It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:01 am 
Obduction Backer

A reminder that tomorrow Microsoft will stop supporting Windows Vista; after tomorrow, Vista will no longer receive any security updates.

Support for XP ended on April 8th 2014, and for Windows 7 will end on January 1st 2020.

KI #46116. Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
Want to know what’s going on in the Cavern? Get tweets from the GoMe.

MacOS wrappers, D’ni Lessons, DniTools, goodies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:05 pm 

Do you think that those three guys left that are using Vista frequent this forum? :P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 pm 

Thanks for the reminder, Vista is not as bad as some people think it to be, so I am sure there are people who are using it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

10 (tune) me up....

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:34 am 
Obduction Backer

There are still people who delude themselves into believing that using Windows XP is a good idea...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:17 am 
Obduction Backer

I've been historically fine with Vista, but for me, it's been dead for months. I've not been able to get any Vista machine to update after a point, and all Internet searches for help have been useless, often directing me to Microsoft Windows pages that no longer have what I need. Months ago I upgraded those that I'd put off upgrading to 7, and on all others I've installed Ubuntu.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:58 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

AdamJohnso wrote:
There are still people who delude themselves into believing that using Windows XP is a good idea...

I'd venture to suggest that there are probably more bits of kit still running XP than Vista; probably not "consumer" PCs but in other things as it was popular as an "embedded OS" in things like digital oscilloscopes and logic analysers - when you've spent $35k on a 'scope you don't ditch it easily ;) But you also don't (generally) connect it to the Internet. We have a lot of stuff like that at my work, but they're only allowed to be connected to isolated networks.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:58 am 
Obduction Backer

I think the embedded XP stuff is still supported by Microsoft? I remember a bunch of folk were hacking their consumer XP installs so it would think it was an embedded XP variant to still get patches. I assume the dummies who did this eventually bricked their OS :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:58 am 

I think it's dead now. XP Embedded had a life, both as a product and as a supported item, that was maybe one or two years longer than the consumer versions of XP. It was basically XP Professional but with a different product code. For all versions, there was an option to purchase an extra year of support if you were a big enough customer (a lot banks had to go for that as their ATMs were mostly XP).
After XP came off retail, one of our Industrial PC suppliers used to offer to supply PCs with XP Embedded installed since they could still get licenses for that. Never bought any but the claim was that there was no practical difference from XP Pro.
I still have an XP laptop in my garage (not networked) because it's the only thing that runs the Peugeot/Citroen diagnostics software for my car's ECUs :?

In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:12 pm 

AdamJohnso wrote:
I think the embedded XP stuff is still supported by Microsoft? I remember a bunch of folk were hacking their consumer XP installs so it would think it was an embedded XP variant to still get patches. I assume the dummies who did this eventually bricked their OS :roll:

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 still has support until 9 Apr 2019.
That's what I have installed on the VM I run old games on (like Myst)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:28 pm 

Yep XP is still a great OS for a computer that is not networked.

As per Vista, I had a laptop that came with that OS and it was not as bad as people said. Now Windows ME I have tried to use that on a Pentium 4 computer and had to go back to Windows 98SE. I think it is as bad as people say.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

When 8 came out, people said 7 was so much better.
When 7 (well, Vista) came out, people said XP was so much better.
When XP came out, people said 95 was so much better.
When 95 came out, people said 3 was so much better.

When Windows came out, people said DOS was so much better.
When DOS came out, people said BASIC was so much better.
When BASIC came out, people said COBOL was so much better.
When COBOL came out, people said binary was so much better.

:arrow: In ten years people will be praising Win 10 over whatever iteration will then be current :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Harrumph!

Here's some background, not quite so funny, but a bit more supportable. I'm particularly bugged by that seamless step from Operating Systems to programming languages you committed there...

7 is often described as "Vista-fixed", but it is not Vista and never has been.

95 was OK, XP was better, 7 is better still.

95 is preceded by 3.1, but it gets tricky here as you have to say whether you mean 3.1x, the DOS-based GUI or NT 3.1, David Cutter's rewrite of OS/2.

MS-DOS comes before that. Minicomputers are still quite new, and mainframes still common, and in both cases you must now descend into a mess of machine-specific OS's. Being an old DEC-hand I still have nostalgia for VMS.

BASIC is a programming language and not an operating system. Beginners All-purpouse Symbolic Instruction Code.
I've never seen COBOL compared to BASIC, the two are so far apart - COBOL is another programming language, designed for business users, and usually reviled as being unstructured.
Before high-level languages you have assemblers and machine code.
I don't know of anybody who programmed in binary, beyond knowing how to set the switches on a console to get some of the early machines to boot...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Oh yes, of course there’s always the Good Reason Why Mine Is An Exception :P

BASIC was, in a way, the operating system of the ZX and the Commodore, before there were ‘actual’ OSes.

And about binary: The Story of Mel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:12 pm 

AlanD wrote:
I don't know of anybody who programmed in binary, beyond knowing how to set the switches on a console to get some of the early machines to boot...

Well, not so much "binary" as octal, but it's debatable. Cold booting a DEC PDP-8 needed need the instructions loaded via the paddle switches on the front, which were arranged in groups of three to make octal digits. If you did that right, you could then load a paper tape using the reader on the attached teletype (at around 50 baud). That would then let you load a z-fold paper tape from the high-speed punch tape reader and in turn that would then let you load your application from the mag tape reader. Ah, those were the days, when you could count RAM sizes in kilobytes (if you were lucky).