It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:50 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Myst sequels coming?
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 am 

I've been interested in Myst for years but never had the chance to get it, now I've bought the iPod Touch version because it's supposed to be the ultimate version (No idea if it is, as I say, never had it) and I'm enjoying it, quite a bit actually.

But now I'm in a quandry, are the sequels coming to the iPhone/iTouch or have a wasted £3.50? (Because then I've gotta buy the 5 P.C games collection which when I already have Myst 1, it seems kinda stupid and money wasteful).

Because again knowing nothing about them I don't know if the iDevices are powerful enough to handle them, so what I'm asking is, does anyone here (Either in the know or just knowledgable about specs and Myst and iDevices and etc...) have any idea whether or not the 4 sequels will one day appear on the iDevices or not?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask and is therefore considered spam, but every topic I tried to just reply to about it, I was told that only moderators could post. Because the first and most obvious place I tried, was the officiall anouncement post of Myst 1 on the iDevices.

P.S Before anyone asks, I got the iTouch because not only did I have well over a year left on my current phone contract, but I bought it as a gaming device and sometimes, you just don't want to have you phone on. So what use is a gaming device that sometimes, you just don't want on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:55 am 

They may come, and we know Cyan Worlds is thinking about doing Riven (the sequel) to the iPhone, however it will be EXTREMLY hard (not to talk about exile or revelation). Personally, I hope we see more new games and little ports, because I don't think Cyan Worlds can live on ports.

You can purchase the games if you want, not in a collection. Riven may need some work to get it working on XP/Vista, but it IS possible. Exile and Revelation should work fine (and also End of Ages, but I don't really like this game. Still, try it).

There's also Uru Live, some sort of online multiplayer co-op myst game. You get to explore worlds, and invite people there to explore with you, if you want. Really fun. And, there should be fan-made content. There's the singleplayer game, but it's not as fun as the multiplayer. Anyway, the multiplayer isn't up yet. Should be soon, after they release the source code. I recommend playing all the Myst game. By the time you finish, Uru Live may be out already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:38 pm 

@DEMON212, well obvioulsy you get from The Stranger there are sequels but not ready for the iPhone. These games were all written before the iPhone/iPod Touch.

It seems to have taken about a year to port Myst to iPhone. Some of the Myst series games could be ported somewhat as Myst was. Some are going to be more complex. Ages Beyond Myst is a 3D environment and the local machine is rendering the screen image not just displaying canned pictures. You can rotate the camera and see the world as you do in real life. It gives a more fun play environment but requires much more from the local machine. The rendering and game engine that runs the game is quite different. So, it is a more complex port. We have no information on whether Cyan will attempt it or if it is even possible, at least AFAIK.

Not only are there some technical challenges, there are some legal ones too. Ubisoft is a partner with Cyan in Ages Beyond Myst (ABM). So, getting it to the iPhone/iPod is a contractual mix of things too. That mean it takes time.

On the other hand new technology is bringing EVE, WoW and others to a cell phone near you. Cyan may be able to use that tech.

Plus there is a huge effort to make more and more virtual worlds work in common browsers. I suspect cell phone browsers will improve and add features so that more of these games will work in phones like iPhone.

The big question is whether the stand alone games can work in an iPod Touch any time soon. The multi-player games are not likely to. What would the point be?

Much of the fan effort is in getting ready for the opening of Myst Online Open Source, which if you don't know is a multi-player online game previously called Uru Live. Because of copyrights some Myst games are not likely to appear in the open source game. However, experience in Second Life has shown fans tend to build knock-offs and look-a-likes. I'm not at all sure that will happen in the open source version. But I would not bet against it either. I am sure there will be Myst Style additions to the open source version with ... similarities... to other Myst games. I suspect open source Myst will be where we get our next fix of Myst gaming.

Whatever the case you will likely learn which things are going to happen and when by hanging out here. Plus if you decide to play the games on a Mac or PC there is lots of help here.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:21 pm 

Cheers for the help guys, looks like I'll P.C buy them. I'll just look at the iPod one as a rental, lol. Plus it's supposed to be the best version of 1, so I suppose I'd have needed it for the collection anyway.

And yeah, that help will be much appreciated as I do have Vista. And I've been having a pain getting certain games to run. There's 3 that I just can't get working but the rest have had patches.

Not sure about getting the online ones though, as I've never been a fan of online gaming, it's more work than it's worth. Setting up playing with mates, then playing for a set amount of time and etc... I just get sick. I spent an entire day trying to play Left 4 Dead online with mates and I got 10 minutes of gameplay in.

So when I can find the collection for a reasonable price, I'll be back :)

Although, there is one final thing, is the Japanese 3 pack just the Japanese versions of Myst 1-3? Or are they different games? And if so, do they have an english option and will they even work on a U.K Laptop?

