that came with Riven, you just need those files, and the game will work with the latest version of QuickTime.

If the patch I linked to fails in copying those files, then the files would hopefully be included with the patch for you to copy manually. See the thread I linked to above to figure out which files you need.

DEMON212 wrote:
And Myst V brings up some crap about...

Exception type: Access violation
Call stack (14 levels):

And then a load of code.

And therefore doesn't load. Even after putting those files things in

That's the error code I got when I installed Myst V on Vista. The problem for me was caused by missing init files that weren't installed. But Chogon's patch should have fixed that for you. If you did everything as outlined in the ReadMe file that came with the patch, and it still doesn't work, then google the code to find out if it's the same problem.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2