It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Message From Doobes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:13 pm 

“Endings are just another form of beginning, I guess…and the harder an end is to face, the more hope we bring with us to the next beginning.”

– Atrus

Those words are a favorite quote of mine from Myst IV. It applies to many transitions in life. We’ve all experienced them at one time or another and in varying degrees. After much contemplation and after a culmination of events and realizations, it’s time for my next ending and beginning.

Effective immediately, I hereby step down as Guild Master of the Guild of Messengers.

I do not make this decision easily, but I feel it’s necessary for many reasons. For starters, I’ve held the position for four and a half years, which is about half the life of the Guild itself. I also feel it’s time for someone else to step up and take the reins alongside Korov’ev.

Finally, and most importantly, personal events have caused me to re-examine certain aspects of my life. There’s other things I want to put my focus on and I don’t want the GoMe to suffer with a Guild Master whose heart just isn’t completely in it anymore.

To put it simply…it’s just that time.

I delayed this announcement a bit while we got the new site up, but with a fresh start for the site now well on its way, I feel it’s now my turn.

I will stay in place in a minor capacity for one month to see if a replacement can be found. If not, I recommend the two positions merge into one, since let’s be honest: the Guild isn’t quite as busy these days. One person should be able to handle things in their spare time, and I have every faith in Korov’ev. If business picks up some time in the future, it can be split back into two and hopefully someone will be up for the position.

This does not mean I’m leaving the Myst community or the Guild entirely, however. Much like when I turned over moderation duties for the All Guilds Meeting, I’ll still be around…just more in the background. The people in the Myst/URU community still have a special place in my heart and I doubt I could ever completely leave. Plus I still want to be involved in other various projects, including my Age building, the Book of Lothias, and my partnership with MystiTech Productions and The Lost Art.

So that’s about it. I’ll be seeing you all around…although I won’t be one of the “bosses” anymore. ;)

– Doobes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I think you're right - the GM work can be done by one person now and Korov’ev can handle it. I hope some of your free time is spent working on your ages. Thank you for all the time, energy and wisdom you've given to the guild and to the community. We've all benefited from it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

'Standing Ovation' for Doobes.

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 pm 

Too many times I have read such message. But what can I do. :(

Charura wrote:
'Standing Ovation' for Doobes.
+1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:23 pm 

Sirius wrote:
Too many times I have read such message. But what can I do. :(

Again, not leaving for good. Just giving up my title (and some duties) so someone else can have a crack at it. I'll still be around. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:13 pm 

I guess I overreacted, since I heard a few times people saying "it's that time" and "I'll just be in the background", and then suddenly disappearing entirely from the community. I'm glad to realize that's still far from what you intended to say ! :)
Still, good job on all the work you did for the GoMe. Cheers to Korov'ev and whoever might take your place, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:15 pm 

Thank you for all you've done Doobes! I think we all go through this transition in life at some point. But we all must step down and live life as it is. Someone is always going to be there to pick up the slack and do a fantastic job. I'm sure Korov'ev will do a fantastic job, as he already is. You have nothing to worry about. See you around in the cavern! :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, it’ll be alright (starts flailing around in panic) :lol:

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Visit the GoMe site.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:29 am 
Obduction Backer

in accordance with the ancient law of RAWA...

:)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:14 am 

korovev wrote:
Yeah, it’ll be alright (starts flailing around in panic) :lol:

Oh, you'll do just fine, Kor. Assuming we can't find another member of the Guild to step up (which looks to be the case), I have no doubt you'll be able to handle things on your own.

It's a piece of cake these days anyway. ;)

On another note, we've jokingly begun referring to the GoMe IRC channel as the "retirement home" since Leo, Ly, Luna and myself still frequent it from time to time.

Of course, I pointed out since none of us are anywhere near the age of 65, it's a wee bit inaccurate. :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:11 pm 

Life is mostly [I think at least] always about our choices and priorities...
I wish you all the best in what ever you choose, Doobes! And I'm sure our
paths will cross again at some point!

And you should know that the Messengers will always be in fond memories
with me! Just alike MOULa itself will of course be too! I'm glad to have
taken part on that Journey!... And the Ending is not yet written!