It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hurricane Ike
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:35 pm 

Hi all, I'll be offline for however long the power goes out in my house. :roll:

As you probably noticed, Hurricane Ike is heading for a direct hit on Houston, Texas, the world's sixth most trafficked port, the fourth-largest city in the United States, and refining/processing center for around 50% of the oil in the United States - and incidentally, my hometown. As for Galveston, the situation is dire and large swaths of the town may soon be in ruins.

Thank God this is only a Category 2 and not a 3 or 4 as some people were predicting. Ike is currently moving at 110 mph.
It could possibly be a low Category 3 by the time it hits. It is over 200 miles wide.

Gas prices in the U.S. are expected to spike soon, if they haven't started to already. Over a million people have evacuated so far, but horrid memories of the hurricane Rita evacuation have left many people (including my family) choosing to stay put and tough it out.

Wind is starting to pick up where I am, the storm hasn't hit yet but it should be pretty bad in a few hours. Our house is a pretty sturdy brick structure and should hold up okay since we're a few miles inland.

In Galveston, storm surges have already passed over the seawall and that's just at the edge of the storm. Some people are suggesting that the eye of Hurricane Ike may actually cross over downtown Houston. :shock: Some people are discussing the possibility of 50-foot waves, and tornadoes being spawned inside the hurricane.

Needless to say, this is not a case of "I like Ike".

Will see you guys later, I guess...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:39 am 

Matthornb,
All the best. I hope that you and your family come out of the Hurricane ok, it must very scary to be in the middle of a hurricane seeing what damage the hurricanes can do. Tonight I saw what was happening with Ike on the news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:24 pm 

At least you aren't being like these guys who are probably going to die :(

Well, hopefully not, but Galveston, TX is an island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 am 

It reached the Midwest as a category 1, I'm to understand.

Pretty amazing. Nothing more than 70mph winds and most of the state has been hit rather bad.

...my power has been knocked out for almost two and a half days, although there are still hundreds of thousands of people statewide without power.

~Joey Zoonishii

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 am 

I'm in Pasadena wich was beat up pretty bad. Power has been restored here at my job today, but as for residential areas...well, who knows? It's been a madhouse I tell you. Luckily my family got out with no problems, but others weren't so lucky. We chose to stay behind after the Rita affair (which was terrible), and stayed up all night watching the storm which was AMAZING. Anyhow, for now the chaos continues...Thank Yahvo for this nice weather we're having :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:36 am 

Who knew a hurricane in Texas would wreck havoc in Ohio. We have places still with out power but we at least don't have flooding or as much damage as those in the south. I wish you all well. 2 and a half days without power seemed like alot, But, I know that was really nothing compared to what Texas is going through. God Bless you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:15 pm 

Columbus, Ohio got hit pretty hard. I was told it was the equivalent of an F-1 tornado that stayed in the same place for hours.....I could hear booming sounds all around which were trees and branches snapping - I have never seen wind gusts like that, ever. I consider myself very lucky to have only lost power for 5 hours and internet/cable for 5 days and no damage to the house or yard. Folks across the street from me were totally out for 5 days and today I ran into a gentleman down the street at a cafe I go to who says he is still out and they are not expected to restore power until Monday. (I think they are still saying 120,000 are still without power) Pretty much all of our traffic lights were out, though most are back in service or sorta service. Kudos to the power and cable folk! They worked so hard to get things back up and running as fast as they could in the circumstances - most of our power crews had been sent to Texas so they brought folk in from Virginia for us. Couple of folks got killed by going outside and got hit with branches or a tree fell on their car. Pretty astonishing what Mother Nature can produce and I know what we got was very, very light compared to what Texas got. It was totally unexpected, though, usually with these things we get rain a small bit of wind and it's gone. People were great though, lot helping each other out and cleaning up or running extension cords across the street so people could keep their fridges running.

SL:
DMom2K Darwin

Currently residing in Guild Wars2 with DudeDad and trying to play Watch Dogs
Citizen of the Metaverse and oh, yeah, The Dude abides....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:21 am 

We got hit hard with Gustav and then scraped by Ike. Things are still a little crazy here in town, but slowly getting back to normal. My prayers and thoughts with all those who have gone through the worst of it.

We only just got cable the other day, but my cable internet still isn't working. I'm lucky to have a few moments of wireless while I'm capable of getting it. So, in case I you don't hear from me.......