Achenar (From Myst) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gehn (From Riven and Book of Atrus) 50%  50%  [ 16 ]
Saavedro (From Myst III) 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Esher (From Myst V) 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 32
 Post subject: Who is the best villian?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Alright folks, here's another question who's relevance, (like the first) will only come into play in a few months: Which villain do you think is the best? I am not talking just about their actor's portrayal, but also their character, scheme, and motives.

Founder of MYSTAges
Self-declared Bahro Historian
Member of Mystitech Productions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oohh, tough choice.

I'm rather partial to Saavy since he's something of a villain "different" rather than the typical I-don't-care-about-anybody-but-me kinda guy. He was a decent person who went over the deep end when he thought his entire village had been destroyed by two very selfish boys. Gehn is a close second since I see him as being a tad like that too.

So I'm focusing on who I see as the most *interesting* villain (which is different from the "best" villain in the question, really).

If we're going with "best" as in most effective, I would say Ae'garis hands down. He managed to manipulate someone else into destroying an entire civilization just because he wanted to get even for what he saw as a personal injustice. And to this day, everyone still blames Ti'ana for it. Wow, talk about a master of the craft!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:21 pm 

Poor Saavedro, he got pushed over the edge by some guy who separated him from his family, who could blame him, and in the end (depending what ending you chose) when you let him go to find his family he was greatfull. Kinda reminds me of when Gametap was shut down

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Let's see... "Character, scheme, and motives": I assume you mean in the villainous sense, so the more cruel and driven, the better.
Should I say spoilers ahead?
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Saavedro is the antagonist, but is not a villain; what is he doing in this list? He resorted to violence only once he thought he lost everything. He put up quite some Goldberg machines, but nothing lethal. Hideous (in villainous terms).

Veovis is a pawn in A'gaeris' game. Bad enough, but a villain don't allows himself to be second to anyone.

Achenar starts as a genuine ax-crazy beast, but he mellows too much, eventually becoming an antivillain and (ew) sacrificing for his sister.

Sirrus. Now we get to serious business. Intelligent, driven, charming. But he never learned to Write, so could't really do massive harm; he doesn't have a particular grand scheme either. And was defeated by his dumb brother and a meddling Stranger.

Esher is a bit like Sirrus, but calmer. Except when he gloat like a self-respecting villain does. And he loved to skin Bahros, possibly making him a bit like Achenar, too. But he's defeated by the annoying, preachy sister of Sirrus and another random stranger. And start whining once the bahros get him.

Gehn. Grand schemer like Esher. Bad writer, but maaaaybe he was getting better at it in the end. You can dump him on an island of savages with no ink or Books: he will find a way to get back. And he dropped people in the Fissure just to see where they would end up. Took Atrus 30 years and the combined help of the Stranger and the Moiety to get rid of him. Personal favourite.

A'gaeris. Well, he caused the Fall for revenge, the classic of villain motives. Xanatos-gambler, mass murderer, racist enough, name it. Just a little blunder in the end, but it led to a worthy end. On objective terms, A'gaeris is the obvious winner.

Edit: added spoiler for improved aerodynamicity.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

Last edited by korovev on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:57 am 
Obduction Backer

I haven't read the books, so my choices are restricted to the in-game villains.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Rationale
And much as I like Saavedro, he doesn't feel like a villain to me, even though he plays that role for narrative purposes.

Esher would be a good candidate, if he didn't behave so ridiculous at the [good|bad] end.

The brothers are simply too shallow and selfish. (Can I nominate young Yeesha, for being the most annoying brat ever? :-)

So I'd have to go with Gehn, as he is the most formidable opponent with the grandest of schemes. Trying to kill your son in order to restore an ancient civilisation. Now that's more like it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:17 pm 

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I have to go with Gehn... Out of all of them, he seemed to have the most potential, and thus his fall from grace seems like the greatest waste. Gehn could have been Atrus, he could have grown up in the cleft and learned the lessons of self-sacrifice and humility, could have used his great mind to rediscover the Art, and gone on to create this grand legacy of reviving the D'ni in a new Age of his own authorship... but for his own hubris.

In many ways, Gehn is responsible for Releeshan and the end result of restoring the D'ni--- he taught Atrus, put Atrus on that path. But his great pride was a tragic flaw of Shakespearean proportions, and it corrupted almost everything in which he had a hand.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:17 am 

My experience with Myst is also pretty limited, having not read the books nor played Exile;

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I've never really seen Achenar as a villain so much as a pawn in Sirrus' plans, especially in Revelation. Having said that, Sirrus and Esher strike me as different types of greedy; Sirrus was originally a dominating man of influence in the ages he and Achenar plundered to accumulate wealth, then during Revelation he plotted to use his sister Yeesha to gain the knowledge of the Art and kill his father (I think he was doing that, I might not be remembering correctly). I can see both of these motives as very self-serving and designed to profit himself. My understanding of Esher is admittedly limited, but from what I gather he seems to be resentful of the fact that he failed to maintain possession of the tablet and very jealous of Watson as he came to use it and ultimately help to free the Bahro. Esher's greed stems more from fact that, unlike Sirrus, he lost his power by his own ignorance, and because it went to another person, more than actually seeking to reclaim the power, he wants to ensure that Watson falls into the same path he did and lose it himself. It's the sort of 'if I can't have it noone can' mentality.

Of course greed pales in comparison to a God complex, this is why I see Gehn as the ultimate bad guy in Myst. It's one thing to dominate the inhabitants of an age for profit, it's entirely another matter to dominate the inhabitants of an age under the delusion that you are superior to not just them but all things around you. What makes Gehn even more unlikeable to me is he bases his claim on a fundamentally inaccurate notion; the suggestion that he creates worlds through the Art, as opposed to merely linking books to worlds. His motives on Riven in the game well meaning, but are ultimately designed to perpetuate this more so, whether of not he would have succeeded wouldn't matter, he would still see himself a God. The very thought does actually sicken me a great deal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:02 pm 

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Saavedro is not evil in my opinion because he was exiled by Sirrus and Achenar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:13 pm 

My choice would have been :D
[Reveal] Spoiler:
for being obsessed with multiple players solving puzzles...
....Cyan===> Matchmaking trials???
How about more than one choice ?