David.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 10:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Demon212, the online version of Uru is basically the same as the offline single player game, except that you can get help with puzzles from your friends or just invite them to see that you solved the age! There are a few puzzles that require help but there are usually people to help you even if they are not on your friends list. I remember thinking I do do online games too. but Uru was so different it changed that. . . . I have come to love it and miss it a lot. I think you might too if you love the Myst series of games. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:08 pm 

Uru Live is very different from any other online game. That's a common misunderstand which takes out people from uru before they try it. It's not the "slash-n-smash" style of WoW, or the quick action style of L4D or such. You can explore the game alone, and invite friends to explore with you and solve puzzles. It's a lot of fun exploring the world with friends, mostly when you discover new things.

Well, it's your choise, have fun either way.

(to not-new forum members: you know, I found out lot's of people signing up to the Uru Live forums, and have 0 interest in Uru Live. Kind of disappointing, actually, but considering the iPhone Myst forum is also here, I can't complain :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I too bought Myst for the iTouch. It is a very faithful version of the original, and I have enjoyed playing it..

I still think that the ultimate way to play the first Myst game is to play RealMyst. It was Cyan's 3D version of the original game. It might be a little hard to come by, even on Ebay. I think it is still available on Gametap, but I haven't logged on for the longest time.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:45 am 
Obduction Backer

I agree Chuckles Real Myst is wonderful, I have that one too, even several years ago when I bought mine they were hard to come by and when you find one they are often pricey. . .but worth every penny! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:56 am 

So hang on, I think I'm sold on this Uru game, but in searching for it, there's 3? So there's actually 8 Myst games?

Then why the heck don't they come with the Myst collection?

And while I have found an Uru collection, there's no Uru Live, just...

Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
The Path of the Shell
To D'Ni

Or am I just being dumb and Uru Live is as standard with the Uru games?

I'm really getting lost with all of this XD

What couldn't Cyan just have made a box with everything and called it "The idiots guide to Myst?" XD Or "the complete n00b's collection" XD

'cause this is what I'm looking at. Only I'd be waiting until I could afford them or the price drops.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0302390419

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MYST-URU-AGES-COM ... 1|294%3A50

It's annoying because being Autistic (aspergers to be fair) puzzle games like this are my ultimate game. Because I've always been great at logic and skill puzzles and things like that :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:36 am 

Uru is a spinoff. It's set in the same world as the Myst games (D'ni, linking books and all), and have the same gameplay (exploration and puzzles) and great story. However, it isn't about Atrus and his family anymore, and the story is set over 100 years after Myst.

The games you found are the singleplayer Uru. You can buy them, but as I said before, all of them are in Uru Live, which should be free (the multiplayer co-op game). So, play the other Myst games, and by the time you are done, Uru Live will probably be released already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:57 am 
Obduction Backer

It's very complicated... as you know, there are the five Myst games...

Myst and it's fully 3D remake, realMYST
Riven
Myst III: Exile
Myst IV: Revelation
Myst V: End of Ages.

There's also three Myst novels...
Myst: The Book of Atrus
Myst: The Book of Ti'ana
Myst: The Book of D'ni

But when Uru comes into the equation, things get complicated...

Sometime after Exile released but before Revelation, Cyan released the game "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst" which was the originally offline version of Uru. It also included everything you needed to get started in the short-lived online game Uru Live. But Ubisoft pulled the funding for Uru Live and the online component was shut down... in an effort to make most of the online only content available to players, Cyan released a free expansion pack for Uru: Ages Beyond Myst called "To D'ni". A few months later, they reworked the content that was in the pipeline for future online releases into a second (non-free) expansion pack called "The Path of the Shell"... and then just in case things hadn't gotten confusing enough to explain, they then made it possible for fans to run private servers to play Uru Live again, with the understanding that the game wouldn't have updates, and that it would only exist as long as players chose to maintain it. This was called "Until Uru".

In 2004, Ubisoft released Myst IV: Revelation. In my personal opinion, it's worth a play, but it's easily the weakest of the Myst games. Afterwards, Cyan used some of the remaining concepts they had produced for Uru Live to make the fifth and final Myst game, Myst V: End of Ages. Myst V was very different from the previous four Myst games, in that the story was more focused on bringing closure to the events in the Uru games rather than continuing the story of Myst.

At the end of 2006, Cyan partnered with GameTap to bring Uru back to life under the title "Myst Online: Uru Live". MO:UL was another shot at the fully online Uru experience, planned to have consistent updates, an ongoing storyline, and lots of character interaction. Unfortunately, due to severe budget constraints, the updates were sporadic, the storyline was next to non-existant, and every month the character interaction became less and less. In April 2008, Myst Online: Uru Live shut down for good. Or so it seemed...

A few months later, and Cyan announced plans to breathe life into Uru yet again with "Myst Online: Restoration Experiment", which would have been similar to Until Uru... a way for fans to play online together again, but with no promise of updates unless things got much better for Cyan in the future. After several months of waiting, MORE was put on indefinite hold, and then eventually it was announced that Uru would be going open source, totally opening everything up to the fans for content creation and maintenance. And that's where we are now... waiting for Cyan to release the source code for Uru so we can join together online again.

A key thing to understand is that the Myst games and Uru are very different. The Myst games largely take place far in the past and have you playing the role of another person who experienced those historical events. Uru takes place in present day, and you play as yourself... you're no longer taking control of someone else exploring these fantastic worlds, but rather, you yourself are making the journey.

