It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

Will you have to buy a new computer to play Obduction?
Yes 40%  40%  [ 20 ]
No 34%  34%  [ 17 ]
I don't know 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
No but I will have to upgrade my existing computer. 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:30 pm 

Unreal engine test...
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/18160 ... on-your-pc

Since I want to play only adventure games I will not get a new pc for one game only. (I am waiting for the new Syberia 3)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:33 pm 

intel core i7-3610QM CPU @ s.30 Hz 2.30 GHz
8.00 gb installed ram...

I think I might have to get a new one....

Which means I probably won't be playing Obduction after it comes out T_T

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:02 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

There is no poll option for "I probably need to upgrade my existing computer, but with so many other more important things going on, that isn't going to happen anytime soon; I'm just happy to have supported the Kickstarter in some small way and helped make Obduction happen."

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:00 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
+1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:17 am 

Mac_Fife wrote:
There is no poll option for "I probably need to upgrade my existing computer, but with so many other more important things going on, that isn't going to happen anytime soon; I'm just happy to have supported the Kickstarter in some small way and helped make Obduction happen."

And an additional option I would vote for: "I probably do not NEED to upgrade for it to run well enough, but I might CHOOSE to upgrade to make it run even better." I am still in the research-before-making-a-decision stage right now, evaluating price vs. performance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:07 am 

I made this poll since I had concerns that a lot of the Myst community would not be able to play Obduction when it came out. This would hurt sales, at first. I don't think this is enough data to tell what sort of 'shape' the community is in computer wise. It does show that about half the people who voted have to make some sort of upgrade to play the game. This result is 'better' than I expected. (though the 14% who selected 'I don't know' could fall into either camp.)

I forgot to return to the thread.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I expect that most of the Myst *community* -- that is, people you've heard of from these forums, Mysterium, or the Cavern -- were backers if they plan to play at all. So they're not in the possible-sales pool. (It's a small group overall, anyhow.)

It's still useful as a sample of potential Obduction players. Not people *in* this community, but the much larger range of people with similar gaming habits.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:35 pm 

belford, I was thinking along those lines but did not want to go into that much detail. I was also thinking they might be some backers who may not be able to play the game they invested in at this moment.

I don't know how much the myst "community" reflects adventure game fans in general.

I also don't know too much about statistics but I'm not sure I have enough data to make any sort of assessment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:47 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Cyan pushing the hardware boundaries is not really new: Back in 1993 when Myst first launched, most PCs in circulation at the time didn't have a CD-ROM drive and adding one would set you back $300+ (or about $500 in today's terms, so not dissimilar to some of the "upgrades" being talked about here). Myst probably helped sell a lot of CD-ROM drives for home PCs.
Even Uru in 2003 wanted "decent" graphics and audio (although I can't remember now just where the requirements fitted in against the top-end benchmarks of the day). But over time, I think a lot of people here in the Uru community have possibly gotten used to the idea that "Cyan represents gaming on a budget" - I think that's just how things have gone in the last 10 years or so, rather than being where Cyan intended to be.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:54 pm 

First time I stumble on this topic.

I should be good for Obduction! :lol:

i7-6700K @ 4.01GHz
24 Gb RAM
Windows 10 64 bits
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2 Gb dedicated RAM
Storage more than enough...

I hope they open a lot of mirror downloading sites when they release the game because 20 Gb per kickstarter donator, it will be quite demanding. I bought a DL copy like most people (I'm assuming). I don't mind the 20 Gb, I mind the rush on servers after the long wait.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
But over time, I think a lot of people here in the Uru community have possibly gotten used to the idea that "Cyan represents gaming on a budget" - I think that's just how things have gone in the last 10 years or so, rather than being where Cyan intended to be.

Or, since Cyan hasn't been releasing games as frequently as they used to, some people haven't had the need to upgrade until now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:58 pm 

Mac, I thought upgrading your computer to play the latest Myst game was a common thing but I was not sure, so I didn't say anything.

Personally Myst IV was a big reason why I got a my first DVD-ROM drive and URU was one of the reasons I got an ATI Radeon 7000. Lastly we bought a new sound card to try and fix stuttering in Myst III but it turns out it was a video card issue.

I agree, a lot of people see Cyan as making games that will run on anything since they have not relased anything like this in many years.

Bty nice rig Annable :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:46 am 

"The Manhole" and "Cosmic Osmo" ran OK on my Macintosh SE. Along with other Hypercard-based games.

