It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Anyone developing with Unity3D has a pretty clean path to shipping Mac and Windows at the same time. At least, that's what I see coming out on Steam.

However, most of the really nice-looking games now are Unreal Engine. And that seems... rockier. Unreal4 *supports* MacOS, but -- as we see with Obduction -- it's not a turnkey option.

I am not going to try to say whose fault this is. (Not my field. The last time I touched 3D game tools, Myst had no sequels.)

My summary of the situation: The Mac line is in a weird state right now. OpenGL is being deprecated in favor of Apple's Metal API, and Unreal is working through that change. Also desktop Macs are all a couple of years old at this point. The laptop line has been partially renovated, but getting high-end graphics is still way expensive compared to the Windows world. All of this puts indirect pressure on game developers.

Maybe in a year there will be competitive high-end iMacs and a new Mac Pro, Unreal will fully support MacOS, and Obduction will be multiplatform. Or maybe not. Like I said, I gave up and installed a Windows box this year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:52 pm 
Obduction Backer

To everyone who posted a recommendation for Quern - thanks!!!
Just finished it - fantastic game.
Loved it!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:23 pm 

I see "Robin Miller" was a tester for Haven Moon. It's now $5.00, so you should definitely pick it up! Let the buyer beware there are a lot of trial and error puzzles and a couple of "find the hotspot" puzzles at the end.(this may not be for everyone) Also, a couple of puzzles requires you to be able to hear well. Still worth playing in spite of this!

In the writer's defence, "making good puzzles is hard." -- author of Myst The Comedy Text Adventure