It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:39 pm 

Thought it would be a good time to get in the mood for Halloween.

There are a lot of really talented people out there, and I would love to read your scary stories.

Here is mine. Not really scary unless it is you standing on those steps......

I am alone.
I am not afraid, standing here under the stars marvelling at their brilliance, their beauty. The cool night air on my face.
It is our piece of Australia. Our home. Secluded.

I go inside, closing the door behind me. Waiting for my husband to come home. He will be late. Out at footy training. I look forward to a quiet night, no interuptions from telephones. Ours is not connected yet.
I hear a noise at the back door. Our dog wanting to come inside. I grab the handle to open the door.

'Danger - Danger' The words fill my head. The pressure unbearable. Staggering back, I hit the wall stunning myself. With my head in my hands, I try to comprehend what is happening. A feeling of absolute dread fills me. The door. With absolute certainty I know that it is not the dog at the door. Waiting to come inside. Waiting.

Trying to run, terror numbing my senses, I remember the open windows, the unlocked door. Cursing myself for being so weak, for not being able to protect myself. Wishing I had a weapon. I wait in the dark.

Voices. A woman laughing. Our only neighbours, their house set back from the road. The woman is walking to her car parked on the side of the road in the dark. I run to the window. Looking out, I see a man bent over, running to the back of her car. She hasn't seen him. I run to the door, throwing it open, intent on warning her of the danger. But I am too late, he is too close. She sees him at last and screams, terror filling her voice. Two men run out from the house, yelling. The man sees them and hestitates, not as confident now.
The man turns and runs. He sees me standing on the steps, under the light. He stops. For the first time I can see him clearly. He is dressed in black. His eyes stare into mine, unblinking. I can not breathe. I can not move. The moment burnt into my memory forever.
Finally, he runs, heading for the thick scrub that surrounds our properties. He has gone.

I no longer stand there under the stars, marvellling at their briliance, their beauty. The cool night air on my face.
I no longer feel safe.
I am alone.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]