I heard about "Myst" but lack of a CD-ROM stopped me, and by the time I got a Power Computing Mac clone in 1997 the game had been put on the back burner. Then a friend gave me the copy he'd bought but hadn't enjoyed. "Riven" also ran on that machine.

"Myst 3" blew up. I bought a friend's more powerful Mac but even that couldn't keep up so I bought a PowerMac G4. That one did the job. I think it also worked on Myst 4.

When "Uru" came along I borrowed a PC to play it. The experience wasn't good because the graphic card just couldn't handle it. In early 2005 I bought a PC whose salient feature was no fans. The borrowed machine had sounded like a constant tornado. The new one played the game much better; I could actually see what I was doing. Then I got DSL and started playing "Until Uru." And copying CDs to the computer. Two historic changes in one machine.

That machine became flaky. I kept having to fiddle with it to eke more life out of it but by 2010 it was on its last legs so I bought a quiet replacement. In 2013 something inside that one blew up and sprayed gunk all over. The 2013 replacement ran for a time, until its video card died. When I replaced that with a GTX960, things got much better. I think this one will run "Obduction," if I buy it.

So, yes, I'm quite familiar with buying computers to do what I want them to do. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Well, I think I'm about ready. The new computer is built, though I'm having issues with one of the solid state drives, and I'm still tweaking things and getting all of the updates in. URU is running fine, and I just got Guild Wars 2 loaded. Most of this is being done with a 21" monitor, but I've also connected it to the 43" 4K VIZIO TV in the computer room and it looks great.

Specs:
Intel i7 6700K 4-Core 4GHz +
ASUS Maximus VIII Formula motherboard (1151 Z170 chipset)
32GB 3200 Corsair memory (4x8GB)
Samsung 500GB Solid State Drives (x2)
2TB Western Digital Hard Drive.
Zotac Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1080, Founders Edition graphics card
Blu Ray RW drive
Multi-Memory card interface
Corsair H100i v2 liquid CPU cooler
EVGA Supernova 850 G2, 850W power supply
Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower case.
Windows 10, 64 bit.

I'd originally planned to go with the ASUS Max VIII Hero Alpha motherboard, but the last one my local Micro Center had turned out to not only be an "open box", but the CPU socket was damaged as well. Of course, I didn't find that out until I got it home, meaning another 54-mile round trip to the store the next day. I'm still very annoyed with Micro Center, and the reviews I intend to write will reflect this. :evil:

Yes, this machine is a little "over the top", but that's how I usually build them in order to "future proof" them for at least a few years. The last one has held up pretty well for about 10-years, though both the original graphics card and power supply have had to be replaced when they failed.

So far, I'm not impressed with Windows 10. It seems overly complex, and things aren't where they belong. But, I wanted the capability of using multiple monitors with different resolutions, and Windows 7 doesn't support that very well, as I found with my HP workstation at work, mixing a 28" 4k monitor with a 21" 1080 monitor for engineering and CAD work.

Frankly, this is better than either my HP or Dell workstation towers at work, and cost about half as much. 8)

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:04 pm 

Many older sets of hardware can be upgraded. The generation of motherboards that use the LGA-775 CPU socket is old. Many of those machines were sold with different CPU's balancing cost and performance. Now that balance point has changed.

Now the top of the line CPU for a LGA-775 socket is cheap. The Core2 Quad 3ghz released in 2008 goes for about US$50 on eBay. The most difficult part of that upgrade is watching out for static electricity and cleaning off and replacing the heat sink material.

The new Intel i5 CPU's are quad core too but, they use the LGA-1151 socket. They will not work with LGA-775 sockets. They have better tech and will out perform the old Core2. The comparison I found this morning only goes to the i5-4690K. The latest 6th gen i5 is the i5-6600K. The 4590 is a little less than 4 times faster then the best old Core2.

The i7's are about 10% faster than the i5's.

So, while Core2's may not provide the best game play for Obduction, if it will run, a CPU and graphic card upgrade might let you struggle through. We'll know how that works, or doesn't, next month.

I was surprised to find the i7's not the hot choice on many of the gaming sites. The Extreme i7's even less so. There is improved performance with an i7 over an i5. But, the 50% price increase for 10% increase in performance seems to have made the i5 more popular. So, for now I'm trying to catch an i5-6600K CPU for $200... next year I can upgrade to an i7.

In Uru Live I had to deal with lag. In SL I have to deal with lag and low frame rates. I wonder if it will be any worse using an old computer to run Obduction...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image