Here's a condensed release list, and then a chronological timeline...

Myst
Riven
realMYST
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst/Uru Live (Uru Live now defunct)
Uru: To D'ni (Expansion Pack 1)
Uru: The Path of the Shell (Expansion Pack 2)
Until Uru (Now defunct)
Myst V: End of Ages
Myst Online: Uru Live (Now defunct)
Myst Online: Restoration Experiment (Indefiniate Hiatus)
Uru: Open Source (Coming... one day. Eventually.)

Now... for the chronological order of events.

200+ Years Ago:
Myst/realMYST
Riven

Modern Day:
Uru: Ages Beyond Myst/Uru Live (Late 2003/Early 2004)
Uru: To D'ni/Uru: The Path of the Shell (2004)
Myst V: End of Ages (2005)
Myst Online: Uru Live (Dec 2006 - Apr 2008)

If you REALLY want to complicate things there's further details, but that's the (very complicated) basics. Welcome to Myst and Uru, it's been a BUMPY RIDE!

Addendum: Here's a recap of MOST (not all!) of the events that happened over the course of Uru... heads up, it's a big read.
http://www.drcsite.org/forums/viewtopic ... 8826f7c211

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:01 am 

Aha, that's where I was going wrong.

Because you were all saying how great live was so that then when I couldn't find it, I was lost, I didn't realise that it was a free online thing that doesn't exist anymore but wil do again one day. I obviously missed that last time :)

So now I know to wait for the Uru stuff and just to get the collection :D

I wish I could get the novels but I kinda can't read. Not for illiterate purposes, because I am typing here so it's obvious that I can read and write, but more a case of, the last 5 books I've read have co-incided with major family problems. Including death, almost death (Twice), massive surgery needed (Twice) and before that more things from more books.

So I've seriously stopped reading books, I'm terrified that something else bad will happen. Part of me knows it's not my fault, but the other part of me doesn't want to risk losing another family member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 am 

wow, that's strange. I'm sure it has nothing to do with books, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:14 am 

Wow, this stuff does sound complicated. It sounds to me like most people who have played Uru think that the series revolves around it. Having never played Uru, I think the series revolves entirely around Myst. But that's just me.

vidkid7 wrote:
In 2004, Ubisoft released Myst IV: Revelation. In my personal opinion, it's worth a play, but it's easily the weakest of the Myst games.

On the contrary, in my opinion Myst IV was one of the best, albeit possibly the hardest, of the Myst games, next to Riven. Story-line, not so amazing, but gameplay and visuals were great! (Except for that whole ordeal with the timing puzzles not working so well)

vidkid7 wrote:
Afterwards, Cyan used some of the remaining concepts they had produced for Uru Live to make the fifth and final Myst game, Myst V: End of Ages. Myst V was very different from the previous four Myst games, in that the story was more focused on bringing closure to the events in the Uru games rather than continuing the story of Myst.

This is what I would consider the weakest of the Myst games, in everyone way. But is the fact that the story in EoA was intended to bring a close to Uru the reason I didn't follow the story at all?

But back on topic with:

DEMON212 wrote:
And yeah, that help will be much appreciated as I do have Vista. And I've been having a pain getting certain games to run. There's 3 that I just can't get working but the rest have had patches.

If you're interested in getting the Myst games to run on Vista, then you would be very interested in this thread over at mystcommunity.com. It has instructions on what to do to get the Myst games running, most of which has to do with copying QuickTime files.

Specifically, if you want to get Riven to run, you should try downloading and running the 1.02 Patch here. I can't verify if this will work, as I haven't tried it.

But if it doesn't, then you can come back here and ask for more help.

Also, Myst V has a problem in Vista that is caused by files missing or not installed. You can download it here.

I'd say the Myst games are definitely worth playing, I think they're amazing!

And with everyone talking about Uru, and how great it was, I need to get the game and start playing that, too.

By the way, if you're wondering where to buy the games, Amazon usually always has them in stock somewhere, whether through their stock, or someone selling theirs through the Amazon store.

Hope I've helped, good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:53 pm 

At first, Uru may seem very unfun for the regular Myst player: people found D'ni, there are new methods of linking, and the whole interface is 3D realtime (nothing wrong with that, but some don't like the change). However, if you don't care for the tiny details, and like good puzzles and exploration, you will have fun. People finding D'ni is a very good part of the story- it's sort of like a mix of the D'ni fantasy world and the real world, and I personally find that very interesting, as you can also connect yourself with the characters and some objects you see: they are not all alien, you may know some from your street or whatever, and you can feel the game is more real that way. The new methods of linking are not very important, because it's linking one way or another, so it doesn't matter (although I think it will be nice if it will be changed in open source uru- if it bothers you, suggesting that to the designers among us -and there are some- will be the best solution). The 3D realtime is great- you can walk anywhere you want, push stuff, everything. And of course, the online is great- you can explore the world any way you want, share your journey with your friends- or do it alone, and you can also share your discoveries with friends.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next