It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Myst and Disney
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:56 am 

Look what I discovered on the Wikipedia entry for Disney's Discovery Island...

"Discovery Island is an 11½-acre island in Bay Lake at Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. It opened as "Treasure Island" on April 8, 1974, as a place to observe wildlife. It closed to the public on April 8, 1999, but continued to operate until July 9, 1999, at which point all of its animals had been relocated to new homes at Disney's Animal Kingdom (whose Safari Village hub area was renamed Discovery Island) and other zoos. From the early 1900s, the island was known as Raz Island, named after the family that lived there.

In the late 1930s, it was purchased for $800 by a man named Delmar "Radio Nick" Nicholson, who renamed the island "Idle Bay Isle" and lived there for 20 years with his wife and pet crane. It was later sold, renamed "Riles Island," and used as a hunting retreat. Disney bought the island in 1965 as part of its secretive property acquisitions before building Walt Disney World Resort.[1]

After its closing, Disney considered teaming up with the makers of the Myst video game to create a cutting-edge interactive experience to be called "Myst Island". Guests to the island would explore unusual locations and unravel a mystery about the island's previous inhabitants. This unusual attraction never got beyond the concept stage.[2]

The island's facilities were the home of the last known dusky seaside sparrow before it died in 1987. The species was declared extinct in 1990. The island remains closed to the public. It can easily be seen from Disney's Contemporary Resort and from Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, as well as from boat trips between them. The island is adjacent to Disney's River Country water park, which is also closed."

here is the URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Island_(Florida)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Very interesting... I knew that one of the designers from Riven was from Disney, however I didn't know that Disney was working on something like this.

I would have gone for sure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

I remember reading about those plans at the time. That would have been so awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Emgee, I'm speechless and stunned... That would have been just THE awesomeness...
They would have been really very rich/wealthy by now... And WHAT an experience for us all!!!... :D

So, here's another interesting detailed article...

This is another site (from Disney's WDWorldMap) of the Treasure/Discovery Island's history/development
with Myst/the Millers mentioned almost at the bottom of this page as the Myst project was in consideration
after "Discovery Island officially saw its last guest on April 8, 1999" as they say... and further "Those talks,
however, ended abruptly in late 1999 and the island's future has remained sketchy since that time".
What makes this site interesting are the beautiful pictures of Discovery Island and there are two videos
at the bottom of that site as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

What if they had real linking books :shock: It could have been our chance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Why do you think the deal fell through... the disney rep working on it came across a trap book. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:45 pm 

Maybe Disney should make Myst: The movie
(based off one of the books.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:00 pm 
Obduction Backer

SpyMaster356 wrote:
Maybe Disney should make Myst: The movie
(based off one of the books.)

They Mysteriacs have that taken care of :)
http://mystmovie.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:48 am 
Obduction Backer

I do wonder if they'll revisit that basic concept for that island, as Disney considers adding a LOST-themed attraction to the park

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:56 am 

Hah! Do you think they'll explain all the things that they didn't in the show through the park?

Or more likely, just a huge riddle with no answer. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:50 am 
Obduction Backer

When it comes to others intellectual property, Disney is evil. Probably why it never went through is because Cyan wouldn't agree to "Disney's Myst Island". :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Neereus wrote:
When it comes to others intellectual property, Disney is evil. Probably why it never went through is because Cyan wouldn't agree to "Disney's Myst Island". :roll:

Not really? At least, not as far as the Disney parks are concerned. Things like Star Tours and MuppetVsion 3D (Disney didn't own the Muppets at the time) are both enjoyable and very true to their source material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

I never knew about this until Issac's most recent post. That would have been so cool; and they could have had a Riven style maglev taking visitors to and from the island. I would have payed to see it. Also, here's an article about it just found: http://marciodisneyarchives.blogspot.co ... -walt.html The island didn't look all that bad and kinda already resembles Myst Island.

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:51 am 
Obduction Backer

I wonder why there's still nothing there? Seems like there's all kinds of cool stuff that a theme park could do with a real island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:26 am 

I SO distrust disney with anything dear to me. The will make it "suited for families" or, delete any real and interesting human emotions, make it completely nostalgic, eat all it's originality and fit it into that mold they have, the one where the entire story/experience is so transparant and predictable from the beginning that it isn't worth watching anymore...

Look what they did to Tron * shivers in horror*. That's not even a franchise I care about, and still I kept flinching. They should've quit after beauty and the beast, or in any case a long long time ago, to renew themselves.

"All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth." - Nietzsche

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next